[rec.birds] birds that have the fly

nora@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nora.y.mclaughlin) (10/16/89)

Sorry Sandra, request denied.

Question, what does a Macaw or other large bird feel like
when it flies and lands on your head or shoulder?  That would
be reason enough for my to clip.  And I do.
Nora

robert@csustan.CSUStan.Edu (Robert Zeff) (10/17/89)

>Question, what does a Macaw or other large bird feel like
>when it flies and lands on your head or shoulder?  That would
>be reason enough for my to clip.  And I do.
>Nora

I have a full flighted Blue & Gold, who flies to my shoulder very gently.
(I admit her first attempt caused a few welts on my face.)
Unclipped birds must learn the coordination of flight, which takes some
time.  She also has had many outdoor flights, returning to my hand or
shoulder.  Her first outdoor adventure lasted 9.5 hours.  I feel sorry
for clipped birds.
Robert
--
Robert Zeff                         (209) 577-4268 voice, FAX: (209) 577-8548
2549 Yosemite Blvd Ste. E           {lll-lcc,lll-crg}!csustan!zhome!robert

shane@inferno.UUCP (Shane Bouslough) (10/20/89)

From article <1989Oct17.051056.12407@csustan.CSUStan.Edu>, by robert@csustan.CSUStan.Edu (Robert Zeff):
> shoulder.  Her first outdoor adventure lasted 9.5 hours.  I feel sorry
> for clipped birds.

My only experience with pet birds was an old girlfriends cockateel. It was
a perfect snow white specimen with a wonderful character. It had the run
of the house without a doubt. To clip that bird would have been a sin. People
in this group seem to know that house birds take a while to learn to fly.
I thought it was just her bird. I'd say it didn't have the hang of things
for at least 6 to 12 months.

-Shane
--
--------------------------------- CLIP'N'SAVE ----------------------------------
|     Shane A. Bouslough      | uucp: ...{rutgers,sbcs,icus}!alps!inferno!shane|

mep@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (mary.e.pasternak) (10/21/89)

In article <2299@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> nora@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nora.y.mclaughlin) writes:

>Question, what does a Macaw or other large bird feel like
>when it flies and lands on your head or shoulder?  That would
>be reason enough for my to clip.  And I do.

It depends:

1. When I first got my macaw felt like a rather large THUD on my head,
neck, shoulder, arm or whatever she happened to land on.

2. After a while, I got used to (she trained me :-)) her landing on
me whenever she felt like it.  Eventually, the sound of flapping feathers
of a macaw in flight caused me to instinctively raise an arm for her
to land on (as opposed to her landing on my head or somewhere else less
appropriate).  In this situation, the thud was much smaller ...

Mary Pasternak
att!ihlpn!mep