[rec.birds] Cockatoo feeding problems

Chris_Del_Grande@cup.portal.com (07/17/89)

	I have an 18 month old non-domestic male Umbrella Cockatoo that will
not eat fruits and/or vegetables, which apparently they are supposed to con-
sume regularly.  We have tried mixing particles with his seed and no go.
Hand feeding usually works, except for the fruits and vege's.  Anybody who
may suggest alternative methods or specific types of food (fruits & vege's)
please contact me.  Thanks a lot.

Chris_Del_Grande@cup.portal.com

>	I have an 18 month old non-domestic male Umbrella Cockatoo that will
>not eat fruits and/or vegetables, which apparently they are supposed to con-
>sume regularly.

This is unfortunately not unusual.

>We have tried mixing particles with his seed and no go.

This isn't a good idea. The fresh stuff can spoil fairly rapidly and take
the seed with it. Better to use a separate cup for the fresh things, since
it can be cleaned easily that way.

>Hand feeding usually works, except for the fruits and vege's.  Anybody who
>may suggest alternative methods or specific types of food (fruits & vege's)
>please contact me.

Until you convince the bird to eat fresh fruits, consider adding a vitamin
supplement to either the food or water. Not a bad idea, anyway.

Teaching a bird to eat food sounds like it should be trivial, but it isn't.
Some birds just don't take to new things very happily and you have to coerce
them. One thing that helps is to try a wide variety of foods to find the
ones he wants. Another is to make sure that the foods are always available
in some form or another so the bird can get to them when he feels like
exploring. It's not uncommon for you to have to waste food for a few weeks
before the bird touches it, by the way.

What I've been able to do is convince my bird that his fresh food cup is
where all the neat stuff goes. Anything that goes in there is usually
immediately tried (I know -- I'm lucky.). That doesn't mean she'll like it,
but if she thinks it's a reward, she'll try it. She will also try it if she
sees mommy or daddy eating it, which isn't *always* a good idea (my bird
discovered ice cream. We now have to give her her serving if we want to keep
her from walking through our bowls).

Another thing you can try are foods that are also toys (and don't spoil
quickly). Corn on the cob and carrots are two things the bird can have a lot
of fun making kindling of and they're going to taste it when they do. My
birds love corn on the cob (except the cockatiels, who won't touch it). My
cockatoo loves bananas, walnut and spaghetti as well as many greens (except
kale, for some reason, but my canary and the cockatiels *love* canaries). I
had conures that loves grapes, but nobody else in the house will touch them.
Rice is a favorite, as is ice cream (but I don't recommend this, obviously.
I just don't have a choice).

Another thing we do is feed our bird some of our table scraps, especially
the veggies, although she likes chicken bones, been soup bones and other
meat scraps as well. For the most part, if it is healthy for you, it is
healthy for the bird (avocado and chocolate, by the way, are definitely not
healthy for the bird, and not necessarily good for you, either).

Getting the bird to eat is an exercise in finding something he'll eat and
then using that food to convince him to eat other things. It can take a long
time -- and you may never do so. But it's worth it.

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

You are false data. Therefore I shall ignore you.

mcclaren@euripides.cs.uiuc.edu (Tim McClarren) (07/18/89)

In article <33215@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

>>	I have an 18 month old non-domestic male Umbrella Cockatoo that will
>>not eat fruits and/or vegetables, which apparently they are supposed to con-
>>sume regularly.
>>Hand feeding usually works, except for the fruits and vege's.  Anybody who
>>may suggest alternative methods or specific types of food (fruits & vege's)
>>please contact me.

  If the bird takes readily to eating from your hand, use some fruit, such
as oranges or lemons, that you can squeeze juice from.  Hold the fruit over
the birds head, and as he opens his mouth squeeze out some juice as well
as offering the fruit.  For some reason, I find birds, especially cockatiels
and cockatoos, are averse to the textures of some foods rather than the
actual taste.

>(avocado and chocolate, by the way, are definitely not healthy for the bird
>and not necessarily good for you, either).

  As well as parsley, but you probably already know this.

Tim McClarren
mcclaren@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu

barad@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Herb Barad) (07/18/89)

In article <33215@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>	I have an 18 month old non-domestic male Umbrella Cockatoo that will
>>not eat fruits and/or vegetables, which apparently they are supposed to con-
>>sume regularly.
>
>This is unfortunately not unusual.

