[rec.birds] bird begging

mikeb@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Mike Burger) (08/09/89)

	As an adjunct to a previous posting, I got involved
in a discussion of bird begging.  Not the kind involving
young juveniles begging from their parents, but birds begging
for handouts from humans.  It is quite common here in Hawaii.
	Excluding common flocks of pidgeons that are found
in park areas where people feed them regularly, I was wondering
how common begging is with other bird species, especially in
mixed flocks, in other parts of the U.S.
	The mixed flocks of begging birds near many regular
human feeding areas are so common here that one assumes it is
common everywhere.
	You see  birds in mixed flocks that stake out
all sorts of eateries like McDonalds and the campus center
cafeterias.  Maybe it is because so many lunch places
in Hawaii have outdoor tables. Also the continous Spring
here may allow birds to become more settled in patterns
of behavior.

	Begging is the only word to describe the behavior.
The birds do not appear until a human with food sits down.
Then they fly right up to him. The sparrows (House Sparrows)
will land right on your table next to your tray.  The cardinals
(Red-Headed) will often come close enough to perch on a chair back
opposite you.  The Zebra Doves that make up the bulk of the
beggers just wander aimlessly around stupidly at your feet.
Red Vented Bulbuls keep their distance, but move in quickly
to grab anything interesting.  Large Lace-Necked Doves are
often included, but are so shy that even the Zebras intimindate
them in spite of a huge size difference.
	The Zebras are everywhere and major in stupid.  They
will nearly let you step right on them before they move. Yet
they are a fantastically successful species.  They provide
endless hours of fun for the large number of wild cats on
campus, and not a few meals judging from the piles of feathers
found here and there.  They nest everywhere and do not require
trees, anywhere off the ground will do, man-made or natural.
	Attempts to scare these birds off results in only momentary
reaction.  None of the begging birds mentioned shows any great fear,
even the smart ones like the bulbuls.  I have only seen the
red vented ones in the begging flocks, the red whiskered ones
are fairly common on campus, but do not show up with the other
beggers.
	The cardinals and sparrows will sit and watch each
mouthful of food as it travels from your plate to your mouth.
They will sometimes cheep at you, but not "beg" in the sense of
the way a young juvenile will follow the mother around cheeping
like crazy.  I have seen juveniles in the begging flocks
following around a mother begging from her as she checks out
the action on the human to bird side of things. Both juvenile
sparrows and zebras have been seen harrasing mothers who were
begging.
	This "begging" is more like a starving dog watching you
eat with large pitiful eyes until guilt gets the best of you
and you toss them a piece of cracker or bread crust.
They pounce on it instantly, fighting over it at once.
The sparrows, begin ever resourceful, will often fly up and
grab it out of the air.  The victors rush to a corner to devour
it and then come quickly back for more.  The crackers that
come with the soup are an all around favorite.
	The most obvious behavior is on the part of the
smarter birds. The zebras just come when a human sits
down and mill around under the table back and forth,
back and forth. They often pass the time between morsels
with courting behavior.  It is the sparrows that come up and
give you the big eye treatment with the cardinals close
behind at a more respectable distance.
	The bulbuls are mostly thieves.  They wait until
something is thrown and then dive in and grab it, often
bullying the others out of the way.  They are extremely
agressive.  This method is also used by the cardinals to
a lesser extent as well as the sparrows.  The zebras are
the omipresent vacuum cleaner for what is missed by the
grabbers.
	The agression on the part of sparrows has even
rarely gone far enough to try to grab a cracker off the
far corner of the tray, but only a few of the very boldest
of the birds come up on the table.  Even the zebras will
fly up on a table, however, if they see the sparrows
getting away with it in front of an amused human.
	The behavior gets much bolder during Christmas
and other long holidays when the handouts get fewer and
further between as places like the campus center empty
out.  The flocks seem firmly locked into a favorite
single begging area.
	A typical large group of beggers at the campus
center might include 20 Zebras, one large dove, four
sparrows, two cardinals and one or two bulbuls.
	I used to work on the microbiology of a terrible
fatal yeast disease of humans carried in the droppings
of many birds.  I try not to think about the health
implications.  Several concerted attempts to discourage
the birds and human bird feeders have been tried with no
success.  Too many humans succumb to the temptation to feed
one of these cute beggers. The bold sparrows and the attractive
red-headed cardinals are particularly hard to resist.
	There is a very obvious "urbanization" amongst
these species.
  Mike Burger, Chemistry, 2545 The Mall  |  University of  Hawaii  |
  BITNET:   MIKEB@UHCCUX.bitnet          | Honolulu, Hawaii, 96822 |
  INTERNET: mike@helium.chem.hawaii.edu     Phone: (808) 948-7503

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (08/09/89)

I was fascinated by Mike Burger's posting about birds
begging in Hawaii.  I had a hard time finding some of these
species when I visited there in 1978, and now they're
apparently staked out at his cafeteria!

For a totally different bird-begging experience, try Sam's
restaurant in Tiburon, California.  They have an outdoor
deck that's great for observing gulls at close range.

