[rec.birds] INDOOR

mary@dinorah.wustl.edu (Mary E. Leibach) (12/06/89)

Sick, as I suppose most of the rest of you are, of the "cat topic", I
thought I would make a positive contribution to this group (in the sum
of ... just kidding ;-).  As Christmas is a coming on, I thought I
would do a little posting on some Christmas related bird topics.
Those of you who don't like our ramblings (Blake's Birds are
contributing to this effort) better hit "n" now.  I'm about to get
[insert your favorite word for my condition here].

Christmas is a time for decorations, gift giving, eating, inviting
friends over, etc.  But don't forget the birdies!  Yes, those cute,
cudly little feather balls that share our homes or backyards deserve a
good Christmas too.  First a few cautions to help your birdie have a
safe holiday.

Many people hang mistletoe, receive poinsettias, etc.  Please be aware
that these, and other Christmas plants are toxic to birds.  If you are
in doubt about the safeness of a particular plant, please keep it away
from your birdies.  (This also helps keep the plant safe and in one
piece. :-)  The tree is also a bad place for a birdie.  Electrical
wires can be chewed through and electricute your birdie.  Hot bulbs
can give a burn.  Tinsel, glitter, and garland may be hazardous if
swallowed or tangled up into.  Glass ornaments may be knocked down and
broken, creating a sharp hazard to cut your birdie.  Christmas occurs
in winter weather in many areas, so watch for drafts from company
coming.  Every bird owner should be aware of the dangers presented by
non-stick cookware, but with all the cooking being done over the
holidays, extra care must be taken.  Of course, a mob of strange
people doesn't exactly add to your bird's feelings of security, so
birdie should only receive guests that he/she knows and loves.  Birdie
should be kept from cigarette smoke, and should NEVER be given
alcoholic drinks.

From the above, it sounds like your bird should be cooped up in a bare
padded cell over the holidays.  Not so.  Schedule special time to
spend with your birds.  If your birdie MUST have a tree, make one from
a non-toxic branch decked with popcorn strings and hung with nuts and
dried fruit.  It may look kind of dumb to you, but your bird will
think it is delicious.  You might make one for the birds outside too!
Just make sure no over-eating takes place.  Vic-Tanny doesn't accept
birdie memberships.  Nuts are a nice seasonal treat/toy for birds.
Just keep in mind that they have a lot of fat in them, and should be
fed in small quantities.  Vila enjoys drinking fruit juice.  If you
don't want to waste a big bottle, Gerber sells juices in small
individual reclosable jars for a few cents.  Don't forget your bird's
daily fruit and veggie requirements.  If you are too busy cooking
people food to slice and dice, try the salad bar at your local
supermarket.  You should be able to get brocoli, carrots, radishes,
pineapple, melon, etc, in smaller pieces.  And you can mix and match,
feeding a colorful variety that is good for birdie and easy for you.
Some of the table scraps from that lucious Christmas dinner may be
good for your birdie.  A little meat from your turkey or a well cooked
bone is good.  (And no, it is no more canabalism than a fox eating a
rabit.)  Cooked veggies, whole wheat bread, etc. are also good.  Just
stay away from chocolate, heavy spices and sweets.  Winter,
particularly when there is snow on the ground, is a hard time for
outdoor birdies.  Wild bird mixes help, as does suet.  But if you want
them to have a Christmas feast, get a small bag of good cockatiel seed
from your pet shop, and mix that in.  My mother's birds go wild over
the stuff!!!  And if the ground is snow covered, some parakeet grit is
deeply appreciated.

Now what do you get a birdie for Christmas?  If his/her cage isn't big
enough (they never seem to be) and you can afford it, a new cage might
be the ticket.  Just be careful introducing it to your birdie.  Blakey
moved into his new cage (and I thought I WAS careful) and promptly
went on a hunger strike!  It took me two days to get that bird to eat,
and the only way I did it was to put his food in a mirror bottomed
bird bath.  So now he eats out of a bird bath.  :-)

If your bird comes out of the cage every day for playtime, and does
not yet have one, a nice playgym would be a good way to keep some of
his mess and destruction confined to one area while giving him neat
things to do.  New toys, a bird bath, etc. also make good presents.

For your little friends outside, bird feeders, baths and houses are
the obvious presents (though they may not be able to use the last two
till spring.)

This posting is a public service of Blake's Birds(tm).  Corrections
and additions are heartily welcome.  Also, those knowing more than I
do about wild birds and what turns them on are invited to share their
knowledge.  Blake's Birds(tm) want every bird and their humans to have
a happy, safe and Birdie Christmas!

	-Mary and Birdies!

grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) (12/07/89)

In article <1046@dinorah.wustl.edu> mary@dinorah.wustl.edu (Mary E. Leibach) writes:

>Many people hang mistletoe, receive poinsettias, etc.  Please be aware
>that these, and other Christmas plants are toxic to birds.  If you are
>in doubt about the safeness of a particular plant, please keep it away
>from your birdies.  (This also helps keep the plant safe and in one
>piece. :-)  The tree is also a bad place for a birdie.  Electrical
>wires can be chewed through and electricute your birdie.  Hot bulbs
>can give a burn.  Tinsel, glitter, and garland may be hazardous if
>swallowed or tangled up into.  Glass ornaments may be knocked down and
>broken, creating a sharp hazard to cut your birdie.
>
>	-Mary and Birdies!

Can we try these methods on cats too?

Sorry, I have kept my mouth shut on the whole cat thing, but I couldn't
resist after reading this article... :-)

- Greg

Greg Pasquariello	(916) 920-9092		grp@unify.UUCP
Unify Corporation				...!{csusac, pyramid}!unify!grp