[rec.birds] sick budgie?

root@compugen.UUCP (System PRIVILEGED Account) (05/29/89)

My female 7 year old budgie has spent the last week sitting on a perch
such that her tail feathers are positioned towards the ceiling (they are
propped against the cage). She seems to be drying her anus. What do you think?
She doesn't look healthy, compared to a jeuvenile male in the same cage.
When I watch her perching at other times, recently, every breath causes her
tail to oscillate. She also spends a lot of time whistling
once per breath.

She has access to lots of fresh seed (2-3 weeks bought from the store),
cuttlebone, water (at most 3 days old in a dark colored container with
vitamin supplement), and the occasional millet spray branch. Thanks.

john@compugen.UUCP (John Beaudin) (05/30/89)

My female 7 year old budgie has spent the last week sitting on a perch
such that her tail feathers are positioned towards the ceiling (they are
propped against the cage). She seems to be drying her anus. What do you think?
She doesn't look healthy, compared to a jeuvenile male in the same cage.
When I watch her perching at other times, recently, every breath causes her
tail to oscillate. She also spends the majority of the time whistling
plaintively with every breath. I mean softly ...tweet, tweet, tweet...
She has access to lots of fresh seed (2-3 weeks bought from the store),
cuttlebone, water (at most 3 days old in a dark colored container), and
the occasional millet spray branch. Thanks.

lw0y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laurie Walz) (05/31/89)

If she is not eating, has abnormal looking droppings, or is
comparatively inactive, you've got a sick bird.

I highly recommend taking her to the vet as soon as possible.  She
might be having some intestinal distress, or some reproductive
problem that is very serious.  Be warned that birds become
critically ill in only a very short period of time.  For example,
should she stop perching and sit on the bottom of her cage, you
have an emergency on your hands.

                                    LW

bjb@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM (Barbara Bowen) (06/01/89)

In article <1338@compugen.UUCP> john@compugen.UUCP (John Beaudin) writes:
>My female 7 year old budgie has spent the last week sitting on a perch
>such that her tail feathers are positioned towards the ceiling (they are

Sounds like egg binding to me. - hopefully she'll still be alive when
you get home tonite - try the following:
	1.   Remove perch, bird needs to be down low to conserve
		strength.  Put heating pad under cage, cover 3/4
		of cage with towel.
	2.   Warm up oil - cooking oil, mineral oil, baby oil,
		NOT motor oil!  Use small medicine dropper or
		1 cc tuberculin syringe (minus needle) for oil.
	3.   You need to lubricate the vent with warm oil, massage,
		then place bird back into cage.  Tail pumping
		indicates trying to lay an egg.  It is tiring &
		stressfull, you may need a vet.  Don't let her
		go any more than 4 hrs. after lubrication.
Do you know what a vent is?  Do you have any idea how dangerous
egg-binding is?  She could still die from peritonitis.  If you
don't know the above, get her to a vet.  (PS - email bounced)
EMAIL:  barbara.bowen@Orlando.NCR.COM   (...ncrlnk!ncrorl!bjb)
			"Bird-brain is a misnomer!"

john@compugen.UUCP (John Beaudin) (06/01/89)

In article <541@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM  bjb@ncrorl.UUCP (Barbara Bowen) writes:
  Sounds like egg binding to me. - hopefully she'll still be alive when
  you get home tonite - try the following:
  	1.   Remove perch, bird needs to be down low to conserve
  		strength.  Put heating pad under cage, cover 3/4
  		of cage with towel.
  	2.   Warm up oil - cooking oil, mineral oil, baby oil,
  		NOT motor oil!  Use small medicine dropper or
  		1 cc tuberculin syringe (minus needle) for oil.
  	3.   You need to lubricate the vent with warm oil, massage,
  		then place bird back into cage.  Tail pumping
  		indicates trying to lay an egg.  It is tiring &
  		stressfull, you may need a vet.  Don't let her
  		go any more than 4 hrs. after lubrication.
  Do you know what a vent is?  Do you have any idea how dangerous
  egg-binding is?  She could still die from peritonitis.  If you
  don't know the above, get her to a vet.  (PS - email bounced)

Yes, she's still alive and visibly improved but still spending 50% of her time
as described formally. I just rec'd the posting at the time of this mailing
(late). It's too late to gather the materials (no dropper, no heating pad).
I will remove all the perches however, and off to the vet 1st thing in the
morning (specializing in birds). Thank you all for your replies.
P.s. my email also bounced.

bamford@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Harold E. Bamford) (06/02/89)

In article <1332@compugen.UUCP> root@compugen.UUCP (System PRIVILEGED Account) writes:
>My female 7 year old budgie has spent the last week sitting on a perch
>such that her tail feathers are positioned towards the ceiling (they are
>propped against the cage). She seems to be drying her anus. What do you think?
>She doesn't look healthy, compared to a jeuvenile male in the same cage.

If you suspect she's ill, then get her away from the healthy bird!!!!

-- Harold