[rec.birds] Pet Birds?

rdouglas@hpihoah.HP.COM (Robert Douglas) (05/23/89)

Here's a question for all you bird-keepers out there.

A few years ago I kept Zebra Finches.  I enjoyed, greatly,  watching and listen-
ing to them interact, but, in terms of a pet, they did not quite measure up.
They became very nervous when I approached the cage, even slowly, and would
flutter around, running into walls, etc.  I finally got them to eat out of my
hand, but they still were very nervous in my presence.

I would like to get another bird, but this time I would like one that was
amiable with humans.  I was hoping I could get an opinion on what birds would
make good pets from you kind people in net.land.  I am placing a limit on
what I can get in terms of price.  I do not want to pay hundreds of dollars
for a parrot or other such beauty (even though I do love their personalities).

If you reply recommending what type of bird you think I may enjoy (and the bird
that would enjoy me) could you also discuss such things as food, clipping wings,
and how much noise they  make (I know lovebirds make some quite amazing rackets
for their size).  Thanks much in advance.

Robert Douglas ---------------------- rdouglas@hpcup60.HP.COM

lbechtle@uceng.UC.EDU (laurie bechtler) (05/24/89)

In article <5880001@hpihoah.HP.COM>, rdouglas@hpihoah.HP.COM (Robert Douglas) writes:
> I would like to get another bird, but this time I would like one that was
> amiable with humans.  I was hoping I could get an opinion on what birds would
> make good pets from you kind people in net.land.  I am placing a limit on
> what I can get in terms of price.  I do not want to pay hundreds of dollars
> for a parrot or other such beauty (even though I do love their personalities).

How about a good old parakeet?  I love birdwatching and about five
years ago decided to try having one as a pet, but, like you, didn't
want to spend a lot of money when I didn't know I would like it.
Well, Mickey is extremely tame and a lot more personable than I would
have ever imagined.  He is a standard blue parakeet.  I never clipped
his wings after they grew out the first time and I think that had a
lot to do with his personality.  Of course, I live alone so there's
no one else to mind his little messes, but for the most part he hangs
around in just his favorite window-wells and on his playground (a
wicker shelf on the floor full of bird toys).  I leave the cage open, but
he prefers to sleep in there.  That's handy because on weekends I close
it up and cover it so I can sleep late.  Yes, he can chirp pretty loud,
but he respects the cover.  He doesn't talk, but I admit I didn't spend
time repeating phrases to him when he was young.
   Parakeets definitely know their owner(s), they can live to 10 or 15,
they are easy to care for and are domestically bred.  It's a good pet
for me, living in apartments as I do.  I would hate to keep a big parrot's
wings clipped, but that would be like a B-52 flying around, not to mention
the squawking.

lw0y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laurie Walz) (05/24/89)

Dear Robert:

I suggest that you look into getting a baby hand-fed cockatiel.
You'll pay about $65-100.  They make wonderful pets -- are very
affectionate and gregarious and will adore interacting with you,
and they are easy to care for -- just keep it warm, clean, well fed,
(seeds, fruits, veggies, etc) and give it lots of attention.
They can learn to talk in cute raspy voices and whistle, but
"naturally" they kind of "cheep cheep" -- not really noisy.
My cockatiels are easily as affectionate and companionable
as my cockatoos, without the disadvantages of the larger
birds (noisiness in many individuals, expense).
I think you'll find most people on the net will agree
with this assessment.  Many bird keepers think that cockatiels
are the best pet of all birds, regardless of expense.

Be sure to get a hand-fed baby, though, and also be sure you will be
able to give it lots of attention, because a cockatiel is a very
intelligent bird which requires companionship and a stimulating
environment.  I would also recommend you deal with a breeder and
not a regular pet shop.  There is an excellent magazine available
called Bird Talk which has the names of breeders across the
country in its back pages -- good place to start.

The "regular" breed, grey with white patches on face, with bright
orange cheeks are most readily available and least expenseive, but a wide
variety of mutations -- white ones, yellow ones, grey ones with lacey
markings -- are also widely available, though you pay more for these.

Be sure to get a bird that is already sweet and tame.  Given
proper care, it will be your best buddy for the next 20 years.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

                                               LW

noonan@cbnews.ATT.COM (D. J. Noonan) (05/27/89)

From postnews Fri May 26 13:22:11 1989
In article <5880001@hpihoah.HP.COM>, rdouglas@hpihoah.HP.COM (Robert Douglas) writes:
> I would like to get another bird, but this time I would like one that was
> amiable with humans.  I was hoping I could get an opinion on what birds would
> make good pets from you kind people in net.land.  I am placing a limit on
> what I can get in terms of price.  I do not want to pay hundreds of dollars
> for a parrot or other such beauty (even though I do love their personalities).
> Robert Douglas ---------------------- rdouglas@hpcup60.HP.COM

I also think parakeets make excellant pets.  They can be extremely friendly.
We have had several over the years (as pets).  They all have learned
to sit on your shoulder, whistle, and respond back to your own whistling.
They have also learned to fly to us.  Once tame, they seen to be friendly
to most everyone.  My wife does clip there wings when they are young,
but as they get older and tamer it becomes unnecessary.  My wife has
been breeding them for a number of years and has hand tamed a  lot of
babies for new pet owners.  Parakeets can be as affectionate and amusing
as other pets.  We also have a small dachsund and both the dog and the bird
can be very affectionate, to the point that sometimes they are both competing
for our attention.  The key to taming is to get a bird that has just been
weened from the nest (this is probably true for other types of pets).
To do this you will probably have to go to a breeder in your area.
Some ways to find local breeders are: Pet store bulletin boards, Ask a local
Veterinarian (especially those that specialize in pet birds), and a magazine
called 'Bird Talk'.

If you have more questions about breeders in your area, or care, feeding,
treatment when sick, or even breeding of parakeets, I will gladly pass them
along to my wife who is pretty knowledgable on all of the above.

Dennis Noonan	asr1!noonan	AT&T Bell Labs Columbus, Ohio.