[rec.birds] What is this bird??

mostardi@ux1.lbl.gov (David Mostardi) (09/14/89)

Scene of the sighting: residential Berkeley, CA

The field marks: a snow white sparrow, except for the lightest
touch of yellow on the sides.  Black eyes, flesh colored feet
and bill.  Notched tail.

My guess is that this is probably an escaped exotic, since
I can't find *any* snow-white passerine in my No. Amer. field
guides.  It's not an albino, since it has a black eye.

Guesses, anyone?

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (09/19/89)

In article <3791@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, mostardi@ux1.lbl.gov (David Mostardi) writes:

 > My guess is that this is probably an escaped exotic, since
 > I can't find *any* snow-white passerine in my No. Amer. field
 > guides.  It's not an albino, since it has a black eye.

	I wouldn't so quickly rule out an albino. Albinism occurs in varying
degrees from patches of white feathers scattered around the body to a totally
white bird with the corresponding lack of pigment in the eyes and skin.
Actually, the total albino is the rarest form of albinism; and the chances
that you would see an incomplete or partial albino are much greater. This
bird may very well be an incomplete albino; that is, a bird with totally
white plumage but still retaining pigment in the eyes.

Mike

P.S. I haven't a clue as to what it might be.

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (09/20/89)

Michael Mammoser (mjm@oliven.olivetti.com) writes:
+---
| I wouldn't so quickly rule out an albino. Albinism occurs
| in varying degrees from patches of white feathers scattered
| around the body to a totally white bird with the corresponding
| lack of pigment in the eyes and skin.
+---

Indeed, I've seen several albinos in my 15 years of serious
birdwatching.  For example, a Sooty Shearwater I saw on a
Monterey Bay pelagic trip had big white blotches all over
its body, as if someone had dabbed it with a white shoe
polish applicator.  A Northern Mockingbird I saw in New
Mexico had an all-white tail but was otherwise normal.  And
a gull I saw at the flood basin in Palo Alto was all-white;
the consensus of the authorities that saw my picture was
that it was an albino California Gull.

Be careful, though!  The redoubtable G. Victor Morejohn was
collecting shearwater specimens on Monterey Bay a few years
back and got one that had an all-white head.  He figured it
was an albino something-or-other and duly sent it off to
Roxie Laybourne at the Smithsonian (the same woman who gets
all the criminal cases involving feather identification) and
in a few months he got back word that he had the first
documented North American record of Streaked Shearwater.

(-:  It helps to have a complete collection of  :-)
(-:  all the field guides in the entire world.  :-)

While we're on the subject of nasty field identification
problems, how about hybrids?  The Christmas Bird Counts
from the northern Pacific coast in the last few years
often list more Glaucous-winged x Western Gulls than
either of the unhybridized species.  How are they
calling this form?

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (09/21/89)

In article <3192@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:

 > While we're on the subject of nasty field identification
 > problems, how about hybrids?  The Christmas Bird Counts
 > from the northern Pacific coast in the last few years
 > often list more Glaucous-winged x Western Gulls than
 > either of the unhybridized species.  How are they
 > calling this form?

	I assume that you mean "how are they identifying this form".
I, personally, haven't had the guts to claim that I've seen one, but
it seems that the ID is based on the gray mantle/wing and the dark
primary tips being intermediate in color between the two. The two birds
should be quite similar in other field marks (i.e. size, bill shape,
leg color, etc.). You then have a bird with a mantle/wing color a
darker shade of gray than a Glaucous-Winged but lighter than a Western,
and the primary tips a dark brown or dark gray but not quite the black
of a Western. As far as identifying a juvenile; I don't know. I would
guess that the increase in the reported numbers is probably due to an
increased ability of observers to identify this hybrid.

