[rec.birds] Minnesota birds

gls@hare.udev.cdc.com (gl sprandel x4704) (11/16/89)

 Greetings from Minnesota,
   The tundra swans are flying through in good numbers, there was a
   concentration of about 900 on Weaver bottoms (a backwater of the
   Mississippi almost to the Iowa border). there were also a few hundred
   canvasbacks here also. The swans stop here on there way to Chesapeake bay.
  Usually this time of year there
   is also a large (40-60 birds) concentration of Bald Eagles along
   the Mississippi but we have had an unusually warm fall
   (meaning the lakes aren't  frozen yet) so they haven't felt the
    need to leave N.MN yet.  For those of you in Missouri or Iowa, be
   patient it will get cold here soon enough so the eagles will be coming.
  There have been reports of a lot of White-winged crossbills entering
  the state, and many  new county records for the southern part of the state.
 gary sprandel -
 ps. I hope you get this, since I am new to USENET, and UNIX
 pps. Too the person whose Father was bored with birds, stay
   with it, after a few years my dad has become interested also, and
   we have birded together in Fla, Texas, and Churhill.

Gary Sprandel  gls@hare.udev.cdc.com      Telephone <612> 482-4707
Control Data Corporation ARH254, 4201 N. Lexington, Arden Hill MN, 55126 USA

grp@unify.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello) (11/16/89)

In article <14526@shamash.cdc.com> gls@hare.udev.cdc.com (gl sprandel x4704) writes:

> Greetings from Minnesota,

>  There have been reports of a lot of White-winged crossbills entering
>  the state, and many  new county records for the southern part of the state.
> gary sprandel -

I heard that there were gazillions of white wings breeding up north this
year.  Whenever the spruce cone crop fails, it should be good for those
further south.

> ps. I hope you get this, since I am new to USENET, and UNIX

We got it.  This is a really good group. A little slow, but there seems
to be (In my opinion) good birder comeraderie here.

> pps. Too the person whose Father was bored with birds, stay
>   with it, after a few years my dad has become interested also, and
>   we have birded together in Fla, Texas, and Churhill.

I think it's hopeless.  I think I knew that when I was 12 years old, and
threw a fit when he wanted to spray "those damn pigeons" on the roof with
a garden hose.  (he wanted to spray them, the pigeons didn't have a hose!)

>Gary Sprandel  gls@hare.udev.cdc.com      Telephone <612> 482-4707

-Greg
Greg Pasquariello	(916) 920-9092		grp@unify.UUCP
Unify Corporation				...!{csusac, pyramid}!unify!grp