[rec.birds] Doves, does anyone on the net own them???

reynolds@felix.UUCP (David Lee Reynolds) (09/27/89)

(This has also been posted to rec.pets)

Well, this is my first time reading the rec.birds, and I was wondering if
anyone out there has pet doves...

Our story:

  My wife and I have two white doves that were used in our wedding in April.
  Things were going well, until we noticed that after 4 clutches of eggs
that none of them were fertile!  Well it turns out that they were both female!
  The problem is, now we bought two "Ring-neck" Males and the two white doves
already think they are a "Pair", and are totally rejecting them...  Josie
and I have now separated the white doves, and clipped the right wing of
the most aggressive female...  This, at least, has stopped the pecking problem
that the males were receiving, but still no sign of sexual interest in the
males by the part of the female.  Maybe only time will tell!!

Our Questions:

  Does anyone have a better way of getting our doves to co-habitate?  (Short of
putting a divider/partition down the middle of my aviary, and sticking one
of each sex in each side.)?????

  Does anyone know of a club/info group for dove owners and the like???

	+------------------------+------------------------------------+
	| David Reynolds         |      This Space For Rent           |
	| BIFFNet Corp.          |   				      |
	| !hplabs!felix!reynolds |                                    |
	|                        |                                    |
	+------------------------+------------------------------------+
	| Disclaimer: It's not BIFFNets' Fault, I only work for them! |

bob@delphi.uchicago.edu (Bob Lewis) (09/28/89)

Lesbianism might sound bad to you, but sodomy is even worse.
Are you sure the ``Ring-Necked males'' are the same species
as the white females?

I don't know anything about captive doves.

reynolds@felix.UUCP (David Lee Reynolds) (09/29/89)

In article <5559@tank.uchicago.edu> bob@delphi.UUCP writes:
>Lesbianism might sound bad to you, but sodomy is even worse.
 ^^^^^^^^^^                             ^^^^^^
	    I had to check to make sure I was not in "rec.humor" ;->

>Are you sure the ``Ring-Necked males'' are the same species
>as the white females?

This of course is where my inept-ness in bird-tology comes in :-/ .
I thought doves were doves.  (With of course some "Breeds" being harder to
"Cross-Breed" than others).  The store owners, (where both pairs were
purchased), seemed to feel that these two breeds will mate.   The resulting
mixture is called, "Pikes"???

>I don't know anything about captive doves.

It seems to me that the very first person to write a DETAILED book on doves and
pigeons will make millions!!  The only 2 books I have found so far are written
by the same author who explains breeding technics as, "Fun and enjoyable",
end of explanation.  No sexing description, no hints on environment, NOTHING!!!

That is why I turned to your group, though the day after, I did notice that
there was some postings discouraging the use of this group for "pet birds".
My feeling was, "If anyone would know about the natural habitat/environment of
doves, it would be a bird watching group..."  Sorry for the waisted band width
on this subject!  (Gotta start reading those group ethics articles!!)

Thanks for the interest!  :-)

	+------------------------+------------------------------------+
	| David Reynolds         |                                    |
	| BIFFNet Corp.          |  This space for rent.............  |
	| !hplabs!felix!reynolds |                                    |
	|                        |                                    |
	+------------------------+------------------------------------+

mary@dinorah.wustl.edu (Mary E. Leibach) (10/03/89)

reynolds@felix.UUCP (David Lee Reynolds) writes:

>In article <5559@tank.uchicago.edu> bob@delphi.UUCP writes:
>>Lesbianism might sound bad to you, but sodomy is even worse.
 ^^^^^^^^^^                             ^^^^^^
>	    I had to check to make sure I was not in "rec.humor" ;->

You are not in "rec.humor", you are in "rec.bird.humor"! ;-)

Cally was wondering what selling church offices had to do with female
avian homosexuality, or even birds in general.

Actually, birds in religion, specifically, avian symbology in theology
and mythology could be an interesting subject.  From the ravens of
Odhinn, the swancoats of the Valkyrja, the eagle of the Native
Americans, to the dove of the Holy Spirit, birds show up alot as
religious motifs.

Oh, well, back to the sexual habbits of the lovey dovies.

	-Mary,
		and Cally the Precocious Cockatiel(tm),
		and Vila the Cudly Conure(tm),
		and Blake the Beautiful Budgie(tm),

	and introducing Del and Dayna, the Fertile (we hope) Finches(tm)!

	 Better known as      Blake's Birds(tm)!

	 Dedicated to the memory of the British SF show Blake's 7, and
	 the liberty and rights of pet birds!

Zebra Finch update:  We have mating and nest building.  These two
don't fool around!  (Or maybe they fool around too much... :-)

HF.GXS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Gail Smithson) (10/04/89)

This is in response to the  question about doves.  I once owned
ring-neck doves and a white dove.  I started with two ring-neck
doves.  I put them together and they faught.  I then   learned to
sex them and found I had two males.  If nobody has told you how to
sex them yet, you hold them   with two  hands around the wings and
body and bob them up and down.  If the tail goes up its a female and
it the tail goes down its a male.  I then purchased a white female
and paired her with one of the males and they proceeded to raise 3
clutches.  One of their offspring was quite tame because I handled
him a lot.  Good luck!

P.S.  I think the net came to a consensus that we do not mind
sharing the network with pet bird people.  At least I don}t.  I am a
birder and I am also own pet birds.  I find all aspects of brids
fascinating.

Gail Smithson