You're right.  It is not unusual with cockatoos.  The umbrella I have is a
great eater compared to many other cockatoos.  He will at least play with
most things and eat many of them.  His favorite is "greasy junk food" like
french fries.  This is not really good for him.

>Until you convince the bird to eat fresh fruits, consider adding a vitamin
>supplement to either the food or water. Not a bad idea, anyway.

I have got him to readily accept Instant Oatmeal (not too hot) with his
vitamins sprinkled on top.

His main food is Kelloggs Pellets.  I have heard from many avian vets that
pellets are the best diet you can have your bird on.  Unfortunately, it
is often hard to "convert" an easy eater to pellets (much less a picky
eater).

Good luck with your bird.

--
Herb Barad	Electrical Engineering Dept., Tulane Univ.
INTERNET:	barad@ee.tulane.edu

>His main food is Kelloggs Pellets.  I have heard from many avian vets that
>pellets are the best diet you can have your bird on.  Unfortunately, it
>is often hard to "convert" an easy eater to pellets (much less a picky
>eater).

A good pellet (like Roudybush, Kellogg or Purina) is supposedly
nutritionally complete and you avoid the problem of the bird picking their
way through the seed for their favorites. There's also less mess since you
don't have to sweat the seed hulls. On the down side, there's also no
variety, so you have to watch that the bird doesn't get bored with his food
(lots of fresh goodies help avoid this). And some birds just won't eat
pellets.

mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) (07/18/89)

In article <20519@cup.portal.com>, Chris_Del_Grande@cup.portal.com writes:

> 	I have an 18 month old non-domestic male Umbrella Cockatoo that will
> not eat fruits and/or vegetables, which apparently they are supposed to con-
> sume regularly.  We have tried mixing particles with his seed and no go.
> Hand feeding usually works, except for the fruits and vege's.  Anybody who
> may suggest alternative methods or specific types of food (fruits & vege's)
> please contact me.  Thanks a lot.
>
> Chris_Del_Grande@cup.portal.com

    Hi Chris -

        Has your umbrella been fed sunflowers seeds?  It's a young bird
    and it just might no be used to eating fruits and veggies.  Remove
    ALL it's seed for 1 day leaving only banana and cantelope (personal
    preferences).  If it doesn't respond in 1 day (ie: doesn't eat ANY)
    then switch back to seed for a day (never leave it without food for
    a day) and mix it with the same but fresh fruit.  If nothing happens,
    try celery and carrots.  I've always had luck using a WHOLE carrot since
    they play with it and eat it at the same time.  It's important that it
    learn to eat fruits and veggies and will often be a source or added
    vitamins you may want to give it (vitamins you add to water are useless).

kdb@intercon.uu.net (Kurt Baumann) (07/19/89)

In article <6468@cloud9.Stratus.COM>, mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) writes:
> In article <20519@cup.portal.com>, Chris_Del_Grande@cup.portal.com writes:
> >
> > 	I have an 18 month old non-domestic male Umbrella Cockatoo that will
> > not eat fruits and/or vegetables, which apparently they are supposed to con-
> > sume regularly.  We have tried mixing particles with his seed and no go.
> > Hand feeding usually works, except for the fruits and vege's.  Anybody who
> > may suggest alternative methods or specific types of food (fruits & vege's)
> > please contact me.  Thanks a lot.
> >
> > Chris_Del_Grande@cup.portal.com
>

>     Hi Chris -
>
>         Has your umbrella been fed sunflowers seeds?  It's a young bird
>     and it just might no be used to eating fruits and veggies.  Remove
>     ALL it's seed for 1 day leaving only banana and cantelope (personal
>     preferences).  If it doesn't respond in 1 day (ie: doesn't eat ANY)
>     then switch back to seed for a day (never leave it without food for
>     a day) and mix it with the same but fresh fruit.  If nothing happens,
>     try celery and carrots.  I've always had luck using a WHOLE carrot since
>     they play with it and eat it at the same time.  It's important that it
>     learn to eat fruits and veggies and will often be a source or added
>     vitamins you may want to give it (vitamins you add to water are useless).

