[rec.birds] Hawk watching in Pennsylvania

jklee@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Kin Wah Lee) (08/11/89)

In article <3063@nmtsun.nmt.edu> john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:
>Hawk watching is splendid in the fall at the Marin Headlands

I've also heard about a legendary place called "Hawk Mountain" which
is purported to be somewhere in Pennsylvania. I have a few questions
regarding this place:

(1) Does anyone know where this is and how one can get there ?
(2) When is the best time to go?

I already know about the big weekends at Cape May (I'm planning on
attending this year) but I would also be interested in seeing Hawk
Mountain if possible.  Thanks a lot.

JIM (jklee@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)

mk2r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Paul Krenitsky) (08/11/89)

>I've also heard about some legendary place called "Hawk Mountain" which
>is purported to be somewhere in Pennsylvania.

First, I'm not sure of the directions but I can get some eventually.
However,
some one else will probably post them first.
Hawk Mountain(actual name) is in the Appalachians somewhere around
Harrisburg,PA.
It is a main flyway for all types of raptors in Eastern N. America, and
until the 1930's
was frequented by hunters.  Hawk Mountain is the highest peak in the
vincinity
(I think, I was only 9 when I was there last) and the raptors just
barely clear it.
This means that hawks can be in easy viewing range, occasionally even
landing on
the peak. Some wildlife federation then bought it and stopped the
wholesale slaughter.
Hearsay :
September through November are the months to go, naturally.  In
September, there is a
wide mix of accipeters, buteos, falcons and occasional other raptors. In
October the
volume increases greatly to maximum, with tremendous flights of
Broad-winged Hawks.
In November, flights are scattered. Small volume, but the best potential
for something
unusual. Mainly eagles, ospreys and I think turkey vultures.

Hawk Mountain used to be king, until some guy in Cape May proved that IT
is the
place for peregrines and other falcons, not to mention migrants.  Still,
it is definitely
a worthwhile trip.

Arguably, the most bizarre, unexpected, unusual, once-in-a-century
sighting happened
at Hawk Mountain in the 1950's.  There had been great flights of hawks
on previous
days, but this day was a letdown.  Thus, most of the observors were not
preoccupied
when a small seabird suddenly came from the north, circled Hawk Mountain
for a

minute or two, and then flew off, not to be seen again.
The only record in North America of a Kermadic Petrel, resident of the
Southern
Hemisphere and native of (I think) the Indian Ocean.  A photograph was
made, and
deliberations went on for twenty years until it was listed as an
official sighting,
Peterson's Eastern Field Guide lists it as a probable sighting in the
back under Unusual
Seabirds.
			Mark Krenitsky

dune@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Greg Pasquariello) (08/14/89)

In article <kYsWBty00W0-E1N0V3@andrew.cmu.edu> mk2r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Paul Krenitsky) writes:
>>I've also heard about some legendary place called "Hawk Mountain" which
>>is purported to be somewhere in Pennsylvania.
>
>September through November are the months to go, naturally.  In
>September, there is a wide mix of accipeters, buteos, falcons and occasional
>other raptors. In October the volume increases greatly to maximum, with
>tremendous flights of Broad-winged Hawks.  In November, flights are scattered.
>Small volume, but the best potential for something unusual. Mainly eagles,
>ospreys and I think turkey vultures.

September is the best month for broadwings.  They will peak around the
20th or so.  Large flights of accipiters will begin by the end of Sept,
with peak sharpshin  flights either late in Sept., or early in October.
Both species will continue thru October, but after the monster broadie
flights are done, they will be somewhat rare.

Although I have never seen a Bald Eagle at Hawk Mountain, they peak at
my local mountain (Mt Peter, Greenwood Lake NY), in early September.  I
believe that if we started our watch in August, they would really be in
good numbers in the last week.

Kestrels, peregrines, and other falcons come at all times, with most of
them peaking in early October.  Unfortunately, "peaking" for these species
is nothing like a large broad-wing flight.

November is indeed the best time for oddities.  This is the most likely time
for Golden Eagles, Goshawks, maybe some Rough-legs.  This is also the best
time for Red-tails, as large numbers of them pour down the ridge.

Whenever you go, you are likely to be treated to a spectacle.  Enjoy!

Greg Pasquariello
...!att!picuxa!gpasq