[rec.birds] humming bird feeders

GC.SUL@forsythe.stanford.edu (MIKE SULLIVAN) (04/09/89)

I just found an old box of Perky Pet Hummingbird Nectar.  After
re-reading the box I am again advising people with hummingbird
feeders to use ONLY sugar and water in their feeders.  The correct
proportion is 1 cup sugar to 4 cups water.  I bring to the point of
boiling, and cool off and store in the refrigerator.  This
concentration most closely approximated natural flower nectar.  Do
not add red food color!  Most feeders have enough red on them to
attract the hummingbirds.  Getting back to the Perky pet formula-it
is mostly sugar anyway, with red artificial coloring added.  The box
also MISADVISES that it is okay to double their powder concentration
as "the birds won't need to feed as often".  This is both untrue and
dangerous advise.  A higher sugar concentration will cause liver
damage and reproductive problems.  These people are causing much
more harm that good.

Also, another word on feeders-keep them out of the sun. keep CLEAN
and change nectar at least once a week.  NEVER let them run out-If
you have attrated lots of hummingbirds to the yard, and the feeder
goes dry without additional plantings of hummingbird plants, you can
cause serious problems.  Having a feeder up is a serouis
committment.

Karen Sullivan
HUMMINGBIRD GARDENS NURSERY

nobody@tekecs.GWD.TEK.COM (-for inetd server command) (04/12/89)

In article <2652@lindy.Stanford.EDU> GC.SUL@forsythe.stanford.edu (Karen SULLIVAN) writes:

> Also, another word on feeders-keep them out of the sun. keep CLEAN
> and change nectar at least once a week.  NEVER let them run out-If

You should change the nectar DAILY or at least every 2 days, and clean
the inside of the feeder thoroughly with soap and hot water.  Otherwise
it ferments and you have drunken, sick birds.  It's the same principle
as moldy seed - the birds don't know enough to stay away from the
stuff, and the microorganisms make them ill.  I seem to remember
reading something about damage to internal organs (liver?) from
fermented nectar, as well.

My husband and I are currently debating whether to put up a hummingbird
feeder because of the effort required to keep the feeder clean and full.

Barbara Zanzig
barbaraz@orca.WV.TEK.COM
{major backbone sites}!tektronix!orca!barbaraz

GC.SUL@forsythe.stanford.edu (MIKE SULLIVAN) (04/24/89)

All right, everybody, according to Louise G. Blakey of Los Altos who
has written a book called "Our Hummingbirds", the use of red food
color is NOT RECCOMENDED for the sugar-water solution.  She writes,
"The safety of red food coloring dye is in question."  Hummingbirds
have extremely high metabolisms and even small amounts of certain
substances (including pestcide sprays on plants) can be toxic.
Mrs. Blakey is a local authority of hummingbirds in the Bay Area,
and was one of the first people years ago to successfully
rehabilitate injured hummingbirds.

Also, the Droll Yankee feeder IS good, but it can be difficult to
keep clean.  I ended up buying several narrow, wire brushes, but
they have to be bent to reach into the feeder.  I had problems
keeping it clean even with the vinegar-water soak suggested by the
manufacturers.  Hummingbirds would rather feed from a feedeer with a
tube-type arrangement-the Perkey Pet Four fountains is good but you
have to be sure to pop out the inner disk to clean it properly.

Karen Sullivan
HUMMINGBIRD GARDENS nursery

alonso@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Darwin Alonso) (07/13/89)

Does anyone have any instructions for homemade humming bird feeders?
Can you use those small animal water bottles; you know bottle, rubber
stopper and small metal or glass tube? I recall someone saying that
humming birds will even feed from a saucer, but I want something
I can hang up.
I know we also talked about feeder formulae in this group,
but I didn't save the postings, so I would appreciate any recipes
you have.

Been pretty dead in this group recently, I hope you're all out
somewhere exotic looking at quetzales or aracaris.

Darwin O.V. Alonso                     alonso@boltz.ucsf.edu
U.C. San Francisco,                            or
wk. (415) 476-8910; home 564-8601      alonso@cgl.ucsf.edu

barr@frog.UUCP (Chris Barr) (07/20/89)

In article <11688@cgl.ucsf.EDU> alonso@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Darwin Alonso) writes:
>Does anyone have any instructions for homemade humming bird feeders?

I've succeeded with a test tube, wrapped around the top with reasonably
strong wire, attached horizontally to a branch.  Fill the tube with sugar
water & watch them hover.  Works best in flowering bushes that they come to.