[rec.birds] What is this bird?

nora@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nora.y.mclaughlin) (08/15/89)

This is a guess the bird game, only one problem,  I have only one
small clue, not because I am trying to be tricky, but because I
have only heard it and never saw it.  The bird has a most unusual
song and I'll try to explain as best I can.

Here it goes.

It sounds like it is whistling through a long tube (if you ever did
this you know what I mean).  And it makes this sound in 3 or 4  whistles
that start high and kinda end low.  And the only time i remember hearing
it is in the early evening before dusk.  Now , I live in North New
Jersey and I hear this guy in the woods behind my house.  I live be
watershed property which also has some ponds in the area.y
watershed property and there are also some ponds nearby.  Good luck and
the clock is ticking!

Nora
(ps thanks)

dune@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Greg Pasquariello) (08/15/89)

In article <1471@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> nora@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nora.y.mclaughlin) writes:

>It sounds like it is whistling through a long tube (if you ever did
>this you know what I mean).  And it makes this sound in 3 or 4  whistles
>that start high and kinda end low.  And the only time i remember hearing
>it is in the early evening before dusk.  Now , I live in North New Jersey
>Nora

Do you live in West Milford perhaps?  That is where I am from!
Anyway, the only bird that I can think of is perhaps a screech owl, except
it has a quavering whistle that starts high and ends low.  Sometimes it
sounds like a horse whinny.  I would be interested in knowing what it is,
because I do about 90% of my birding in the Pequannock Watershed.

Greg Pasquariello
att!picuxa!gpasq

gss@edsdrd.eds.com (Gary Schiltz) (08/15/89)

In article <1471@cbnewsl.ATT.COM>, nora@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nora.y.mclaughlin) writes:
/>
  This is a guess the bird game, [...]

  It sounds like it is whistling through a long tube (if you ever did
  this you know what I mean).  And it makes this sound in 3 or 4  whistles
  that start high and kinda end low.  And the only time i remember hearing
  it is in the early evening before dusk.  Now , I live in North New
  Jersey and I hear this guy in the woods behind my house.  [...]

>/  Nora

Sounds like a Veery to me.  By the way, "It sounds like it is whistling
through a long tube" is the best description of thrush calls I've heard.
In fact, this prompted me to try a little experiment: try rolling up a
piece of paper into a tube, and under your breath, sort of whisper/whistle
"Vee-ree-ree-ree" in descending syllables into the tube.  It sounds to
me at least a little bit like a Veery.

---

     /\   What cheer,  /\       | Gary Schiltz, EDS R&D, 3551 Hamlin Road |
    / o<    cheer,    <o \      | Auburn Hills, MI  48057, (313) 370-1737 |
\\/ ) /     cheer,     \ ( \//  |          gss@edsdrd.eds.com             |
   \ /      cheer!!!    \ /     |       "Have bird will watch ..."        |