Being in the process of weaning a 4.5 month old Molluccan Cockatoo, I add
a few things here.  First, sun flower seeds are BAD for your bird.  They
have a tremendous amount of fat in them.  Birds can die from heart problems
caused by eating sun flower seeds.  Second, we had to move one of our other
Cockatoo's off of seeds and onto pellets (I recommend these as they provide
all of the vitamins etc. that your bird needs).  We would grind up some pellets
and put the powder over the seeds, to get him used to the taste of the pellets.
Then we gradually cut back on the seeds and added more and more pellets to
his dish.  When we noticed him eating a few of the pellets we removed the
seeds altogether.  We now give sunflower seeds as a treat.  Third I have
heard of some people who have left their bird with just pellets in the bowl
for a couple of days.  Birds seem to pick up that they should eat it when
hungry (I don't recommend this, but it might work as a last resort).  The
above mentioned way of switching from day to day, may work better.

Hope that helps.--
Kurt Baumann

InterCon Systems Corporation
46950 Community Plaza
Suite 101-132
Sterling, VA 22170                      Phone: 703.450.7117

>First, sun flower seeds are BAD for your bird.  They
>have a tremendous amount of fat in them.  Birds can die from heart problems
>caused by eating sun flower seeds.

I've yet to see any serious research to back this point. Anecdotal evidence,
yes -- but the anectdotal evidence is for when you feed your bird sunflower
exclusively (or essentially exclusively). My cockatoo eats sunflower. One
reason for this is she refuses to eat safflower seeds, normally the
recommended replacement and almost as fatty.

There is nothing inherently wrong with sunflower as far as the research in
the veterinary press -- as long as it is part of a rational diet. If you
feed sunflower exclusively yes -- but if you only eat french fries, you get
what you deserve.

Sunflower seeds are and old wives tale. Lots of people think they're bad.
Nobody (that I have seen. I'd love to be proven wrong) has shown it. There
was an article by Roudybush (considered one of the top avian nutritionists)
in Bird World a while back saying he thought the sunflower issue was blown
out of proportion.

>Birds seem to pick up that they should eat it when
>hungry (I don't recommend this, but it might work as a last resort).  The
>above mentioned way of switching from day to day, may work better.

Some birds might. I definitely don't recommend this! Fussy eaters (cockatoos
especially) have been known to starve in the midst of plenty of stuff they
refuse to consider food. A bird can lose 10-15% of their body weight in a
few days of fasting -- and you have a sick bird. Be very careful weaning a
bird from one diet to another.

mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) (07/19/89)

In article <1283@intercon.UUCP>, kdb@intercon.uu.net (Kurt Baumann) writes:
> In article <6468@cloud9.Stratus.COM>, mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) writes:
> > In article <20519@cup.portal.com>, Chris_Del_Grande@cup.portal.com writes:
> > >
> > > 	I have an 18 month old non-domestic male Umbrella Cockatoo that will
> > > not eat fruits and/or vegetables, which apparently they are supposed to con-
> >         Has your umbrella been fed sunflowers seeds?  It's a young bird
> >     and it just might no be used to eating fruits and veggies.  Remove
> >     ALL it's seed for 1 day leaving only banana and cantelope (personal
> >     preferences).  If it doesn't respond in 1 day (ie: doesn't eat ANY)
> >     then switch back to seed for a day (never leave it without food for
> >     a day) and mix it with the same but fresh fruit.  If nothing happens,
>
> a few things here.  First, sun flower seeds are BAD for your bird.  They
> have a tremendous amount of fat in them.  Birds can die from heart problems
> caused by eating sun flower seeds.  Second, we had to move one of our other
> Cockatoo's off of seeds and onto pellets (I recommend these as they provide
> all of the vitamins etc. that your bird needs).
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Sorry, but I very much disagree with this point (though I don't
    disagree that you might have experience with avian diets) and
    might even be hitting on an avian religious issue.

     I'd like to expand on the sunflower seed issue.  EVERY bird
     requires a balance of mixed seed along with fruits and
     vegetables.  Yes, sunflowers are high in fat but are
     unfortunaley very tastey to birds and also unfortunately
     overfed by begginners and store owners because sunflower is
     a cheap filler.  HOWEVER, you should not totally eliminate
     it from the diet just as you should not eliminate other
     parts of the birds diet.  Moderation is the key and you are
     the holder of the birds food key, as it were.

