[rec.birds] Suburban raptors

rcb33483@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kehaar) (11/29/89)

In article <2160@heavens-gate.lucid.com> pab@lucid.com (Peter Benson) writes:

>Well this discussion is way off birds, but my experience is a bit a of
>twist.  My cat was most likely eaten by a redtail.  It was in a pretty
>remote place, and I don't think it's very likely to happen anywhere very
>suburban.  I missed the cat when she disappeared, but I felt it was a much
>better way to go than getting run over by a car.  She was probably
>encroaching on the turf of the redtails.  Though the hawks didn't do near
>as good a job at keeping the squirrels out of my food.  (Near this time I
>had a redtail drop the claws and tail of an eaten sharp shinned(?) hawk on
>the hood of my car.  I took it as an omen that the cat was really gone.)

You are probably right about your cat getting eaten by a red-tailed hawk.
However, I find it extremely odd that a red-tail would drop the talons and
rectrices (tailfeathers) of a eaten sharp-shinned hawk, for two reasons.  One,
the sharp-shin is highly manuverable--far more so than a big buteo.  Further,
the red-tail is not generally considered a bird-eater, but preys primarily on
rodents.  However, a hawk will take whatever is easiest, and if it came upon
a sick or wounded sharp-shin, the sharp-shin would probably become dinner.
The other reason that this is odd, though, is the way this red-tail handled
it's prey.  First, most bird-eaters will swallow the rectrices along with the
pygostyle (the muscle group which controls the tailfeathers).  Also, a red-tail
will _always_ take apart it's prey on the ground, and never (at least that I
heard of) carry the inedible remains of their prey around.

>I see a lot of turkey vultures, and hawks (redtails mostly, but some
>coopers hawks(?)) around where I live and work (mostly suburban Palo Alto
>and Menlo Park, CA).  Where do they eat?  I see vultures all the time.  The
>suburban area can't be a very good place to see carrion.  I have seen some
>coopers hawks(?) going after pigeons.  Are they mostly just straying into
>the 'burbs from the bay or the hills, or do they find anything to eat
>there?  Do we have any other reports of raptor and vulture (are vultures
>considered raptors too?) behavior in the 'burbs.

Yes, vultures are considered bona fide raptors. A surprising amount of carrion
is present in a suburban area.  However, during lean times, the
vultures will act as hawks and hunt rodents, which they are perfectly
capable of doing.  Also, Coopers Hawks are shy birds of the deep forest.
However, Sharp-Shinned Hawks have nothing against the suburbs when it comes
to hunting, and you might also look to see if these "Cooper's Hawks" are
Merlins, which go under the alias "Pigeon Hawk."  However, telling
between Cooper's Hawks and Sharp-Shinned Hawks in some cases is the most
difficult of all raptor identification puzzles.  However, even during migration,Cooper's Hawks tend to stick to the forests.  A suburban Cooper's would be the
rarest of rarities.

But, recall the fundamental rule of birding:  Birds never follow human-set
rules, at least not all of the time.  This rule is the reason birding is
so fun...

R. Cody Buchmann                             ^.^
   "Kehaar"

email: rcb33483@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu       "Now I fly for you..." - Watership Down

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (11/29/89)

According to one story I heard, there was at least one Great
Horned Owl that specialized in hunting well-fed suburban
cats around Los Altos Hills in the Bay Area.

Sharp-shinned Hawks will often patrol bird feeders.  I lost
a House Finch to an adult female just last week; she spent
20 minutes dismembering and eating it (marvelously
efficient, eating everything but some of the larger
feathers), then hopped to a nearby perch and relaxed for
another half an hour.  I live right in town, although the
town is not too large (8,000).

I also see American Kestrels in town fairly often, and the
other day I saw a larger falcon here, possibly a Merlin.
Red-tails and Turkey Vultures were some of the first birds I
put on my yard list.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
john@nmtsun.nmt.edu, ucbvax!unmvax!nmtsun!john

pab@lucid.com (Peter Benson) (11/30/89)

In article <1989Nov29.032434.9233@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> rcb33483@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kehaar) writes:

[...]

