[rec.birds] Unknown Bird

gmr044@leah.Albany.Edu (Gregg Recer) (08/03/89)

In Message-ID: <2299@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> moe@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (patrick.j.kelley)
writes:

>I saw a pair of birds three weeks ago which I have never seen before.
>The one
>had dark wings and body with a red belly, brighter than the robins. Its
>mate had the same pattern but with a yellow belly.

            (Remainder deleted)

At first I thought of Scarlet Tanagers (you didn't mention the
head or tail color) but after a second read I noticed the mention of
dark wings _and body_ (presumably the back).  Sounds like orchard
orioles.  The males are deep red underneath, black on wings, head and
back.  The females dark above and green-ish yellow below.  Hope
this helps.

Gregg