	Speaking of hybrids, I've seen a couple of interesting ones
in recent years. A few years ago I was at the Palo Alto Baylands around
the beginning of the year and saw what I'm sure was a Northern Shoveler
x Blue-Winged Teal hybrid. The bird had a bright, distinct white crescent
in front of the eye (typical of BWT). This was not the fuzzy, indistinct
crescent seen in juvenile and eclipse male Northern Shovelers. It had a
dark brown crown separated from the rest of the head by a sharp line of
contrast (typical of BWT). The rest of the head and neck was an iridescent
green (typical of NS). It had a pale yellow eye (typical of NS). The breast
was densely marked with small spots on a light brown or tan ground color
(typical of BWT). The spotting continued down the sides, with a small
patch of chevron-like marks on the upper-rear flank (typical of BWT), but
the ground color had changed to a dark orange (typical of NS). The bill
was long and spatulate, and the bird was feeding at the edge of the
water by sieving water through its bill (typical of NS). This was easily
the most unusual duck I have seen.

	Another hybrid that has been around the Baylands and Charleston
Slough for a couple of years, and seen by a number of people, is a
Snowy Egret x Little Blue Heron. The bird looks a lot like a Snowy Egret
except that the upperparts are marked with gray blotches and the legs
are a more uniformly colored gray or green. When first seen a few years
ago, the bird was identified as a juvenile Little Blue Heron. This is
understandable, considering that Little Blues are seen sporadically and
have recently been confirmed as breeders in the South Bay. The ID was
further compounded by the fact that the bird had yellow lores and the
first edition of the National Geographic Society Field Guide to the
Birds of North America shows juvenile Little Blues to have yellow lores.
Someone, who evidently had experience with Little Blues, indicated
that they have grayish lores in all plumages (this is shown correctly
in the second edition of the NGS field guide). This field mark has
been used to justify the hybrid status of the bird (along with the fact
that the bird's plumage hasn't changed from its blotchy gray on white
in a number of years).

	Any other interesting hybrids out there?

Mike

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (09/22/89)

Michael Mammoser (mjm@oliven.olivetti.com) writes:
>...Any other interesting hybrids out there?

Thanks for the descriptions of Glaucous-winged x Western
gulls, Blue-winged Teal x Northern Shoveler and Snowy Egret
x Little Blue Heron.  Plumages like this can make strong men
weep.

In the late 70's I photographed a duck at the Palo Alto Duck
Pond that was probably an American x Eurasian Wigeon,
according to local expert Ted Chandik.  The head was like
EW, rufous with a yellow crown stripe, while the body was
like AW, with rusty flanks.

Another screwball duck I photographed was at Bosque del
Apache NWR in central New Mexico in late March 1988.  This
bird was clearly a male Blue-winged x Cinnamon Teal.  The
body ground color was a rusty color, much darker than BWT
and only a shade lighter than a CT, but covered with small
round dark spots all over like BWT.  The bird had the BWT's
strong white crescent between the bill and eye, and the head
above the eye had a strong bluish tinge, but the rest of the
head was cinnamon-colored.

This business of Glaucous-winged x Western gulls really
bothers me.  I have a database of all the Christmas Bird
Counts from 61-62 through 87-88, and when I look at the
occurrence of this form, it looks like it's spreading
rapidly on the west coast.  In the 69th CBC there are no
records of this hybrid.  In the 79th, there are records in
two counts in Washington (Grays Harbor and Olympia), one in
Oregon (Eugene), and none in California.  The 87th, however,
has records all over northern California (including the Bay
Area and Monterey area) and even two in Los Angeles.

But I'm afraid it's not the BIRD that spreading, just
information on how to identify it!  This is one of the
big problems in interpreting field data, and in my line
of work it bites me all the time.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
USENET: ucbvax!unmvax!nmtsun!john  CSNET: john@nmtsun.nmt.edu ``A lesson from

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (09/23/89)

In article <3215@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:

 > In the late 70's I photographed a duck at the Palo Alto Duck
 > Pond that was probably an American x Eurasian Wigeon,
 > according to local expert Ted Chandik.  The head was like
 > EW, rufous with a yellow crown stripe, while the body was
 > like AW, with rusty flanks.