     When my Nape was past a year old, I started him on Purina
     and he ate it immediately HOWEVER I didn't make it his sole
     food and don't reccommend anyone else do either.  I know
     that pellets are the hip thing right now (not messy, easy to
     use) but IMHO (and a couple vet friends) avian dieticians
     know VERY little about parrot nutrition since it is very
     complex and very foreign to them (ask a dog owner/breeder
     what diet is best and see how many answers you get).
     Certainly NO ONE is sure what vitamins parrots NEED and you
     will NEVER be able to provide every vitamin with one food
     (or one vitamin supplement).  Additionally, if you feed your
     parrots pellets this does not alleviate the need to provide
     vegetables and fruits AS WELL AS calcium (cuttle) and the
     yearly provision of grit).  You should only try to duplicate
     the birds natural diet as best you can which means variety
     as well as rationing.  Pellets are nice and every bird
     should be acclimated to them (about 2 tblspns per day MIXED
     with seed.  The seed should be the majority of the feed not
     the pellet) for times when you are away for longer than a
     day and for general nutrition since they provide good bulk
     which is why people often give their birds dry dog food (and
     why it's in most seed mixes).

    I'll followup tonight with a posting about proper parrot diet
     and seed mixes (if I find time).

    Michael

mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) (07/20/89)

In article <33215@apple.Apple.COM>, chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
> healthy for the bird (avocado and chocolate, by the way, are definitely not
> healthy for the bird, and not necessarily good for you, either).

    I'd like to emphasize this point.  Avacado pits and the pulp on the
    pits are DEADLY to birds, not just unhealthy.  The plant should
    also be kept away from parrots.

groh_m@apollo.COM (Michael R. Groh) (07/20/89)

Speaking of birds... I've got 2 Blue Front Amazons that,
for the most part, are happy and well behaved.  However,
every once in a while Spenser (2 yr old male) goes wild
and screeches, schreeches, and schreeches for a half hour
or so.  This usually happens when I'm not home - so you
can imagine how annoying it is to my neighbors.

The question is:  Has anyone else experienced this
behavior?  Were you able to cure it?  (HOW?)  Why is
he doing this?

I'd appreciate any help....

dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (07/20/89)

In article <4485502b.18c0b@apollo.COM> groh_m@apollo.COM (Michael R. Groh) writes:
>Speaking of birds... I've got 2 Blue Front Amazons that,
>for the most part, are happy
                        ^^^^^How do you know?!?

>                             and well behaved.  However,
                              ^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^^By whose rules of ettiquette?

>every once in a while Spenser (2 yr old male) goes wild
>and screeches, schreeches, and schreeches for a half hour
>or so.  This usually happens when I'm not home - so you
>can imagine how annoying it is to my neighbors.
>
>The question is:  Has anyone else experienced this
>behavior?  ...(phrase moved below)... (HOW?)  Why is
>he doing this?

All of the Amazons that I have experience with in the wild (I've seen 7
species, in Mexico, Costa Rica, and Jamaica) are VERY vocal creatures.  They
usually live in big flocks, of hundreds or even thousands.  They are wonderful
to watch and listen to, because they are form strong pair-bonds, and flocks
are flocks of pairs of birds, each pair flying very close together.  Shrieking
is VERY GOOD BEHAVIOR for an Amazon, I imagine.  It is the way to stay in
contact with the flock, inform them of good food sources, etc.  The two big
Amazon species of northeastern Mexico, Red-crowned and Red-lored, are difficult
to tell apart, even at close range.  But, thank goodness, they are very vocal,
and loud, and one says "Zeee Crack!  Zee Crack!"  and the other a mellow
"Cleo!  Cleo!", almost constantly while in flight.  They are especially
vocal during pre-roost gathering flights in the evening, a sort of assembly
bugle call.

>           Were you able to cure it?  (HOW?)

This is NORMAL BEHAVIOUS for Amazons!!!  There is nothing to "cure".
Maybe you should consider yourself lucky that they are retaining at least
some "normal" behavioral traits in the very abnormal environment that
you provide them with.  (Unless you have a few hundred acres of tropical
forest for them to overfly each evening.)

>I'd appreciate any help....

I recommend that you take a trip to the American tropics (before its too late)
and watch Amazons in the wild for a while, and then decide whether you really
want to keep them.  If you still do, then try to make their lives as "normal"
as possible, and don't try to modify their behavior according to human or even
dog & cat standards.