The redtail had been in a tree and I disturbed it.  It dropped the remains
on the truck as it flew off.  As I remember I was very sure it was a sharpy
after looking carefully at the feathers and studying the books that I had.
Around the same time I disturbed another hawk (probably redtail) while
eating a snake and it dropped it in front of my car.  Things were feeling
very ominous at that time.  It could have been a coyote or a great horned
owl that got the cat, but that incident convinced me that it could easily
have been a redtail.  This was in a very remote section of canyon country
in southern Utah.

-ptr-
pab@lucid.com

rcb33483@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (R C. Buchmann) (11/30/89)

In article <2161@heavens-gate.lucid.com> pab@lucid.com (Peter Benson) writes:

>The redtail had been in a tree and I disturbed it.  It dropped the remains
>on the truck as it flew off.  As I remember I was very sure it was a sharpy
>after looking carefully at the feathers and studying the books that I had.
>Around the same time I disturbed another hawk (probably redtail) while
>eating a snake and it dropped it in front of my car.  Things were feeling
>very ominous at that time.  It could have been a coyote or a great horned
>owl that got the cat, but that incident convinced me that it could easily
>have been a redtail.  This was in a very remote section of canyon country
>in southern Utah.

Oops.  My mistake.  This particular redtail, as I suggested earlier, probably
found himself a sick and/or injured sharp-shin that was unable to defend
itself (and a sharp-shin must be pretty far gone to be unable to defend itself!), and made a meal of it.  Hawks, when they haven't eaten for a while, ain't
picky.  However, if your cat got lost in a place like you described, death
by redtail is only one of several possible deaths.  And as I said, birds live
to break human rules...

geek@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Chris Schmandt) (11/30/89)

In article <1989Nov29.032434.9233@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> rcb33483@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kehaar) writes:
>...  Also, a red-tail
>will _always_ take apart it's prey on the ground, and never (at least that I
>heard of) carry the inedible remains of their prey around.

I don't wish to disagree with someone who obviously knows an
awful lot about raptors as Kehaar!  (interesting postings, too!).
But I've seen a Red Tail dismember a pigeon(?) in a tree (while
being mobbed by quite a crowd of crows.  I am not sure how much
was actually eaten at this location, though.

chris

jms@turing.newcastle.ac.uk (J.M. Spencer) (11/30/89)

Following on the discussion of redtailed hawk eats cats...

I am a falconer and fly a redtail.  My hawk has several times attacked cats
with intent to devour them.  Fortunately, she has thus far been unsuccessful.
I have a friend whose Harris hawk has lost two toes and the use of a third
through an attack on a feral cat.  The cat bit the hawk deep in the thigh.
This led to a serious infection which almost killed the hawk.  The hawk
still has the main toes and so can still hunt rabbits, but tends to loose
more of them.

On the subject of whether a redtail could catch a Cooper's hawk.  A redtail
is *very* unlikely to catch one.  But my redtail is very partial to carrion,
so what's to say a wild redtail cannot find a dead Coopers and eat it.  Also
most hawks *will not* eat the primary feathers from the wings not the tail
feathers of their quarry unless the quarry is very small and the hawk in
low condition ie: approaching starvation.  What time of year did the redtail
drop its food onto the car.  Summer time?  If so, it will have been carrying
the food back to its nest for theyoung hawks.

mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) (12/02/89)

    Well... recently I mentioned about having a hawk pair in our
    wooded yard (strange since it's a VERY congested area nearby or
    do these type of hawks not mind people?) and it was being
    attacked in the air by *5* crows!  BIG CROWS!  They were
    winning too (the hawk kept trying to fly away but never attacked
    the crows).  Is this normal?  I'd sure hate to see those garbage pickers
    make meat out of the hawk!

--

dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) (12/02/89)

In regards to the question about hawks being mobbed by crows, this
is very commonly-seen behavior.  No, they weren't out to eat the
hawk; they were trying to drive it away.  Since some hawks (goshawks,
notably) will eat crows, and the crows are well aware of this, they
will play it safe and band together to drive an invading hawk away.
One often sees songbirds doing the same thing.  No doubt the hawk
was just flying along, trying to ignore them as he went about his
business.

