[rec.birds] urban eagle

amber@scott.stat.washington.edu (Amber Tatnall) (11/14/89)

The rains have started in Seattle.  That doesn't stop the birding.
There's still plenty to see, plenty of places to go.  But on a
Monday morning, when it's dark and wet and cold --it's pretty
depressing.  So there I was, dragging myself to work, thinking about
my wet feet and my lunch bag that NEARLY fell apart in the rain, and
wondering if my umbrella was going to turn inside out in that next
gust of wind.  O.K., I was feeling pretty sorry for myself.  I was
thinking, "If only it were sunny, things would be so much better.
Maybe the chicadees and bushtits would be out and about.  Maybe that
would cheer me up."

Other people were walking to work also.  They were trudging down the
path, looking at the ground, huddling under their umbrellas.  But I
never was one for looking at the ground, not if there's a chance to
see something.  And what luck!  As I was walking towards the university
hospital, what should come winging around the corner, over a main street,
really low, but a bird.  A big bird.  A really big bird.  It was a
Bald Eagle, flying right in the middle of the city!  And there I was,
gaping, forgetting about my umbrella and my lunch and my feet, looking
for someone to TELL!  "Look at that! Look! I'll bet some of you have
never even had a chance to see an eagle before!", that's what I wanted to
say.  But they all kept trudging by, heads down, maybe only glancing up
to wonder who what that crazy woman was doing, blocking the path.

Well anyway, my whole outlook on the day was much improved!  It was
wonderful to see that eagle so close up.  He really was flying low.
It was a great view.  Now there are eagles in Seattle in a few places.
This one was not really out of place; I'd seen one in that area once
before.  Maybe I'm easily impressed, but what a way to start the week!

grp@unify.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello) (11/15/89)

In article <2373@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu> amber@scott.biostat.washington.edu writes:

>see something.  And what luck!  As I was walking towards the university
>hospital, what should come winging around the corner, over a main street,
>really low, but a bird.  A big bird.  A really big bird.  It was a
>Bald Eagle, flying right in the middle of the city!  And there I was,
>gaping, forgetting about my umbrella and my lunch and my feet, looking
>for someone to TELL!  "Look at that! Look! I'll bet some of you have
>never even had a chance to see an eagle before!", that's what I wanted to
>say.  But they all kept trudging by, heads down, maybe only glancing up
>to wonder who what that crazy woman was doing, blocking the path.

Nice story.  But that's the worst part of birding isn't it?  Seeing a
really great bird, and there is no one around to tell!  Unfortunately,
when you do tell someone, they usually say something to the effect of
"Isn't that nice", and you leave feeling very unsatisfied.  Oh well, that's
there loss.

I recently brought my dad to see a bald eagle that spent a week down the
road from his house.  He couldn't care less, just came along to humor me!

-Greg
Greg Pasquariello	(916) 920-9092		grp@unify.UUCP
Unify Corporation				...!{csusac, pyramid}!unify!grp

markro@microsoft.UUCP (Mark Roberts) (11/16/89)

In article <2373@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu> amber@scott.biostat.washington.edu writes:
|really low, but a bird.  A big bird.  A really big bird.  It was a
|Bald Eagle, flying right in the middle of the city!

From our 'Truth is Stranger than Fiction' files:  I had the same experience
here in the Seattle area: at our 4th of July backyard picnic!