[rec.birds] wwinter feeding myths

ssb@lanl.gov (Susan S Bunker) (12/14/89)

To elaborate on feeding 'myths':
      Metal perches are considered a hazard because birds might
freeze to them.  Not so.  Birds have dry feet so don't stick to
metal as your moist finger might.  As for the related hazard
of a bird's eyeball sticking to metal parts, birds are no more
likely to touch things with their eyeballs than you are.
     Interrupted feeding.  If you cut down your offerings before
you leave, the birds will be encouraged to find other sources.
Given the enthusiasm for bird feeding these days that shouldn't
be difficult.  If nothing else, there are the natural sources
birds have always used, at least around here.  Best, of course,
is to introduce a friendly neighbor to the pleasures of birds
and winter feeding and ask him/her to fill your feeders for you.
     The author points out that if you find dead birds at your
feeder you probably aren't at fault.  More likely your easy
food supply is being used as a last resort by ill or weak birds.
     All according to the book, paraphrased.  It's a useful one -
The Backyard Bird Watcher by Harrison.

                                           Sue

grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) (12/15/89)

In article <38823@lanl.gov> ssb@lanl.gov (Susan S Bunker) writes:

Shouldn't your name be Susan D Bunker? :-)

>To elaborate on feeding 'myths':
>      Metal perches are considered a hazard because birds might
>freeze to them.  Not so.  Birds have dry feet so don't stick to
>metal as your moist finger might.  As for the related hazard
>of a bird's eyeball sticking to metal parts, birds are no more
>likely to touch things with their eyeballs than you are.

It seems to me though that this ignores the fact that their feet may
be wet from snow or other moisture.

>     Interrupted feeding.  If you cut down your offerings before
>you leave, the birds will be encouraged to find other sources.
>Given the enthusiasm for bird feeding these days that shouldn't
>be difficult.  If nothing else, there are the natural sources
>birds have always used, at least around here.  Best, of course,
>is to introduce a friendly neighbor to the pleasures of birds
>and winter feeding and ask him/her to fill your feeders for you.

If you have neighbors that feed, that's fine, but I wouldn't rely
on natural sources for food.  The fact that you have a feeder up would
tend to encourage artificially high population concentrations that could
not be sustained by what natural sources may be around.

>     The author points out that if you find dead birds at your
>feeder you probably aren't at fault.  More likely your easy
>food supply is being used as a last resort by ill or weak birds.
>     All according to the book, paraphrased.  It's a useful one -
>The Backyard Bird Watcher by Harrison.
>
>                                           Sue

I (as well as many others) enjoy feeding, so don't misinterpret these
comments as flames.  All they are is conversation.

Happy Birding
-Greg

Greg Pasquariello	(916) 920-9092		grp@unify.UUCP
Unify Corporation				...!{csusac, pyramid}!unify!grp