[rec.birds] feeding peanut butter

ssb@lanl.gov (Susan S Bunker) (12/13/89)

In the Backyard Bird Watcher by Harrison (pp 152-154),
the dangers of peanut butter are called a myth.  This
is supported by a quote from the assistant director of
Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology.  A few other worries
(myths) are covered as well, such as metal perches and
interrupted feeding.

I mix 1 part seed or yellow cornmeal with 1 part peanut
butter to make the stuff stiffer.  The Pigmy and White-
breasted Nuthatches love it as do the Steller's Jays;
and it's the only thing that entices the Ruby-crowned
Kinglet to make his infrequent visits.  That's a treat.

Sue Bunker
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM
ssb@lanl.gov

pratt@paul.rutgers.edu (Lorien Y. Pratt) (12/13/89)

>...A few other worries
>(myths) are covered as well, such as metal perches and
>interrupted feeding.

I am interested in these myths in general, but in particular, I'd like
to hear the one about ``interrupted feeding''.  Does this mean that
when we go on vacation over xmas and aren't able to feed the birds, that
they won't starve?
  --Lorien
L. Y. Pratt                            	   Computer Science Department
pratt@paul.rutgers.edu                     Rutgers University
                                           Hill Center
(201) 932-4634                             New Brunswick, NJ  08901

bob@delphi.uchicago.edu (Rob Lewis) (12/13/89)

In article <38697@lanl.gov> ssb@lanl.gov (Susan S Bunker) writes:
>In the Backyard Bird Watcher by Harrison (pp 152-154),
>the dangers of peanut butter are called a myth.  This
>is supported by a quote from the assistant director of
>Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology.  A few other worries
>(myths) are covered as well, such as metal perches and
>interrupted feeding.

Susan--

Please elaborate on the metal perches:  are they really not as bad as
I've been told they are?

Thanks

Rob Lewis