David Mark, Geography, SUNY Buffalo            [my own opinions, of course, not
dmark@cs.buffalo.edu                            (necessarily) SUNY's]

mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) (07/21/89)

In article <4485502b.18c0b@apollo.COM>, groh_m@apollo.COM (Michael R. Groh) writes:
> Speaking of birds... I've got 2 Blue Front Amazons that,
> for the most part, are happy and well behaved.  However,
> every once in a while Spenser (2 yr old male) goes wild
> and screeches, schreeches, and schreeches for a half hour...
> WHy is he doing this?

    He saw a great piece of wing on the TV and got horny?  He's
    immitating the vacuum cleaner?

    Seriously, welcome to the world of Amazon ownership.  There should
    be a kit ofr "us" that include ear plugs, gloves and contact lenses
    so we can dialate our eyes too.  Amazons are notorious for screaming.
    I can hear my Nape down the street if the windows are open.

    Deal with it.

mcclaren@euripides.cs.uiuc.edu (Tim McClarren) (07/21/89)

In article <4485502b.18c0b@apollo.COM> groh_m@apollo.COM (Michael R. Groh) writes:
>Speaking of birds... I've got 2 Blue Front Amazons that,
>for the most part, are happy and well behaved.  However,
>every once in a while Spenser (2 yr old male) goes wild
>and screeches, schreeches, and schreeches for a half hour
>or so.  This usually happens when I'm not home - so you
>can imagine how annoying it is to my neighbors.

	You didn't say if they were tame or wild birds.  Assuming they're
tame, they may want attention.  I've noticed the same thing in my Quaker
(screeches and screeches when I leave).  There isn't much you can do,
as this is pretty natural and normal.  But, if you're looking for quiet
birds, stay away from certain Amazon's and Conures, especially.  I can't
say as I'd recommend Quaker's either.  One is bad, two is risking your
sanity.  I've since started breeding Cockatiel's (boring, but quiet).

In article <1509@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcclaren@euripides.cs.uiuc.edu (Tim McClarren) writes:
> sanity.  I've since started breeding Cockatiel's (boring, but quiet).

    You nasty guy you.  Every cock I've had has been the most clowny
    and "fun to whistle to" bird I've owned.  They are also VERY loveable
    and loyal and heardy.  Boring, they ain't!

>    You nasty guy you.  Every cock I've had has been the most clowny
>    and "fun to whistle to" bird I've owned.  They are also VERY loveable
>    and loyal and heardy.  Boring, they ain't!

Definitely! My breeding pair are amazing clowns. Grace (named for her
ability to *never* figure out if you unlatch both legs while hanging from
the top of the cage, you fall -- gravity is not in her vocabulary) and
George are amazing fools. Grace sits there, looking dorky and screeching and
George spends his time whistling, preening and trying to prove to everyone
in the room that he's the biggest bird in the room and keep between them and
his female (he's not, by the way -- the cockatoo is). They've figured out
that dinner is a great time for fooling around -- we eat, George whistles.
Try explaining *those* noises to company sometime.

You know, they're a lot of fun to have around. A couple of cockatiels really
make a house sound lived in...

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

kdb@intercon.uu.net (Kurt Baumann) (07/23/89)

By the way sunflower seeds are 54.5% fat in content.  Now I don't know about
you but if you sat around all day in front of your computer eating a substancial
amount of food that contained 54.5% fat, you would get plump and probably
be in risk of having heart disease...  Just something to think about.  When
you DON'T HAVE TO feed sunflower seeds, why feed them?  The bird can get
everything they need from other foods.

--
Kurt Baumann

InterCon Systems Corporation
46950 Community Plaza
Suite 101-132
Sterling, VA 22170                      Phone: 703.450.7117

>By the way sunflower seeds are 54.5% fat in content.  Now I don't know about
>you but if you sat around all day in front of your computer eating a substancial
>amount of food that contained 54.5% fat, you would get plump and probably
>be in risk of having heart disease...

Actually, there are a number of people I know who do eat that kind of diet.
Ever look at the nutritional breakdown of a Winchell's donut, a big Mac and
a couple of slices of Pizza?

>Just something to think about.  When
>you DON'T HAVE TO feed sunflower seeds, why feed them?  The bird can get
>everything they need from other foods.

