[rec.birds] Most Common NA bird

rising@utzoo.uucp (Jim Rising) (10/10/89)

I'd vote for the starling.  As I understand it, it was difficult
to introduce the House Sparrow into N.A.  TOok several trys.  But
the starling took off after the first introduction.
--
Name:     Jim Rising
Mail:     Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada    M5S 1A1

jklee@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Kin Wah Lee) (10/11/89)

How about rock dove?
Jim Lee (jklee@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Dept. of Geol. & Geophys. Sci.           *    ONLY IN CANADA, YOU SAY?   *
Princeton University                     *           PITY .....          *
Princeton, NJ      08544                 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

mostardi@ux1.lbl.gov (David Mostardi) (10/12/89)

In article <1989Oct10.134119.608@utzoo.uucp> rising@utzoo.uucp (Jim Rising) writes:
>I'd vote for the starling.  As I understand it, it was difficult
>to introduce the House Sparrow into N.A.  TOok several trys.  But
>the starling took off after the first introduction.

When I was a zoology student at UC Berkeley, the ornithologists
there said that the red-winged blackbird was the most common
North American bird.

PS. What about the rock dove?

David Mostardi			"Guess what, Dad!  Those chocolate
MSRI, Berkeley CA		   diskettes fit right into your
david@msri.org			   computer, no problem!"

dmark@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (10/12/89)

In article <1989Oct10.134119.608@utzoo.uucp> rising@utzoo.uucp (Jim Rising) writes:
>I'd vote for the starling.  As I understand it, it was difficult
>to introduce the House Sparrow into N.A.  TOok several trys.  But
>the starling took off after the first introduction.

  Actually, there were several Sturnus vulgaris introductions in North
  America, including Boston and Portland (Ore), long before the NY City
  introduction in 1890.  The Oregon birds established a population that
  lasted for a couple of decades before dying out.  Fisher and Peterson's
  "The World of Birds" states that the European Starling and House Sparrow
  are probably the world's most common wild birds.  But, they claim that
  there are more domestic chickens (see below).

In article <3941@helios.ee.lbl.gov> david@msri.org (David Mostardi) writes:
>When I was a zoology student at UC Berkeley, the ornithologists
>there said that the red-winged blackbird was the most common
>North American bird.
>
>PS. What about the rock dove?

  Other common and numerous NA birds that would be "contenders" are
  American Robin, Barn Swallow, and Savannah Sparrow.

  Largest Christmas Bird Count numbers (per 15 mile diameter circle) are
  icterids and starlings.  The 1984 Evangeline Co, Louisiana, CBC had:

  Red-winged Blackbird:         39,800,000
  Brown-headed Cowbird:         19,600,000
  Common Grackle:                2,095,700
  European Starling:             1,625,125
  All other species:                22,145

  Total:                        63,142,970

  Passenger Pigeons numbered about 5,000,000,000 in a typical autumn
  migration.  A limitless resource, eh?  Hmmm....

  World's most numerous bird species is, according to the Guinness Book of
  World Records, the Red-billed Quelea (Quelea quelea) of Africa:

  10,000,000,000.

  This is way more than the Fisher & Peterson chicken estimate of
  3 billion!

  Wilson's Storm-Petrel is another very very numerous bird.

David Mark                                                 dmark@cs,buffalo.edu

king@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (joyce.l.king) (10/12/89)

When I bought my first farm, in 1965 (I was a 3 years old :^)...), a
tent caterpiller plague hit the community.  Every other farmer in the
area sprayed.  I couldn't afford to spray, having just spent my last
dime.  Huge flocks of starlings from nearby Cincinnati came out every
day and feasted on my fuzzy worms.  The next year all the farms were
hit again, but mine (which had a lot of old apple trees and was a prime
candidate for the little buggers) had many fewer tents.  Every year the
neighbors would spray and spray, and every year they'd get them back,
but I guess the birds were more effective than spray, because mine
cleared out in a couple of years and I never had a problem.  For all I
know, the neighbors still have a problem.

I've been a starling fan ever since.

Joyce Andrews King (from the Florida Keys via modern communications)