[rec.birds] INDOOR Biting Conure

steveg@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Steve Grant) (12/07/89)

I am looking for some advice on how to deal with my pet Conure who has
decided to start biting. He (or she?) is about 6 mo. old and was a hand
fed baby. Until recently he has been the perfect bird. Never bit me
hard, likes to snuggle up to me, and is very friendly. We spend a lot of
time together and I have tried to be consistent in my training. But now
he has started biting me occasionally. These are not nibbles that I am
worried about, he bites HARD! Usually he does it when he wants something
(like my food or the cards in my hand), but at other times I see no reason
at all for his actions. I usually react with an abrupt movement (it hurts),
followed by "NO! Bad bird .....", then off to a cage in the back room.
   So far I can see no positive results from my scolding. If anything, I
think I am making him less trusting of me. What should I do? I have tried
to find info in books but they seem to skip the issue. I want to maintain
the friendship that I have with him but I can't keep letting him hurt me
like this.
  Also, can anyone recommend a GOOD book on keeping indoor birds? I have
looked but am not satisfied with what I have found.

From article <4950001@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM>, by steveg@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Steve Grant):
$ I am looking for some advice on how to deal with my pet Conure who has
$ decided to start biting. He (or she?) is about 6 mo. old and was a hand
$ fed baby. Until recently he has been the perfect bird. Never bit me
$ hard, likes to snuggle up to me, and is very friendly. We spend a lot of
$ time together and I have tried to be consistent in my training. But now
$ he has started biting me occasionally. These are not nibbles that I am
$ worried about, he bites HARD! Usually he does it when he wants something
$ (like my food or the cards in my hand), but at other times I see no reason
$ at all for his actions. I usually react with an abrupt movement (it hurts),
$ followed by "NO! Bad bird .....", then off to a cage in the back room.

It may be hard to do, but take the pain and don't show him that he has
been able to hurt you. From my experiences and from what I've heard from
others, a bird will eventually stop biting you if he thinks it doesn't
hurt you. If he is biting often, you want to consider picking up a pair
of gloves.

j				|%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
				|%|UUCP: uunet!frith!dale1!jhl	   	Work
				|%|      uunet!frith!ipecac!jhl 	Home
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (12/08/89)

If the bird bites you when he's on your hand, bringing your hand down
in a stunted karate chop motion (with the bird still on it) will teach
him that his biting causes an earthquake where he is quite unsafe.
Sounds silly, but it's a proven training technique.

Also, pretending (or maybe not pretending if he bites hard enough) to
whimper and show that he hurt you while putting him back in his cage and
covering it for 10 minutes can sometimes help.  Just be sure there is no
interaction at all between you and the bird for the full 10 minutes.
(but no more because the bird will just fall asleep)

Bird Book - Home Health and Care (or something like that) by a vet
from San Diego.  Green cover with a picture of a small parrot
surrounded by fruit.  Great book!

Mikki Barry

susans@cfi.COM (susans) (12/08/89)

In article <4950001@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM> steveg@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Steve Grant) writes:
>I am looking for some advice on how to deal with my pet Conure who has
>decided to start biting. He (or she?) is about 6 mo. old and was a hand
>fed baby.

	There's a letter in December "Bird Talk" describing this
	sort of thing.  The editors claim that this is the age
	when handfeds start to nibble.  I imagine he's just checking
	you out.
>I usually react with an abrupt movement (it hurts),
>followed by "NO! Bad bird .....", then off to a cage in the back room.

	I read that if you ALWAYS react to a bite in the same way,
	you are inadvertantly training the bird to bite you to achieve
	a result.  For example, your conure gets tired of you and
	wants his cage, so he bites you, knowing you'll put him away.

	I am troubled by a biting cockatiel (3 years old) and he
	has me at my wit's end, so please send me a summary of
	advice!

>  Also, can anyone recommend a GOOD book on keeping indoor birds? I have
>looked but am not satisfied with what I have found.

	I've enjoyed "The Pet Bird Handbook" by Patricia Sutherland.
	I ordered it through "American Cage Bird" magazine.

	I also enjoy "Bird Talk" magazine.  It isn't as technical as
	ACB mag. and has more advice I can relate to.

--
                        Susan S. (susans@cfi.com)

                        Another Friend of Bill's

heneghan@cbnewse.ATT.COM (joseph.t.heneghan) (12/09/89)

My 4 month old Nanday tries that occasionally. I think it's the "what
can I get away with" attitude so prevelant in our society. So I tell
my children to do what I do. Yell at him "NO!!!!!!" and push his head
away briskly. This seems to do it. I suspect he forgets. My kids
spend a moderate amount of time with him, but he has bonded to me pretty
much. They're comfortable enough to let him taste their hands, which
to the casual observer, looks like a bite. If they get too wild with him
he just flies back up to the top of his cage and sits, probably thinking
"those little people are nuts, I wish they'd be like the big people"
					Joe Heneghan

mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) (12/09/89)

In article <4950001@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM>, steveg@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Steve Grant) writes:
> I am looking for some advice on how to deal with my pet Conure who has
> decided to start biting. He (or she?) is about 6 mo. old and was a hand
> fed baby. Until recently he has been the perfect bird. Never bit me
> hard, likes to snuggle up to me, and is very friendly. We spend a lot of
> time together and I have tried to be consistent in my training. But now
> he has started biting me occasionally.

