[rec.birds] Name that bird; I have one

Tycho@cup.portal.com (Chris Nanine Hall) (07/31/89)

I was birding over the last weekend and saw a bird which has
me stumped.  I consider myself a pretty fair birder, but I
know eastern birds better than western.  Here are the details:
Location: Small pond with cattails, on Sonoma Mt. in Sonoma
County, CA. General habitat is oak/grass land.
The Bird: Very plain, brown, finch size; no wing bars, eye ring
or any other distinguishing characteristics.  Seed-like finch
bill, dark legs. Wings were dark brown, the rest of body was lighter brown.
Bird was in cattails, making "cheep" like call notes.
My guess: Female Indigo - too far west? My bird too brown.
          Female Varied Bunting - way out of range but looked
most like this in Nat. Geo. bird book.  Hmmm

Your answer????

dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (07/31/89)

In article <20890@cup.portal.com> Tycho@cup.portal.com (Chris Nanine Hall) writes:
>The Bird: Very plain, brown, finch size; no wing bars, eye ring
>or any other distinguishing characteristics.  Seed-like finch
>bill, dark legs. Wings were dark brown, the rest of body was lighter brown.
>Bird was in cattails, making "cheep" like call notes.

My guess is a juvenal Brown-headed Cowbird.  The "cheep" calls suggest a
begging recent fledgling.  None of the standard cattail birds seem to fit the
description, and cowbirds could have parasitized a Common Yellowthroat
or some other innocent marsh-breeding passerine.  The juvenal should look
pretty much like the female BHC in plumage-- very plain.

David Mark

amber@scott.stat.washington.edu (Amber Tatnall) (08/01/89)

Sorry to be so picky, but Juvenal was a Roman satirical poet.  Juvenile
is what some people would like to be after that hit some dreaded age.

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (08/01/89)

Amber Tatnall (amber@scott.stat.washington.edu) writes:
> Sorry to be so picky, but Juvenal was a Roman satirical poet.

I believe the ``juvenal'' spelling is acceptable.  Steen's
_Dictionary of Biology_ gives two definitions: (a) as a
synonym for juvenile, and (b) referring to the plumage
following the natal down.

(Sorry to post a spelling flame, but when I tried
to e-mail this, it bounced.)
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
USENET: ucbvax!unmvax!nmtsun!john  CSNET: john@nmtsun.nmt.edu ``A lesson from

dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (08/01/89)

In article <2135@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu> amber@scott.UUCP () writes:
>Sorry to be so picky, but Juvenal was a Roman satirical poet.  Juvenile
>is what some people would like to be after that hit some dreaded age.

"JUVENAL.  Term applied in ornithology to the plumage of a young bird that
comes in immediately after, or succeeding, its natal down. ...
   Some passerines, or songbirds-- for example, sharp-tailed sparrows and
seaside sparrows-- wear their juvenal plumage for 2 or 3 months, but most
songbirds lose it shortly after leaving the nest by molting all the body
feathers into the postjuvenal (prebasic) or first-winter plumage of the
so-called immature bird."  [Terres, J.K. (ed), 1980, "The Audubon Society
Encyclopedia of North American Birds", p. 562]

"JUVENILE.  See definition under Nestling."  [op cit., p. 562]

"NESTLING.  ... ... ...  According to Wood (1946), a juvenile is a young bird
that is out of the nest and able to care for itself but has not completed its
postjuvenal molt."  [op cit., p. 626]

Here's another authority:

"... Reference is frequently made in the descriptions in this book to juvenal
plumage.  This is the first plumage acquired after natal down.  The juvenal
plumage is usually worn but a short time, and is not to be confused with the
term "juvenile," which is applied to any immature bird and its plumage at
any stage."  [Godfrey, W.E., 1986, "The Birds of Canada (Revised Edition)",
p. 12]

So, to be really correct, I should have said a "Brown-headed Cowbird in
juvenal plumage" or a "juvenal-plumaged cowbird", since only the plumage
can be juvenal, and not the bird itself.

(I wonder what Juvenal-the-Roman-satirical-poet would have to say about all
this?

David Mark
dmark@cs.buffalo.edu

nora@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nora.y.mclaughlin) (08/02/89)