[rec.birds] fragile fringillids, etc.

gmr044@leah.Albany.Edu (Gregg Recer) (11/17/89)

In article <1557@intercon.com> ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:

>(text about bird rehab. deleted)
>

>It's actually a wonder that this person with the cardinals got them to
>survive.  I'm told that cardinals, sparrows, robins, etc. are among the
>most difficult to deal with because they are so fragile.  Mockingbirds, on
>the other hand, are VERY tough :-)

Actually my experience has been quite the opposite.  In our lab we do
foraging experiments with finches.  I've worked with dark-eyed and
yellow-eyed juncos, song sparrows and white-throats.  All of these
birds actually do quite well considering that they do endure a fair
amount of handling when being netted, banded and so on.  Once they are
put into their cages and have a few days to settle down and get
acclimated they get along very well [they even occasionally behave the
way we predict they should !!! :*) ].  Of course, this does not mean I
endorse the idea of capturing native birds for use as pets; we have
state and federal scientific collecting permits which allow us to
net birds.  I couldn't comment on the responses of these or other
birds while being rehabilitated since I've never been involved in that
kind of activity.

As an aside:  This group really is my favorite to read, partly because
I enjoy birds and birding and partly because the atmosphere on this
group is generally quite nice.  The bordering-on-flame-level intensity
of a few persons regarding the interminable birding-versus-cage-bird
debate has been a bit out of character for this forum.  Personally, I
have no problem reading some cage-bird posts along with the birding
info.  I know people who are actually into both (seems hard to
believe, doesn't it??).  I don't keep pet birds myself, but if you
want to talk about fish/herp keeping I can get into that [alas, we
don't get alt.aquaria on our system 8^( ].  Bye for now...

Gregg

     "In future you should delete the words crunchy frog and
     replace them with the legend crunchy raw unboned real
     dead frog!!"
                 -- Inspector Bradshaw, The Hygiene Division