[net.unix-wizards] wish_list: csh startup

Michael.Young@CMU-CS-A@sri-unix (11/21/82)

From: Michael Wayne Young <Michael.Young@CMU-CS-A>
Date: 17 November 1982 1614-EST (Wednesday)
I wish that csh weren't so particular about determining its
current directory when it starts up; often, I wind up in a directory
that I couldn't find my way out of, and starting a 'csh' just
dies .  A common example is sitting in one of my deeply-nested
directories, and using "su" to someone else (but not root, of course).
Since 'csh' can't figure out where it is, it just quits, with no
diagnostics even.  Admittedly, it'd make the directory stack
harder to deal with, but it's certainly not impossible.
[As a suggested solution, just set cwd to "."; you'd never get
back there after a "pushd", but that's not important.]

Similarly, it'd be nice if "csh" would let you eliminate directories
from your stack if they become not searchable (e.g. gone).  On
occasion, I end up with a removed directory in my stack, and there's
no way to get it out, as a "popd" will just emit a "foo: directory not found"
(or something like that) message.

			Michael