	I saw a duck at Arrowhead Marsh which I thought was a hybrid
between American and Eurasian Wigeon. It had the green eye patch like
an American Wigeon with a grayish crown, but the head below the eye
patch was reddish brown and it had a yellow forehead stripe.

	I remember seeing three Eurasian Wigeons on Adobe Creek, next
to Charleston Slough, that ranged nicely from extreme juvenal plumage
to near-adult. The youngest one had a very indistinct forehead stripe
with a darker brown head color. The sides were uniformly colored a
reddish brown. At this point the back was still brown. The near-adult
bird was colored exactly like an adult except for a few spots of rust
on the upper flanks. The bird that was in-between was also like an
adult except for more rust color on the sides and the back was still
blotchy with some brown feathers. These three birds, all seen on the
same day, at the same place, within about an hour's time, were an
excellent demonstration of the juvenile molt sequence.

Mike

dmark@joey.cs.buffalo.edu (David Mark) (09/23/89)

In article <3192@nmtsun.nmt.edu> john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:

>While we're on the subject of nasty field identification
>problems, how about hybrids?  The Christmas Bird Counts
>from the northern Pacific coast in the last few years
>often list more Glaucous-winged x Western Gulls than
>either of the unhybridized species.  How are they
>calling this form?

A phenotypically pure glaucescens has no black whatsoever in the wings.
Essentially all of the big gulls breeding on the British Columbia coast
on the "inside" of Vancouver Island, and north of Vancouver Island, are like
this.  But, on the "outside" of V.I., a small proportion have black or
very dark areas on the upper side of the primaries.  I went out to Cleland
Island off Tofino with Mike Sheppard, then of the Provincial Museum, to band
gulls.  There were 3 phenotypically-pure "occidentalis" types among the
several thousand "glaucescens", two "occidentalis" paired to eachother and not
breedings, the other paired to a glaucescens.  I recall that I estimated about
1-2 % of the gulls there appeared to be hybrids.  Around Westport, Washington,
in summer, it is very hard to find "pure" occidentalis *OR* glaucescens, with
most birds being intermediate.  Frankly, I don't understand why they have not
been lumped.  It is obvious that the GULLS don't care about the difference.
Hoffman, Wiens, and Scott (Auk 95:441-456, 1978) studied the hybridization
along the Washington Coast, and found that hybrid pairs had higher breeding
success than pure tryue-to-type pairs.

In color, adult "gloccidentalis" birds resemble thayeri.  Primaries are
dark above but not below, dark iris.  But the 'jizz' is quite different,
with thayeri adults being rather 'delicate', looking almost like large
Mew gulls, or at least like Californias, whereas 'gloccidentalis' are big
bulky birds with large long bills, flatter heads, etc.

Another hybrid that occurs around Vancouver BC in winter is HerringXGlaucous-w.
These also have a similar phenotype to the above hybrid and to thayeri.  They
come from Cook Inlet area, when interior Herring types spead from dump to
dump out to the coast.  Once, I saw an adult, color-banded gull near
Vancouver, which had this dark-above, light-below pattern on the primaries.
I sent in the color pattern to the banding office and it turned out to have
been banded as a chick in the Cook Inlet area.

Obviously, observers in southern California or the southwest, who perhaps
are unfamiliar with thayeri, should be cautious in identifying adult gulls
with the primary pattern mentioned above as Thayer's Gulls.

David Mark
dmark@cs.buffalo.edu

In article <48269@oliveb.olivetti.com> mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:

>	Speaking of hybrids, I've seen a couple of interesting ones
>in recent years. A few years ago I was at the Palo Alto Baylands around
>the beginning of the year and saw what I'm sure was a Northern Shoveler
>x Blue-Winged Teal hybrid. The bird had a bright, distinct white crescent
>in front of the eye (typical of BWT).

