[rec.birds] Bird Identification Books

edm@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Ed Matthews) (11/29/89)

The Christmas season is upon us and my wife would like to get me a new
birding book since I've not been all that pleased with my Audubon Guide
to Eastern Birds.  It just doesn't have enough birds or enough field marks
for me to distinguish a lot of birds around here (Washington DC).  I'd
like to be able to identify a bird as more than "it's some kind of sparrow,
probably a female."  Can anyone give me a recommendation? -- I'm not a hard
core birder, but I do like to know what I'm looking at.
--

Ed Matthews                                                edm@verdix.com
Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600

sandee@loligo (Daan Sandee) (11/30/89)

In article <23973@vrdxhq.verdix.com> edm@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Ed Matthews) writes:
>The Christmas season is upon us and my wife would like to get me a new
>birding book since I've not been all that pleased with my Audubon Guide
>to Eastern Birds.  It just doesn't have enough birds or enough field marks
>for me to distinguish a lot of birds around here (Washington DC).  I'd
>like to be able to identify a bird as more than "it's some kind of sparrow,
>probably a female."  Can anyone give me a recommendation? -- I'm not a hard
>core birder, but I do like to know what I'm looking at.
>--

This is an easy one, because the possibilities are limited (to three).

If you have discovered that the Audubon's guide isn't all that good, you
have passed the first stage of a birder's career : you want to do more than
to tell a cardinal from a robin. For which you will need a REAL field guide.

1. Peterson's Field Guide to the Birds (East of the Rockies) : the ancestor
of all the field guides in the world, and still one of the best. It has the
best pictures by far. The information is adequate, though not quite up to
date ; the restriction to Eastern birds is usually an advantage, but
occasionally a disadvantage, because Western strays do turn up in the East.
It has the disadvantage of having the range maps separate from the text.

2. Golden Guide to bird identification (or some such title ; the book is
actually blue, but it used to be golden in earlier editions). Covers the
entire US and Canada. Reasonably good pictures, but notoriously inaccurate.
A bit short on information, because of space problems. The handiest guide
for the Western US (Peterson's Western Field Guide is way out of date ; a
new edition, after nearly 40 years, is forthcoming).

3. National Geographic Society Field Guide : the most thorough. Not really
pocket size (more a paperback). Most up to date, and the worst pictures
(by various artists ; some of the pictures are really incredibly bad).

If you want to identify by picture, use Peterson ; if you get to be more
of an expert, and really want to be able to tell a juvenile orange-crowned
warbler from a ditto Tennessee warbler, use the National Geograhic.
The first 2 above should be available in any bookstore ; the NGS guide is
NOT available in bookstores ; try the bookshop at the Visitor Center at
your local National Wildlife Refuge, or Museum of Natural History, or some
such.

Daan Sandee                                             sandee@sun6.scri.fsu.edu
Control Data Corporation
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052    (904) 644-7045

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (11/30/89)

Ed Matthews (edm@vrdxhq.verdix.com) writes:
+---
| The Christmas season is upon us and my wife would like to get
| me a new birding book...Can anyone give me a recommendation?
+---

Probably the best all-around field guide is ``Field Guide to
the Birds of North America,'' 2nd ed., by the National
Geographic Society (1987).  Most of the serious birders I
know prefer it if they're only going to carry one book.  It
shows more different plumages of the common birds and also
has the most rarities and exotics.  The range maps and ID
hints are pretty current.  It retails for $21.  Avoid the
first edition, which has numerous errors.

The budget alternative is ``Guide to Field Identification:
Birds of North America'' by Robbins (1983), priced at $10.
This one is physically a little smaller and misses a lot
more of the plumages that I see, but it is adequate for most
birders in most situations.

The three-volume ``Audubon Society Master Guide to Birding''
(1986?, $42), is not easy to carry in the field without some
kind of backpack, but is worth it for serious birders who
need all the help they can get on tough groups such as
_Empidonax_ flycatchers.

My standard field kit consists of a Nat. Geo. guide and the
``Peterson Field Guide: Hawks'' (1987, $14) since I'm a hawk
fan and we get a lot of screwball hawk plumages around here.
I use a ``Pelican Pouch'' ($10.50) to carry these on my
belt.  If I'm not expecting anything rare, sometimes I'll
just put a Robbins guide in my back jeans pocket instead
(the Geo guide is just a bit large for this).  The 3-volume
Audubon Master Guide lives in the car, and on serious
expeditions I'll also load up some special books like the
Hayman's ``Shorebirds: An Identification Guide'' (pricey at
$34 but really excellent for those tough shorebird
plumages).

Everything I've mentioned in this posting is available from
ABA Sales, the commercial arm of the American Birding
Association.  ABA members get discounts.  Call them at
800-634-7736 (719-634-7736 in Canada) or write to POB 6599,
Colorado Springs, CO 80934.  They usually have everything in
stock and will do rush orders.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with ABA sales, I just
like their service.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
john@nmtsun.nmt.edu, ucbvax!unmvax!nmtsun!john

christ@ccnysci.UUCP (Chris Thompson) (11/30/89)

In article <23973@vrdxhq.verdix.com>, edm@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Ed Matthews) writes:
> The Christmas season is upon us and my wife would like to get me a new
> birding book since I've not been all that pleased with my Audubon Guide
> to Eastern Birds.  It just doesn't have enough birds or enough field marks
> for me to distinguish a lot of birds around here (Washington DC).  I'd
> like to be able to identify a bird as more than "it's some kind of sparrow,
> probably a female."  Can anyone give me a recommendation? -- I'm not a hard
> core birder, but I do like to know what I'm looking at.

I usually carry 2 with me...the Peterson Guide to Birds of Eastern N.A., and
the Golden Guide to birds of North America.  Both have their advantages:
I think the Peterson has better field marks, and they are shown in a more
obvious fashion.  The Golden Guide contains ALL North American Birds, so
that weird thing up there which is really bothering you will be identifiable
as a truly fouled up and lost red-shafted flicker.  Also, the range maps in
the Golden Guide are opposite the drawings, which can also be quite useful.

You'll have to decide which is better for you...my advice is to get both,
try them out, and use the one you feel more comfortable with.  Remember,
though: using any new field guide will take some practice!

Chris Thompson

--
Chris Thompson
<cbtcc@cunyvm.cuny.edu>

bob@delphi.uchicago.edu (Rob Lewis [5-2503]) (11/30/89)

My favorite field guide is the National Geographic guide, which can be
purchased directly from the Society  (I think they have an 800 number
that you can get from phone company information [1-800-555-1212]).
I don't think any of the other guides comes close, though Peterson is
good for beginners because it covers a smaller region and therefore
shows fewer species than those guides that cover the whole country.

jim@hpfcso.HP.COM (Jim Tear) (12/01/89)

I got my National Geographic bird book at the bookstore at Colorado
State Univerisity.  I have all three of the books mentioned.  I prefer
the National Geographic one.  I don't like photographic guides to birds.

	Jim Tear