There are multiple things that a bird gets from food. One major aspect of
the food is, of course, the nutrients -- the vitamins, fats, proteins etc.
Dietary 101 stuff.

The other very important thing is calories. Unlike many programmers,
birds (especially cockatoos) don't always get as many calories as they
should -- keeping a bird up to weight is as important as keeping the
bird full of nutrients, because an underweight bird is a sick bird (or
a dead bird). I could feed my cockatoo a no-sunflower seed mix and make
all my no-sunflower friends really happy -- and end up with a bird
that's seriously underweight in just a few days, because my bird won't
eat safflower. A healthy food is only good if the bird eats it. I do
what I can to make sure Morgan gets as varied a diet as I can (and,
frankly, she only touches her seed dish a couple of days a week, since
she's usually stuffed full of other things, like bananas, walnuts, spaghetti,
beef shanks, chicken legs (cooked. We don't want salmonella!), pork
chop bones, a good curry and corn on the cob (her favorite these days
-- like any three year old, anything that makes a mess is a *lot* more
fun) so I don't consider it a big deal. But if it was safflower and she
was hungry, she'd stay hungry. That doesn't seem like a decent
trade-off to me. If *all* Morgan ate was sunflower I'd be worried, but
since I have to convince her to eat her bird food (as opposed to people
food, which is her preference) I don't mind.

I'd much rather have bird eating 'unhealthy' seeds (although I am not
convinced from the evidence, as I've said) than not eating at all.
The optimal diet, actually, is eating what we eat -- within reason, table
scraps are a great diet for a bird, if you're eating healthy. Avoid fatty
foods, especially deep-fried foods and sugared stuff and you'll be okay.
Have some leftover veggies or macaroni and cheese? Give it to your bird --
but watch out. If they take a liking to it, you may never dine at leisure
again. Morgan is known to wallow in ice cream bowls these days. I don't
encourage it, but she doesn't listen. So she gets her own spoon of ice
cream, just to keep her quiet (small amounts -- enough to keep her occupied.
There's something about a bird clenching a spoon and sucking every little
bit of ice cream off of it that is *so* cute...)

mcclaren@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Tim McClarren) (07/23/89)

In article <33336@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

> [stuff about entertaining pair of cockatiels]

Compared to my other birds, the cockatiels just aren't as much fun as pets.
I like breeding them though.  I haven't sold one of the chicks yet.  Just
can't bring myself to let them go.  My girlfriend has half and I have
half.  However, all my cockies make noise EXCEPT for the pair.  Don't
know exactly why that is, but they're very quiet (even the others pall
in comparison to my Quaker).

Tim McClarren
mcclaren@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu

mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) (07/25/89)

    Yes, sunflower is high in fat but you shouldn't eliminate it
    from the diet unless of course, it's all your bird picks out of the
    the mix.  Sunflower causes fat sacs to collect around the lungs
    and heart and limits (physically) the expansion of the lungs.

ooblick@intercon.uucp (Mikki Barry) (07/25/89)

In article <33394@apple.Apple.COM>, chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
> There's something about a bird clenching a spoon and sucking every little
> bit of ice cream off of it that is *so* cute...)

Especially the first time the bird tastes the ice cream.  I don't think
they realize it is COLD!  CyberPink (baby Moluccan) just HAD to have some
of the Ben and Jerry's I was eating.  The look of shock when the black and
pink tongue encountered that cold but yummy substance was quite amusing.

After the initial shock however, I was not allowed to eat the rest of my
bowl undisturbed.

Mikki Barry
--

mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) (07/26/89)

In article <6468@cloud9.Stratus.COM>, mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) writes:
> In article <20519@cup.portal.com>, Chris_Del_Grande@cup.portal.com writes:
> >
> > 	I have an 18 month old non-domestic male Umbrella Cockatoo that will
> > not eat fruits and/or vegetables, which apparently they are supposed to con

>     Hi Chris -
>
>     ...try celery and carrots.  I've always had luck using a WHOLE carrot since
>     they play with it and eat it at the same time.  It's important that it
>     learn to eat fruits and veggies and will often be a source or added
>     vitamins you may want to give it (vitamins you add to water are useless).
.
.
.
    So Chris?  Did your umbrella ever eat carrots?
.
.
.

    Michael