[rec.birds] Can you identify this mystery raptor?

mostardi@ux1.lbl.gov (David Mostardi) (06/09/89)

On Tuesday 6/6, I was in the Dallas suburb of Highland
Park.  I was having a late (8:30 pm) dinner at an
outdoor cafe, when...

An unknown raptor flew overhead.  I had my binoculars,
but it was so dark that I could not make out many
features.  The shape suggested a falcon: sleek wings,
strong wingbeats, and occasional steep dives.  Two
individuals spent the next 20 minutes overhead; the
call was a short ascending squawk, perhaps 10/min.

The only field mark I would swear to were white
'elbow' patches, both on the bottom and tops of the
wings.  I can't swear to a white throat patch.

The aggravating part is that I can't find *any*
raptor which resembles what I saw.  Any help
out in birderland?

Thanks

David Mostardi			"Guess what, Dad!  Those chocolate
MSRI, Berkeley			   diskettes fit right into your
mostardi@ux1.lbl.gov		   computer, no problem!"

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (06/09/89)

David Mostardi (mostardi@ux1.lbl.gov) writes:
>On Tuesday 6/6...An unknown raptor flew overhead.
>...The shape suggested a falcon: sleek wings,
>strong wingbeats, and occasional steep dives...
>call was a short ascending squawk, perhaps 10/min.
>...white 'elbow' patches, both on the bottom and tops of the
>wings.  I can't swear to a white throat patch.

Did you consider the kites?  I saw a bird yesterday and
was trying to make it into a falcon because it had
pointed wings and a longtail, but its wingbeats came
steadily and slowly, while the big falcons tend to
flap in bursts and then glide.

The fact that you couldn't see any field marks suggests
that maybe the bird was not strongly patterned.  I think
the bird you saw might have been the same species I saw:
Mississippi Kite.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
USENET: ucbvax!unmvax!nmtsun!john  CSNET: john@nmtsun.nmt.edu ``A lesson from

tjo@edsel.siemens.com (Tom Ostrand) (06/10/89)

 > features.  The shape suggested a falcon: sleek wings,
 > strong wingbeats, and occasional steep dives.  Two
 > individuals spent the next 20 minutes overhead; the
 > call was a short ascending squawk, perhaps 10/min.
 >
 > The only field mark I would swear to were white
 > 'elbow' patches, both on the bottom and tops of the
 > wings.  I can't swear to a white throat patch.

 I would suggest a NIGHTHAWK. Everything you describe supports
 this, especially the white elbow patches.  Do you remember the
 bird's size?  Nighthawks overhead seem to be somewhere between
 jays sand crows.
 The steep dives could be male courtship displaying.

    Tom Ostrand   (tostrand@cadillac.siemens.com)
	Siemens Research Laboratories
	755 College Road East
	Princeton, NJ  08540
	(609)-734-6569

--
    Tom Ostrand   (tostrand@cadillac.siemens.com)
	Siemens Research Laboratories
	755 College Road East
	Princeton, NJ  08540
	(609)-734-6569

lrasmuss@dante.nmsu.edu (Linda Rasmussen) (06/10/89)

Regarding the raptor in the dusk question...
> An unknown raptor flew overhead.  I had my binoculars,
> but it was so dark that I could not make out many
> features.  The shape suggested a falcon: sleek wings,
> strong wingbeats, and occasional steep dives.  Two
> individuals spent the next 20 minutes overhead; the
> call was a short ascending squawk, perhaps 10/min.
>
> The only field mark I would swear to were white
> 'elbow' patches, both on the bottom and tops of the
> wings.  I can't swear to a white throat patch.

Would you swear this was not a Nighthawk (probably Common Nighthawk
in Dallas)?  The time of day, diving flight, and white elbow patches
all fit, as does the possible white throat patch. Nighthawks don't
have white on *top* of the wings, though, but I think that could be
mistaken in the field.   I had to look it up in the book
myself because I couldn't remember, even though I see them (Lesser) all
the time.  Another difference from what you describe is that the
Common Nighthawk call is more like a short, sour, plucked banjo string.

Still, it sounds an awful lot like a nighthawk.  Did you see anything else
that would eliminate this as a possibility?

         Linda Rasmussen                  lrasmuss@dante.nmsu.edu
         New Mexico State University           (505)646-5598

jimf@ihlpf.ATT.COM (YES) (06/12/89)

In article <2795@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, mostardi@ux1.lbl.gov (David Mostardi) writes:
> On Tuesday 6/6, I was in the Dallas suburb of Highland
> Park.  I was having a late (8:30 pm) dinner at an
> outdoor cafe, when...
>
> An unknown raptor flew overhead.  I had my binoculars,
> but it was so dark that I could not make out many
> features.  The shape suggested a falcon: sleek wings,
>
> The only field mark I would swear to were white
> 'elbow' patches, both on the bottom and tops of the
> wings.  I can't swear to a white throat patch.

How about a nighthawk? They usually come out about dark!

zcnj01@gpb6.uucp (Cecil N. Jones) (06/13/89)

 (David Mostardi) writes:
> On Tuesday 6/6, I was in the Dallas suburb of Highland
> Park.  I was having a late (8:30 pm) dinner at an
> outdoor cafe, when...
>
> An unknown raptor flew overhead. The shape suggested a falcon:
> sleek wings, strong wingbeats, and occasional steep dives.
> the call was a short ascending squawk
>
> The only field mark I would swear to were white
> 'elbow' patches, both on the bottom and tops of the
> wings.

Sounds like a nighthawk (nightjar or goatsucker family).  Common
in this part of the country, and they come out early evening to
catch flying insects.

  Cecil N. Jones    Amoco Production Co.  Tulsa, OK
  @apctrc.uucp
  The opinions expressed are solely my own.