[rec.birds] Captive breeding of raptors

jms@turing.newcastle.ac.uk (J.M. Spencer) (11/22/89)

Does anyone have any information on the captive breedings of hawks?
I would be particularly grateful for any references to scientific papers
on the subject especially, although not exclusively,  with respect to
goshawks (accipiter gentilis).  The kind of information I am seeking
includes the dimensions and type of aviary, the materials used, whether they
are skylight-and-seclusion, the type of roofing, what facilities are provided
for the hawks, the feedstuffs used including nature of sources,  details
concerning the origins of the breeding stock eg: are they wild taken eyasses,
passage hawks, haggards or captive-bred themselves; were they manned and flown
or simply placed in the aviaries, any and everything really.

What I would like to be able to do is to establish a set of criteria under
which goshawks will breed in captivity.  Any information gratefully accepted.

Regards,

Jonathan M Spencer

heneghan@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (joseph.t.heneghan) (11/28/89)

In article <1989Nov21.165821.18612@newcastle.ac.uk> jms@turing.newcastle.ac.uk (J.M. Spencer) writes:
>Does anyone have any information on the captive breedings of hawks?
>Regards,
>Jonathan M Spencer
I live in the Chicago area and state law says that you must pass a
test which reflects your knowledge of raptors. They send you a 15 page
study guide which includes info. on building specs for sheds etc. You
also have to have a mentor, and you start with a red-tailed hawk. There's
five levels of experience and you must be tested as you acheive the
next level. A level 5 grants you a permit to raise and breed Peregrine
falcons. Anyway, I guess this is similar in all states. Presumably
something like this would exist in your country.

					Joe Heneghan