The noble falconer whose hawk was bitten by a cat is very lucky to
have saved the bird's life.  Cats carry a potent bacteria in their
saliva against which birds have little or no immunity; thus, a bite
from a cat, even if the wound itself is trivial, almost always spells
certain death for the bird.  The moral of the story is:  if Tabby
comes home with a live bird in his mouth, let him keep it.  You will
not be doing the bird any favors by wrestling it away from the cat and
setting it free.

  -- Sam Conway, Vermont Raptor Center
  dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu                    Save the humans!

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (12/03/89)

In article <1989Nov29.032434.9233@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, rcb33483@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kehaar) writes:

> Also, Coopers Hawks are shy birds of the deep forest.
> A suburban Cooper's would be the rarest of rarities.

	Actually, I've had a number of experiences observing Cooper's
Hawks in suburban settings. I've seen them in creekside habitats that
flow through residential areas, bordering on people's backyards; seen
them sitting in trees in frontyards along residential streets during
rush hour. On the day after Thanksgiving, when I arrived at my friend's
house to go out birding, one had just taken a bird in his backyard.
They are known to nest on the Stanford Campus, although off the beaten
path. Perhaps your experiences with them has something to do with
population differences; I've heard that they are less common in the east.

	Also, in the accounts that I have read about the infamous
"Chicken Hawk", they have been characterized as bold and daring in
their hunting, undeterred even by the presence of people.

Mike

rcb33483@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (R C. Buchmann) (12/05/89)

In article <51748@oliveb.olivetti.com> mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:

>	Actually, I've had a number of experiences observing Cooper's
>Hawks in suburban settings. I've seen them in creekside habitats that
>flow through residential areas, bordering on people's backyards; seen
>them sitting in trees in frontyards along residential streets during
>rush hour.

Whoops.  Again, my mistake.  I admit that I am _not_ a well traveled birder
(I don't own a car and don't have enough money to travel long distance), and
most of my ornithological know-how comes from books or, in the case of raptors,
my father.  In the east, Cooper's are not in the habit of going to the suburbs,
which have been taken over by Kestrels.  You are right that a Cooper's Hawk
is considered a rarity (at least in the midwest), but perhaps us birders are
missing more than we know in all the sharp-shins.

>	Also, in the accounts that I have read about the infamous
>"Chicken Hawk", they have been characterized as bold and daring in
>their hunting, undeterred even by the presence of people.

I forgot about those stories.  I did read once that Cooper's Hawks were one
of the fiercest accipiters (2nd only to Goshawk) and were totally undeterred
by man, and that they were the legendary "Chicken Hawk" (Although Goshawks
also played the part).  My comment about shy stemms from the fact that
Cooper's Hawks in the wilderness (at least here) seem leery of man.  Last year
was one of the worst years ever for winter bird populations, and I didn't hear
a single report of a Cooper's in a suburb.  But you are probably right--it
depends on the population.

grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) (12/05/89)

In article <51748@oliveb.olivetti.com> mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:
>In article <1989Nov29.032434.9233@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, rcb33483@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kehaar) writes:
>>
>> Also, Coopers Hawks are shy birds of the deep forest.
>> A suburban Cooper's would be the rarest of rarities.
>
>	Actually, I've had a number of experiences observing Cooper's
>Hawks in suburban settings. I've seen them in creekside habitats that

>population differences; I've heard that they are less common in the east.

Coops are a lot less common in the east.  The statistic I have heard is
1 coopers for every 40 sharpies.  In my experience at my Hawk watch it was
more like 1 cooper's for every 20 sharpies.  They tended to nest in more
remote areas, but in migration you could find them anywhere, including an
apple tree in someone's front yard along a busy thoroughfare.

