[net.unix-wizards] password restrictions

mo@Lbl-Unix@sri-unix (11/18/82)

From: mo at Lbl-Unix (Mike O'Dell [system])
Date: 14 Nov 1982 14:20:15-PST
A new version of passwd is all well and good, but what do you do about
300 crufty users already on your system?  Well, have I got a deal
for you -- "blesspw", a little program which grinds over your
password file checking for obviousness derivable from the password line,
and for others you give it to check (typcial problem - you create
new accounts with default passwords the people are supposed to change
but don't).  The program might not be everything you would want,
but it is a flexible framework.  If people are interested, I could
submit it to the list, or make it available for ftp or some such.
I suspect, however, this is a good reason for the membership-audited
list.
	-Mike

jhh (11/19/82)

A restrictive passwd program coupled with password aging
should keep short passwords off the system, plus the aging
will cause the old crufty users to change their passwords
to the new more restricted password.  At BTL-IH, users cannot
log on until they have changed their default password to one
meeting restrictive password triviality tests.

			John Haller