[rec.birds] Chicken Hawks

dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) (12/05/89)

While it is true that the Cooper's hawk is the one that is most
commonly referred to as "chicken hawk", the term has a tendency
to be applied to any raptor seen within 100 feet of a chicken
coop.  Those that eat birds, of course, are most often seen there,
but I've had reports of redtail "chickenhawks", kestrel "chicken-
hawks" and even once a grouse "chickenhawk".  Gotta watch those
carnivorous grouse!

There was an article in National Geographic back in 1975 about
Cooper's hawks ("Can the Cooper's Hawk Survive?", NG, exact issue
unknown, '75) that should dispel any illusion about their shyness.
There are some great pictures of a male Coop shredding a
photographer who got too close to the nest.  Recommended reading
for any raptor-lover!  Check your local library.

--
Sam Conway
dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu                        Save the Humans!

grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) (12/06/89)

In article <17670@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) writes:
>While it is true that the Cooper's hawk is the one that is most
>commonly referred to as "chicken hawk", the term has a tendency
>to be applied to any raptor seen within 100 feet of a chicken
>coop.  Those that eat birds, of course, are most often seen there,
>but I've had reports of redtail "chickenhawks", kestrel "chicken-
>hawks" and even once a grouse "chickenhawk".  Gotta watch those
>carnivorous grouse!
>
>Sam Conway

Speaking of chicken hawks...

This rminded me of a story a friend told me.  She is a locally well known
birder, and as such, receives a lot of phone calls and other correspondence
asking her to identify things.  One day, she got a call from a woman who
said she had an eagle in her yard.  Judy (my friend) asked the woman to
describe the bird.  The woman gave the description, and had Judy completely
stumped.  Finally, in exasperation, Judy decided to drive the 5 miles or
so to the woman's house to see the alleged eagle.  The bird turned out to
be a chicken!   (True story, I swear!)

-Greg
Greg Pasquariello	(916) 920-9092		grp@unify.UUCP
Unify Corporation				...!{csusac, pyramid}!unify!grp

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (12/06/89)

In article <17670@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) writes:
> While it is true that the Cooper's hawk is the one that is most
> commonly referred to as "chicken hawk", the term has a tendency
> to be applied to any raptor seen within 100 feet of a chicken coop.

	There is no doubt that farmers used the raids of Cooper's
Hawks as an excuse for blowing any raptor they saw out of the sky.
I remember reading a story of a man who watched a farmer shoot a
Great Horned Owl. After the deed was done, the farmer was overheard
muttering "durn chicken hawk".

Mike

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (12/07/89)

In article <17670@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) writes:

> There was an article in National Geographic back in 1975 about
> Cooper's hawks ("Can the Cooper's Hawk Survive?", NG, exact issue
> unknown, '75) that should dispel any illusion about their shyness.
> There are some great pictures of a male Coop shredding a
> photographer who got too close to the nest.  Recommended reading
> for any raptor-lover!  Check your local library.

	It's the March 1974 issue. I've just checked it out of the
library. Most libraries probably won't have the issue out on the
shelves, but they should have it in storage and be able to make it
available to you.

Mike