    Your bird is in little-bird-puberty.  It's going through it's sexual
    maturity and you have to deal with it.  It's difficult to reprimand
    parrots since they are often enticed by moving objects so tapping
    the bird on the beak is often followed by MORE biting.  Putting the
    bird in the cage is a good reaction but only if the bird prefers to
    be out.  Hand fed babies often love their cage so it may not help
    as a form of punishment.  Sometimes, if I can get it, I grab the
    birds beak with my thumb and index finger tight enough so he
    can't pull it out and say "NO!" quickly and firmly.  This often
    leads to me grabbing the beak and the birds yells "NO!" and
    then bites me.  You can't win.  It often passes after they get
    over the sexual changes, sometimes it doesn't.  Conures are nippers
    anyway so it's often tough to break a habit that isn't really a habit
    in the first place.  You could also try raising your hand QUICKLY behind
    the bird when it goes to bite you.

>   Also, can anyone recommend a GOOD book on keeping indoor birds? I have
> looked but am not satisfied with what I have found.

    Dr. Decateau (sp?) nearby me is an excellent source for
    training video's and books.  I'll post the address when
    I find it myself (he usually advertises in the birdy rags
    like Bird Talk [where you can read about yet another bird-that
    saved-Chicago]).

--

In article <5701@cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
> From article <4950001@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM>, by steveg@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Steve Grant):
> been able to hurt you. From my experiences and from what I've heard from
> others, a bird will eventually stop biting you if he thinks it doesn't
> hurt you. If he is biting often, you want to consider picking up a pair
> of gloves.

    Sorry, I disagree.

    The bird must learn to NOT bite hands and gloves don't help
    foster this training.  (By the way, conures bite HARD).
--

mary@dinorah.wustl.edu (Mary E. Leibach) (12/09/89)

steveg@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Steve Grant) writes:

>I am looking for some advice on how to deal with my pet Conure who has
>decided to start biting. He (or she?) is about 6 mo. old and was a hand
>fed baby. Until recently he has been the perfect bird. Never bit me
>hard, likes to snuggle up to me, and is very friendly. We spend a lot of
>time together and I have tried to be consistent in my training. But now
>he has started biting me occasionally. These are not nibbles that I am
>worried about, he bites HARD!

Vila, my 11 mo. old Conure has the same problem.  Any part of me
within reach gets "clamped".  Saying no and cage discipline do not
work.  Vila is, I believe, a male who thinks I am his mate.  If
someone has been through this, please post the answer.  Any help on
how (besides covering Blakey's cage) I can get him to stop attempting
to attack my parakeet Blakey.  Mind you, Blakey is in his cage at the
time.  Vila tries to bite through the bars.

>  Also, can anyone recommend a GOOD book on keeping indoor birds? I have
>looked but am not satisfied with what I have found.

The best resource I have found on indoor birds is Bird Talk magazine.
They cover all kinds of birds and all kinds of problems, with color
pics and ads and cartoons.  They have vets who write some of the
articles, and a "Living with Birds" column that is the absolutely
hilarious antics of an African Gray, an Amazon, and a Macaw.  Lots of
info and lots of fun.  Plus, what book has pull out cards for your
birds to chew?

	-Mary

In article <1612@intercon.com>, ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:
> If the bird bites you when he's on your hand, bringing your hand down
> in a stunted karate chop motion (with the bird still on it) will teach
> him that his biting causes an earthquake where he is quite unsafe.
> Sounds silly, but it's a proven training technique.

     It doesn't sound silly but it does sound particular (in that
     it may not work with all birds).  Although I know some people
     reccomend this method, it isn't very good if the bird is
     unclipped (and many conures are not AND they are almost as
     adept at flying clipped as cockatiels) since the bird might
     take flight and head for a window in a startled state.

     The type of bird must be taken into account here.  Conures
     are "nippers" and this one is at "that age".  Some of it is
     beyond the birds control.  Sometimes you can tell when the bird
     is in a biting mood and not touch it.  It will learn that you
     will only play with it when it doesn't nip.  --

bjb@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM (Barbara Bowen) (12/11/89)

Try a squirt gun or squirt bottle, accompanied by the word, "NO!!!"  Don't
squirt the bird in the nostrils, aim for the chest.  Also, you absolutely
MUST reward the bird when it does NOT bite.  (Most people forget to do this.)
I also agree that using gloves won't work.  Try using a towel to grab the
bird instead.  Once they realize you won't flinch when they bite, they
do give up.  You bleed, you heal, it works.  I always remind mine to be
nice.  I warn them in advance, and it seems to work.
    which can be dangerous to birds.

--

mary@dinorah.wustl.edu (Mary E. Leibach) (12/14/89)

bjb@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM (Barbara Bowen) writes:

>Try a squirt gun or squirt bottle, accompanied by the word, "NO!!!"  Don't
>squirt the bird in the nostrils, aim for the chest.  Also, you absolutely
>MUST reward the bird when it does NOT bite.  (Most people forget to do this.)

Some good ideas.  However, I would add two caveats.  First, be careful
of drafts and cool temperatures.  I believe the goal is to deter the
bird, not give it a chill.  Second, if other conures have half the
water fetish Vila has, such treatment will only train the bird to bite
to get a bath!  Even Cally loves a good spray shower.  You are right
though, positive reinforcement of proper behaviour goes a long way.

	-Mary

Have you bathed your bird today?

mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) (12/15/89)

In article <631@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM>, bjb@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM (Barbara Bowen) writes:
> Try a squirt gun or squirt bottle, accompanied by the word, "NO!!!"

    Although this is very effective on cats, I don't think you'd
    want to use a stream of water on a parrot.  Parrots love baths
    and if you use water to scare them, they might not like to bath any
    longer and their plumage will suffer.  Also, although you did
    mention NOT to get the water near the cere, you can't guarantee
    if won't happen and you could give the bird a nasty sinus
    infection.