Sam's serves bread with a big crock of butter to every
customer, and many people order the excellent guacamole.
The gulls get pretty brazen; some gulls will walk off the
railing and right onto your table and start snarfing down
your butter or guacamole, if you don't shoo them away.  The
gulls are pretty wary---I don't think you could lay a finger
on them if you tried---but apparently enough people are (you
should pardon the expression) mellow about it that the gulls
get a rich diet.

One can observe a pecking order among species, and even
among individuals in the same species.  One Western Gull
(whom we named ``Bobby Blue Band'' after the color band on
his leg) was king of the hill, and bullied all the other
Westerns; he ignored butter and would eat only guacamole.
Some Ring-billed Gulls would sit near the tables but seldom
went on tables unless they were unoccupied.  Heermann's
Gulls kept a respectable distance but would pursue bread
crusts thrown on the water.  And like the Zebra Doves that
Mike mentioned, Rock Doves would weave through the patrons'
legs as they gleaned crumbs from the deck.

By the way, the food is excellent (although I haven't been
there in years, friends tell me it's still good); probably
the best cioppino I've ever eaten outside of home cooking.
It's a very Marin County kind of place.  The bar in front is
popular with singles, and yacht owners often tie up right at
the deck for dinner.  A friend of mine once brought his
bazooka-like telephoto camera rig to Sam's to get some
closeups of gull heads, and we were most amused when a
slinky blonde detached herself from her dinner companion to
come over and chat about his camera.  ``Ooh,'' she said in
parting, ``it's so phallic!''
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
USENET: ucbvax!unmvax!nmtsun!john  CSNET: john@nmtsun.nmt.edu ``A lesson from

przybyls@hpavla.HP.COM (Tom Przybylski) (08/09/89)

     Bird begging is not just an "urban" phenomina, unless you consider
anywhere a lot of humans go to be urban.  I have seen the same thing at
the Long's Peak campground at Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado.
The animals (birds, chipmunks, squirrels) beg to some extent all year
long.  During the summer, they get fed a lot, from people directly and
from grubbing in the garbage.  The real problem comes just after all the
crowds leave at the end of summer.

     I had a very strange evening meal one year just after Labor Day.
There were very few people in the campground and it was fairly cold
(low 40's).  I had to eat dinner hunched over my plate with a pile of
small stones at hand to throw at the critters so I could save a little
food for myself.  There were chimpmunks and squirrels under the table,
on the bench and crawling up my legs.  There were birds under the table,
on the table, and in all the trees around me.  They were Stellar Jays,
sparrows, and some other small birds I didn't recognize.  The behavior
of the birds was like you describe - both begging and stealing.

     It was both humerous and sad. It seemed obvious to me that the
animals were going to be in trouble with no people around to support
either an excessive population or their lack of natural foraging.  I
suspect there would be a die-off in a few weeks.  Still, it was about the
most interesting meal that I ever had out of doors.  I managed to eat
about half of my supper, I lost the rest.

- Tom Przybylski

pc@mitre.org (Melissa P. Chase) (08/10/89)

John Shipman's account of brazen gulls reminds me of an experience I
had last summer.  My friend Kathy and I went birdwatching at Plum
Island.  After spending the morning driving up and down the island
looking at shorebirds, we stopped at one of the beaches.  We had a
snack of Stella D'Oro breadsticks, some cheese, and some grapefruit
juice (in those coated cardboard cartons).  While we were eating, a
Herring Gull was standing nearby watching very intently.  We decided
to go for a swim, and packed up the remaining food in a knapsack
(which we partially zippered).  While we were swimming, Kathy points
to some Stella D'Oro cellophane wrapping floating in the water and
says, "That looks our lunch!"  I said, "No, it couldn't be.  We packed
it in the knapsack."  When we got out of the water and walked back to
our stuff, we saw remnents of our lunch scattered on the beach!  There
wasn't a single breadstick left.  Cartons of juice, punctured and
empty, were lying on the ground.  A couple of gulls were standing
nearby, looking rather smug.  Obviously while we were swimming, the
gull who had been watching us gathered some of his cronies, they
managed to get the food out of the knapsack (they probably unzipped it
a bit more), and helped themselves to our lunch.  I must admit, I was
pretty impressed.

	Penny

--
UUCP:  { ... }!linus!pc
INTERNET:  pc@mitre.org

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (08/10/89)

Tom Przybylski (przybyls@hpavla.HP.COM) writes:
+---
| ... at Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado...animals
| (birds, chipmunks, squirrels) beg to some extent all year
| long.... The real problem comes just after all the
| crowds leave at the end of summer.
+---

I think encouraging begging is not altogether bad, since it
gives so many people a chance to get close looks at real
wild animals, and appreciate their beautiful coats and
feathers, their sharp eyes and good reflexes.

On the other hand, this situation is also an excellent
illustration of one of the Big Painful Truths about zoology:
the concept of carrying capacity.  This area can only
support so many animals; winter forage is the limiting
factor for many populations.  The lives of animals that
depend on the tourist season are apt to be nasty, brutish
and short.