            [remainder of excellent description deleted]

am looking at a picture of the New Zealand race of the Australalian
Shoveler, Anas rhynchotis variegata, and except perhaps for the crown, your
description seems to fit it perfectly.  An escaped New Zealand Shoveller
in the Bay area would be very unlikely, but so would be a hybrid.  But then
again, hybrids are much more common in captivity, so maybe it was an
escaped hybrid...

David Mark
dmark@cs.buffalo.edu

dmark@joey.cs.buffalo.edu (David Mark) (09/23/89)

In article <3215@nmtsun.nmt.edu> john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:

>This business of Glaucous-winged x Western gulls really
>bothers me.  I have a database of all the Christmas Bird
>Counts from 61-62 through 87-88, and when I look at the
>occurrence of this form, it looks like it's spreading
>rapidly on the west coast.  In the 69th CBC there are no
>records of this hybrid.  In the 79th, there are records in
>two counts in Washington (Grays Harbor and Olympia), one in
>Oregon (Eugene), and none in California.  The 87th, however,
>has records all over northern California (including the Bay
>Area and Monterey area) and even two in Los Angeles.
>
>But I'm afraid it's not the BIRD that spreading, just
>information on how to identify it!  This is one of the
>big problems in interpreting field data, and in my line
>of work it bites me all the time.

John, this diffusion of information about a 'new' form, rather than diffusion
of the form itself, was exactly the point in my 1981 article:

"Thayer's Gulls from western Christmas bird counts: a cautionary note."
which appeared in American Birds, 35, 898-900.

Thayer's Gull was split from Herring in 1973.  The percentage of Thayer's
Gull among Thayer's + Herring in the west coast states and province was

            total         B.C.
1973         5.2%        27.2%
1974         9.5%        21.9%
1975        15.3%        57.5%
1976        20.8%        70.3%
1977        20.3%        82.0%
1978        11.9%        34.6%

If the 1976-77 data represent some sort of equilibrium, then it took 3-4
years for knowledge of a "new species" to spread through the birding
community.  And I bet there are positive feedbacks, with ambiguous cases
going by default into the more common form, rather than being left as
"gull sp.".  Obviously, most amateur birders (including myself), are
species-centric, and news of a hybrid form would spread much more slowly and
irregularly, I imagine.

David Mark
dmark@cs.buffalo.edu

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (09/28/89)

In article <10774@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, dmark@joey.cs.buffalo.edu (David Mark) writes:

 > am looking at a picture of the New Zealand race of the Australalian
 > Shoveler, Anas rhynchotis variegata, and except perhaps for the crown, your
 > description seems to fit it perfectly.  An escaped New Zealand Shoveller
 > in the Bay area would be very unlikely, but so would be a hybrid.  But then
 > again, hybrids are much more common in captivity, so maybe it was an
 > escaped hybrid...

	You are correct about the similarity between New Zealand Shoveler
and a Northern Shoveler x Blue-Winged Teal. An excerpt from Waterfowl: an
ID Guide reads: "Occasional wild hybrids between Northern Shoveler and
Blue-Winged or Cinnamon Teals bear a remarkable resemblance to Australasian
Shovelers, but are smaller and of course likely to be met with only in
North America."

	However, there were some basic differences that led me to believe
that this bird was a hybrid. The head color of the New Zealand Shoveler is
a slate-gray, whereas my bird had the green head of a typical Northern
Shoveler. The marks along the breast and sides of New Zealand Shoveler are
small chevron-like marks, whereas my bird had small roundish spots like
a Blue-Winged Teal. The ground color of the sides and breast of the New
Zealand Shoveler is an orange/brown that continues from the sides onto the
lower breast and fades to whitish on the upper breast, whereas my bird had
a breast that was uniformly colored light brown/tan that suddenly changed
to orange/brown on the sides at the point where it normally changes to
this color on a typical Northern Shoveler.

	It is certainly helpful to have an ID guide to world birds of a
particular family when trying to identify an unusual looking species.
Based on the field mark differences stated above, I still believe that
the bird I saw was a hybrid, although I can't say whether it was wild or
an escaped captive.

Mike