[rec.birds] Saw-whet Owls

rising@utzoo.uucp (Jim Rising) (08/29/89)

My sources say that Saw-whet owls lay 4-7 (usually 5-6) eggs, so
a brood of 8 would seem exceptional.

I confess that when I read your note on these birds from Ponca
City, Ok., I thought that they couldn't possibly have been
Saw-whets in Ok.--but I'm wrong.  I did find a record from near
Tulsa.  Unfortunately I don't have a Birds of Oklahoma handy.
Could anyone fill me in on the species' status in OK?  I suspect
that they're rare as hen's teeth.  Knowing the Great Plains and
the owl's habitat in the Rocky Mts. and Ontario, it seems exceptional
to me that the species would occur in north-central Oklahoma.  Were
there lots of red cedars near your house?  I know that there are north
of there in Kansas.

Warblers are moving through here now.

--Jim Rising
--
Name:     Jim Rising
Mail:     Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada    M5S 1A1

mikeb@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Mike Burger) (08/31/89)

where the family of Saw-whet owls nested and raised a family:
	In Ponca City we had mostly Elms, Oaks and Maples. Very
few evergreens.  Ponca City is right on the Arkansas River as
is Tulsa.  It is possible that the river bank habitat with
its fairly heavy woods created a winding extension of
suitable range for this bird through the flat grasslands
and wheat fields.  Ponca City has a lot of trees and is
somewhat "attached" to the river bank habitat.  The owls
were in a neighborhood with lots of trees and very close
to a small drainage ditch that ran eventually into the Arkansas
River a few miles away.
  Mike Burger, Chemistry, 2545 The Mall  |  University of  Hawaii  |
  BITNET:   MIKEB@UHCCUX.bitnet          | Honolulu, Hawaii, 96822 |
  INTERNET: mike@helium.chem.hawaii.edu     Phone: (808) 948-7503

sandee@loligo (Daan Sandee) (09/13/89)

In article <1989Aug29.163529.6630@utzoo.uucp> rising@utzoo.uucp (Jim Rising) writes:
>I confess that when I read your note on these birds from Ponca
>City, Ok., I thought that they couldn't possibly have been
>Saw-whets in Ok.--but I'm wrong.  I did find a record from near
>Tulsa.  Unfortunately I don't have a Birds of Oklahoma handy.
>Could anyone fill me in on the species' status in OK?

I checked DeSante and Pyle, who I regard as the standard reference on
bird distribution, and they list the Saw-whet in OK as 'xV,xW'.
These five characters translate to :
- It has been seen at least once and not more than 10 times in the last
  50 years in 'winter' which D&P define as between Jan 1 and some unknown
  end that depends on species and locality
- Separate from that, it has been seen one to ten times at a time not in
  winter and not compatible with breeding either.
Reading between the lines, it means it was seen several times between Dec
and March.
I also checked on the other states' listings in D&P and it appears there is
some north-south movement. In winter, it withdraws generally from Canada,
and appears in states south of its breeding range - Kansas, for instance,
comes in as 'rV,rW' which translates to more than 10 times BOTH in winter
AND as a 'vagrant' - meaning at least 22 times in all.
I checked the annotated checklists I have for Washington, Oregon, N. Calif.,
Yellowstone, and Minnesota, and they agree with D&P (not surprisingly,
because they are the primary source of D&P anyway). However, both McCaskie
for N.Calif. and Janssen for Minnesota (and if you didn't know, these guys
are Big Names at this game) say that the bird's movements in winter are
poorly known.
This all comes down to that breeding records for the N.Saw-whet Owl in OK
are nonexistent - D&P do a careful job. So the original observer should
report it.  I can supply the name of the American Birds regional editor
- I don't have it handy.
Note that I can't claim to be an expert on either Saw-whets or OK birds.
This is just officiousness from some guy from Florida. My only Saw-whet
was in April of 1983 on the Cal coast near Santa Barbara - that's a story
in itself, that's too long to post on the net.

Daan Sandee
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University, Tallahassee                 sandee@sun6.scri.fsu.edu