[rec.birds] Cardinals and Idiots was birds and gators

STella@xanadu.com (STella Calvert) (11/15/89)

I'll let y'all ask Susan howcome I followed up the article I did when
you email her advice on this problem.  I would appreciate it if you
_email_ to her (preferably) or me (if email to her bounces and you can
get through to me), since she has a readonly newsfeed and doesn't
always see postings before they expire.  However, I _will_ attempt to
track this group for a while, so if you can't manage to make email
work, it might STILL get to her.  (If I see the post and save it for
her....)

Susan writes:

From uunet!wang!harvee!scm Fri Nov 10 23:15:26 1989

     I don't know how they caught them but my neighbors have three
cardinals(two females and a male) in what used to be their pidgeon
coop.   This  family has been very unfriendly since we moved  into
our house nine years ago,  so we see no point in talking to  them.

[Having listened to her tribulations with these bozos, I tend to think
shotgun therapy is about the only thing that would get their
attention, and that, unfortunately, would have undesirable legal side
effects! -- STella]

The only one who even answered when we said hello was a guy in his
late teens who was reasonably pleasant till we caught him shooting
at  a woodpecker in OUR yard at OUR birdfeeder.   When my  husband
asked  him  not to shoot things in our yard he said he  was  "just
trying to complete his collection," and has been avoiding us  ever
since.

     I don't know what to do.   Is there anyone I can report  them
to (SPCA, wildlife/conservation/hunting authority) who could help?
If  they  raided a nest and raised the birds from  babies,  is  it
kinder  to release them or to keep them safely in the  cages  they
are now used to?   Should I stop feeding my birds if it puts  them
at this kind of risk?  We always had a few cardinals attracted by
the  feeders  but  mostly put out safflower seed  to  attract   my
beloved black-capped chickadees,  and thistle for the goldfinches.
I  haven't started my winter feeders yet but the birds are  coming
around:  chickadees,  cardinals, and a woodpecker so far, but I've
had several other species and don't know what else is likely to be
"collected".

     I live in the last house on a dead end street, surrounded by
woods, in suburban eastern Massachusetts.  Any suggestions?

[I have already suggested that she move to California, but she KNOWS
that's because I miss them, rather than because such problems couldn't
happen here! -- STella]

-----

So, reply to her (uunet!wang!harvee!scm) if you can, me
(uunet!xanadu!STella) if you can't, and post if both of those bomb for
you.  Thanks!

Love is the law, love under will!
STella@xanadu.com	1016 E. El Camino Real, #302, Sunnyvale, CA 94087

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (11/16/89)

STella Calvert (STella@xanadu.UUCP) forwards this from her friend:
>...I don't know how they caught them but my neighbors have three
>cardinals...

It is illegal under federal law in the USA and Canada to possess
native birds, dead or alive.  Shooting them is also illegal.
Exceptions are made for hunting and scientific research, but only with
the proper licenses and permits.  Introduced birds (e.g., starlings,
house sparrows, rock doves) are excepted.

If you are aware of any violations of this law, you should report
them to the authorities; failure to report violations could make
you liable as an accessory.  Game wardens or other employees of
your state game and fish department can handle these complaints.
They will also handle any necessary rehabilitation.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
john@nmtsun.nmt.edu, ucbvax!unmvax!nmtsun!john

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (11/16/89)

In article <3499@nmtsun.nmt.edu> john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:
>If you are aware of any violations of this law, you should report
>them to the authorities; failure to report violations could make
>you liable as an accessory.  Game wardens or other employees of
>your state game and fish department can handle these complaints.
>They will also handle any necessary rehabilitation.

Reporting violations can well lead to the destruction of the birds.
Far too many state game officers would rather destroy the bird than
bother with the difficulty of finding a rehabilitator.  I've "rescued"
many birds and been told to just put them back outside by local game
types when it would have been impossible for them to survive.  Wildlife
rehabilitators will tell you that it is rare that these state people will
bother to bring them an injured bird or animal.  Most of them come
from private shelter people or those who find the bird in the first place.

There have also been multiple cases of people finding and rehabilitating
birds to the point where the bird will survive, but have some physical
defect that makes it unsuitable for life in the wild.  When game types
have found out about this, they have confiscated and destroyed the bird.
This happened last year with a crow whose wing had to be amputated.  The
bird had become a pet, learned to talk and was having a wonderful life when
the state of arizona decided that they knew better and destroyed the bird.

The intent of the laws against taking native birds is good.  Unfortunately,
sometimes it is lost on those who wish to uphold the letter of the law at
the expense of the birds.

Mikki Barry

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (11/17/89)

First, I wrote:
+---
| Game wardens or other employees of your state game and fish
| department...will also handle any necessary rehabilitation.
+---

Mikki Barry replied:
+---
| Reporting violations can well lead to the destruction of the birds.
| Far too many state game officers would rather destroy the bird than
| bother with the difficulty of finding a rehabilitator.
+---

Thanks, Mikki, I was going by what I've seen with the New Mexico
Game & Fish folks; it never occurred to me that other states
might be more hard-hearted.  I encourage anyone with knowledge of
such an incident, where a bird was `rescued' only to be
destroyed, to complain to the director of the agency in question.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
john@nmtsun.nmt.edu, ucbvax!unmvax!nmtsun!john
``Let's go outside and commiserate with nature.'' [Dave Farber]

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (11/17/89)

One of the most useful resources I've found for dealing with birds that
need rehabilitation is an avian vet.  They have lists of all of the people
in your area that do bird rehabilitation services.  They are usually
licensed by the state and required to take courses to teach them proper
ways of dealing with hurt birds, with the hope they can be re-released.

I've had great luck in Virginia.  Before I knew how to hand feed birds,
I found a baby mockingbird whose mother was trying very hard to defend
it from a crow that had killed his nestmate.  The baby was soon going to
lose so I took it (much to the annoyance of his mother).  The wildlife
rehab person came and took him (after I fed him hard boiled egg yolk
through the night) and put him in a home nest with 3 other babies who
were released 30 days later when they were mature.  There have been other
instances in this state and NH where I used to live where wildlife people
were wonderful and went far out of their way to come get and take care of
an injured bird (or possum in NJ where the police offered to come shoot
it.  All that was wrong with it was a concussion which it recovered
from in 24 hours and was released).

Friends of Animals volunteers also often have knowledge of rehabilitaiton.
So do some private animal shelters.

It's actually a wonder that this person with the cardinals got them to
survive.  I'm told that cardinals, sparrows, robins, etc. are among the
most difficult to deal with because they are so fragile.  Mockingbirds, on
the other hand, are VERY tough :-)

Mikki Barry