[rec.birds] hummingbird feeders and nectar

jimf@ihlpf.ATT.COM (YES) (04/21/89)

In article <1360@naucse.UUCP>, rrw@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) writes:

> From article <2806@lindy.Stanford.EDU>, by GC.SUL@forsythe.stanford.edu (MIKE SULLIVAN):
> > Its recommended NOT to put red food color in hummingbird nectar. It
> > is unnecessay and harmful to the birds.  Remember hummingbirds have

I know it's popular to assume that every food additive is harmful, but
do you have a real source that backs up this statement. I have a book,
written by a vet, that recommends food coloring as an attractant. Of
course, if your feeder is red, you don't need it anyway.

When do hummingbirds show up in northern Illinois?

kaufman@maxzilla.Encore.COM (Lar Kaufman) (04/22/89)

In article <8306@ihlpf.ATT.COM> jimf@ihlpf.ATT.COM (YES) writes:
>In article <1360@naucse.UUCP>, rrw@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) writes:
>> From article <2806@lindy.Stanford.EDU>, by GC.SUL@forsythe.stanford.edu (MIKE SULLIVAN):
>> > It's recommended NOT to put red food color in hummingbird nectar. It
>> > is unnecessary and harmful to the birds.
>
>I know it's popular to assume that every food additive is harmful, but
>do you have a real source that backs up this statement. I have a book,
>written by a vet, that recommends food coloring as an attractant. Of
>course, if your feeder is red, you don't need it anyway.

It probably isn't particularly harmful, but it certainly is
unneccessary, so why do it?  Just about any hummingbird feeder has a
red tip on the feeder tube, and a hummingbird will be attracted to it.
If you have a feeder without a red tip, just paint the tip with red
nail polish (while the feeder is clean and dry, of course).  You can
make a waterer for a guinea pig or rat cage do the job just fine by
painting the tip of the tube red.  It works best to paint about a
quarter of an inch on the inside of the tube, too.

  -lar

 "the only way boss                      Lar Kaufman <= my opinions
 to keep hope in the world
 is to keep changing its
 population frequently"                          kaufman@Encore.com

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (05/04/89)

In article <8306@ihlpf.ATT.COM>, jimf@ihlpf.ATT.COM (YES) writes:

 > When do hummingbirds show up in northern Illinois?

	Probably early to mid April. They should remain until about
early to mid October.

Mike

kan@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Casali) (05/06/89)

In article <41369@oliveb.olivetti.com>, mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:
> In article <8306@ihlpf.ATT.COM>, jimf@ihlpf.ATT.COM (YES) writes:
>  >
>  > When do hummingbirds show up in northern Illinois?
>
> 	Probably early to mid April. They should remain until about
> early to mid October.
>
> Mike

Wrong,
They dont show up at the feeders until Memorial Day.
They disappear mid September. They must not be
able to take the cold nights. When I first fed them
I thought that I might wrongly encourge them to
stay if I did not remove the feeder. They were
smarter than that and just disappeared one September day.

Kathy

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (05/09/89)

In article <10423@ihlpb.ATT.COM>, kan@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Casali) writes:
 > >  >
 > >  > When do hummingbirds show up in northern Illinois?
 > >
 > > 	Probably early to mid April. They should remain until about
 > > early to mid October.
 > >
 > > Mike
 >
 > Wrong,
 > They dont show up at the feeders until Memorial Day.
 > They disappear mid September. They must not be
 > able to take the cold nights. When I first fed them
 > I thought that I might wrongly encourge them to
 > stay if I did not remove the feeder. They were
 > smarter than that and just disappeared one September day.

	The intent of my posting was to indicate the extremes of the
time frame in which to expect appearances of the Ruby Throated Hummingbird
in the northern half of Illinois. I derived this range from the following