>Mike

- Greg

Greg Pasquariello	(916) 920-9092		grp@unify.UUCP
Unify Corporation				...!{csusac, pyramid}!unify!grp

sid@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Sid Johnson WB6VWH) (12/06/89)

In article <17546@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) writes:

> (...good stuff deleted...)
>The noble falconer whose hawk was bitten by a cat is very lucky to
>have saved the bird's life.  Cats carry a potent bacteria in their
>saliva against which birds have little or no immunity; thus, a bite
>from a cat, even if the wound itself is trivial, almost always spells
>certain death for the bird.

Can you give more information on this?  I would like to know more and I
think others on the net could benefit also.

Over the past 25 years I have done almost exactly what you have said not to
do, except I didn't let them go, I tried to make sure they were healthy before
doing so.  Without exception they all died within 48 hrs, usually less, even
though a few had what appeared to be trivial wounds (one or two skin
punctures, virtually no bleeding).  My wife and I took turns staying up all
night on a couple of these incidents to no avail.  For awhile we thought that
we just didn't know enough about being bird vets  but it finally became
obvious that what we new, or didn't know, wasn't the main factor. Fortunately
wev'e only been through this 10 times or so and that is more than enough.

I don't know if I could take what you guys go through with taking care of
shot hawks and the like.  Keep up the great work

Sid Johnson (WB6VWH)  -         Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA
sid@jato.jpl.nasa.gov    UUCP:ames!elroy!jato!sid

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (12/07/89)

Oftentimes, avian vets in the area will tend to injured wild birds
without charge.  I've brought in a few to my local vet who has checked
them out and offered advice.

About cat bites, I am told that the bacteria in their mouths is very
nasty to most living creatures that are not cats.  Add to this is the
way they bite their prey.  They don't rip and tear like a dog does
(which actually is better since it causes bleeding that washes out the
bacteria the dog will leave on the animal) they literally inject their
germs into the wound.

My poor husband was attacked by a cat and wound up in the emergency
room with a hand full of nasty puncture wounds.  He found himself a human
pin cushion with a tetnus shot and antibiotics.  The doctor said that
whenever you get bit by a cat you should get your butt to the doc for
a dosage of antibiotics (no pun intended :-)).

It's much worse for the birds.  Not only do they have less blood overall
to lose, and far more complications from stress than humans do, but their
systems have a much worse time fighting off infection and poisons from
cat bites.  Wildlife rehabilitators often have antibiotics and dosage
information on hand for accident victims.  Vets and the state wildlife
office in your area will have rehabilitators names and phone numbers
available for you to contact and bring your injured birds to.  Sitting
up all night with an injured bird won't do either of you any good if you
don't know exactly what you're doing and have the proper tools available.
I'm not saying that to make anyone feel bad who has taken the time and
effort to try to save a wounded bird.  I'm saying it because the rehab
people are trained (oftentimes better than regular vets) specifically to
take care of wild animals and know how best not to stress them and how to
treat their wounds in the least traumatic way.  And they are oftentimes
very grateful that you care enough to "bother" to take the poor thing
to them.  They also have humane methods to destroy those that can't be
saved and end their suffering.  They have a feel for who will live and
who is suffering needlessly.

I'd love to get into raptor rehabilitation, but I doubt if I could watch
them eat :-)

Mikki Barry

mary@dinorah.wustl.edu (Mary E. Leibach) (12/07/89)

sid@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Sid Johnson WB6VWH) writes:

>In article <17546@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) writes:
[About potent bacteria in cat saliva.]

>Can you give more information on this?  I would like to know more and I
>think others on the net could benefit also.

I have read the same thing in Bird Talk magazine.  If I remember
correctly, the claws also carry bacteria, as well as the saliva and
claws of dogs.  This is why if you allow your bird to play with your
dogs and cats, you should supervise them closely.  On the other side
of the fence, parrots have some pretty respectable beaks that can do
some real damage to your dog or cat's nose.  Pets of different species
should not be allowed unsupervised play.  Cally and Vila break this
rule by living together, but they were closely supervised at first to
make sure they would get along.

Anyone out there with Bird Talk handy, or a vet, who could tell us
more about this bacteria, and for sure if dogs are involved?

	-Mary and Blake's Birds(tm)