An excellent article in CoEvolution Quarterly a few issues
back made the analogy with famines in human populations.  If
you just send food to starving people, you are not
increasing the carrying capacity of the land where they
live, and the long-term situation is not improved.

Sending tools, or information about maintainable crop
yields, or trees to reverse desertification, actually
increases the carrying capacity of the land, and is
much kinder in the long run.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
USENET: ucbvax!unmvax!nmtsun!john  CSNET: john@nmtsun.nmt.edu ``A lesson from
past over-machined societies...the devices themselves condition the users to
employ each other the way they employ machines.'' --Frank Herbert

king@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (joyce.l.king) (08/10/89)

I have just finished writing a layman's version of a study Audubon
research biologists carried out in Florida Bay.  They marked with large wing
tags the great white herons that begged at docks and canalside homes (the
"subsidized" birds).  Then they did a 3-year study on those nests and the
nests of birds that fed entirely on what they found in the Bay.  The
conclusions were pretty startling...subsidized birds were much more
successful nesters.  In fact, the other birds were not able to produce
enough offspring to uphold the population.  So, with a species that numbers
only about 2500 individuals, we conclude that feeding is the only way to
save the species.

But they also feel that we are producing a subsidized population by skewing the
gene pool.  Well, we've talked about that before.  Damned if we do and damned if
we don't.

We had to take a stand, so I wrote articles for the local newspapers telling
what and how to feed.  So we end up with pet herons.  I guess it's better than
no herons at all.

The fault, you see, lies in habitat.  Florida Bay suffers from mismanagement
of the Everglades.  If there's enough food in the Bay the heron won't beg.  I
bet habitat loss is part of the problem in the original posting, even though
they are talking about finches and cardinals.  The successful birds are those
that can adjust to the new world of pollution and loss of habitat.  The others
are simply not going to make it.

Gosh, that's a depressing way to start the day.

Joyce Andrews King (Florida Keys, by way of modern communications)

bsp@hpfinote.HP.COM (Bruce Spence) (08/10/89)

   A fairly large grey Rocky Mountain bird locally called a Camp Robber is
adept at this behaviour, as its name suggests.  This is not a new phenonenon,
as my father tells similar stories from the Colorado high country of sixty
or more years ago.
				Bruce Spence
				Hewlett-Packard
				Colorado Integrated Circuits Division
				bsp@hpfibsp.hp.com

geek@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Chris Schmandt) (08/17/89)

In article <5280001@hpavla.HP.COM> przybyls@hpavla.HP.COM (Tom Przybylski) writes:

>     Bird begging is not just an "urban" phenomina, unless you consider
>anywhere a lot of humans go to be urban.  I have seen the same thing at
>the Long's Peak campground at Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado.
>The animals (birds, chipmunks, squirrels) beg to some extent all year
>long.  During the summer, they get fed a lot, from people directly and
>from grubbing in the garbage.  The real problem comes just after all the
>crowds leave at the end of summer.

On the road up over the crest of the park (Rocky Mtn.) there is
a turnout where Clark's Nutcrackers beg peanuts (and whatever)
from travelling tourists.  Of course, the Nutcrackers are pretty
birds with their flashing white, and very bold and noisy as well,
so it makes a great show.  Personally I disapprove of feeding
wildlife, although I do feed birds in the winter.  I guess my
attitude is that anything that lives in our cities is barely
"wild"-life anymore...

Last week while hiking in the high country at Zion a deer was
so used to handouts that it came close enough to lick our hands.
Of course this thrilled my 3 year old daughter!  This was not
on a road, but rather 4.5 miles in on a trail at a spring.
I was told that this deer had been mooching at that location for
quite a number of years.

chris

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (08/18/89)

In article <502@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, geek@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Chris Schmandt) writes:

 > On the road up over the crest of the park (Rocky Mtn.) there is
 > a turnout where Clark's Nutcrackers beg peanuts (and whatever)
 > from travelling tourists.  Of course, the Nutcrackers are pretty
 > birds with their flashing white, and very bold and noisy as well,
 > so it makes a great show.  Personally I disapprove of feeding
 > wildlife, although I do feed birds in the winter.  I guess my
 > attitude is that anything that lives in our cities is barely
 > "wild"-life anymore...

	I've been up there, and I believe that there is a sign that
tells tourists not to feed the birds or animals. However, almost everyone
does it (I have). I think that the concern is that the birds will become
dependent upon the handouts and will have trouble feeding themselves
once the tourist season ends. I seem to recall reading about a study that
was done with these very birds; to determine if this was, indeed, a
problem. If my memory serves me, I believe that the conclusion was that
there was no evidence the birds had any problems finding food on their own.

	On a totally unrelated vein: Since shorebird migration is well
underway, I decided to call the RBA for the first time this season.
It just so happened that a Mongolian Plover was seen the day before in
the Moss Landing Wildlife Area. I was able to add this to my life list
the next day. Although the view was not that great (from about 250 ft.),
it was acceptable through a 60x Questar. A Red-Billed Tropicbird was also
seen near Pigeon Point, but I didn't even try for this one.

Bring on the vagrants,

Mike