[rec.birds] Leitz and Zeiss Binoculars

shun@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (shun.cheung) (11/30/89)

My wife is very interested in bird watching and her birthday
is coming up in about a month. I am thinking about getting
her a pair of binoculars. She is small and has problems with
hand-shaking, so I think something like 8x30 would be suitable.
I understand that both Zeiss and Leitz are excellent brands.
I would like to know people's comments/comparisons among
binoculars in these two brands and possibly other manufacturers.

Thanks in advance.

-- Shun Cheung, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Middletown, New Jersey
     electronic: shun@hou2d.att.com,  att!hou2d!shun,  or shun@cbnewsh.att.com
       voice: (201) 615-5135

grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) (11/30/89)

In article <6172@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> shun@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (shun.cheung) writes:
>My wife is very interested in bird watching and her birthday
>is coming up in about a month. I am thinking about getting
>her a pair of binoculars. She is small and has problems with
>hand-shaking, so I think something like 8x30 would be suitable.
>I understand that both Zeiss and Leitz are excellent brands.
>I would like to know people's comments/comparisons among
>binoculars in these two brands and possibly other manufacturers.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>-- Shun Cheung, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Middletown, New Jersey

I bought a pair of Leitz 7x35 about a year ago, and they are wonderful.  They
retail for close to $1000, but you can get them for a lot less, maybe around
$500 if you go to 47th Street Photo, or a good camera store.  They come with
a lifetime warantee, so store support is no problem.

They are a very bright, crisp pairs of binocs, and to me they are well worth
the investment.  Definitely get the armor coating.  When I was in California
for the very first time, interviewing for this job, I bashed them on a boulder
in the Sierras.  They now have a permanent dent on the obnjective side, but
the alignment did not go out so much as a hair.

If your wife has a problem with handshaking, try out the 8x30 on a cold day
before you buy.  The higher the power, the worse the apparent shake will
be.  She may find that 7 power binocs siut her better.

- Greg

Greg Pasquariello	(916) 920-9092		grp@unify.UUCP
Unify Corporation				...!{csusac, pyramid}!unify!grp

christ@ccnysci.UUCP (Chris Thompson) (12/03/89)

In article <6172@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>, shun@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (shun.cheung) writes:
> My wife is very interested in bird watching and her birthday
> is coming up in about a month. I am thinking about getting
> her a pair of binoculars. She is small and has problems with
> hand-shaking, so I think something like 8x30 would be suitable.
> I understand that both Zeiss and Leitz are excellent brands.
> I would like to know people's comments/comparisons among
> binoculars in these two brands and possibly other manufacturers.

Well, a couple of people have asked about binox recently.  The answer to all
your questions is: it depends.  I am extremely happy with an old pair of
Nikon 8x40, but I don't think these are made anymore.  If you want to get a
set of binoculars as a gift, I think the best thing is to take your wife along
and let her choose.  Especially if she wears glasses!  That was the determining
factor in my case: neith the Leitz nor the Zeiss had a good enough relief
(the distance your eye can comfortbly be from the lens) to accomodate my
glasses.  The way to safeguard your choice and make sure your wife is happy
is to let her pick them out.  (At least, she can't complain). :)

Chris Thompson
--
Chris Thompson
<cbtcc@cunyvm.cuny.edu>