[rec.birds] Question on Killer Budgies

jsl@ihlpm.ATT.COM (00771a-Levy) (06/07/89)

I raise English budgies and would like to pose a question
to other breeders.  I have some females who are particularly
aggressive towards their offspring when the fledgling is about
4 weeks of age and the mother is about to lay a new clutch.
These females go so far as to savage and kill a chick and so
have to be removed from the breeding cage.  The father is then
forced to complete the raising of the chicks.  The question is:
can anything be done to prevent such behavior and do you feel
such females should not be bred?  I have other females who don't
seem to mind older chicks walking all over their new clutch.
This problem is very upsetting and mysterious.  I tried going
to a larger breeding cage (2' x 1' x 1') with no results.
Thanks for any help,
Janet Levy

carl@nemesys.UUCP (Carl Eichert) (06/08/89)

In article <3633@ihlpm.ATT.COM> jsl@ihlpm.UUCP (Levy,J.) writes:
>I have some females who are particularly
>aggressive towards their offspring when the fledgling is about
>4 weeks of age and the mother is about to lay a new clutch.
>These females go so far as to savage and kill a chick and so
>have to be removed from the breeding cage.

I have a couple of references for you.  While they are not specific to
English Budgies, both make claims about the intolerance of the hen toward
the chicks when she wants to start a new clutch.

For example (from "Budgerigars" by George A. Radtke):
	Some hens that have started a new clutch after their young
	leave the nest become very aggressive against their young,
	biting and injuring them dangerously.  This is why it is
	advisible to separate the young birds from their parents
	within two to three days and put them into a small cage with
	a feeding cup directly in front of them.  Most of the birds
	will adapt easily and the younger ones are often fed by
	their older brothers and sisters.  One might also put older,
	unattached males with them in the same cagem and they will
	take over the feeding.  This way you can eliminate a lot of
	losses.
Essentially the same thing is said in "The New Parakeet Handbook" by
Immanuel Birmelin and Annette Wolter.

My personal feeling is that the hens simply don't "understand" why they
can breed so often and go a bit crazy.  In the wild, the hens breed much
more infrequently based on availability of food, etc.

Carl J. Eichert
uunet!ladcgw!nemesys!carl

--
Carl Eichert  ...!uunet!ladcgw!nemesys!carl
	      carl@ladc.bull.com