[rec.birds] INDOOR: biting conure

nora@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nora.y.mclaughlin) (12/19/89)

I have a 3 year old Blue Front Amazon which we got when he was
about 3 months.  He had a real problem with biting also and what
we did to break him was to blow sharply on him when he bites.
This stops him right away.  The reason I disagree with the water
method is because I think it makes them more agressive, it kind
of gets them mad.  When you blow on them, they are surprised because
they don't know where it came from.  With water, they can see the
squirter coming from your hand.  Anyway, it takes patience and
persistance on your part.  I may take 6 months to 1 year to break.
I also found that being gentle with your bird makes them gentle
in return.  If you start shaking them when they bite, their natural
instinct is to hold on using their beak.  One final comment and
this may be a hard one to swallow but..... when they bite you
give them no satisfaction with a reaction.  Act like it doesn't
hurt, because what they want to do is see some result of a bite.
This by far really tests you as

.  But I seriously think you will
get results if you try these suggestions.  I know, I had bloody
hands every day!
Good Luck
Nora

heneghan@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (joseph.t.heneghan) (12/19/89)

In article <3343@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> nora@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nora.y.mclaughlin) writes:
>I have a 3 year old Blue Front Amazon which we got when he was
>about 3 months.  He had a real problem with biting also and what
>we did to break him was to blow sharply on him when he bites.
>This stops him right away.>I also found that being gentle with your
>bird makes them gentle in return.
My Nanday disagrees with you. He does like gentle treatment, but he
will every now and then clamp down. He had my daughter in tears, she
has since learned to discipline him when he bites and they get along
great about 90% of the time.
>this may be a hard one to swallow but..... when they bite you
>give them no satisfaction with a reaction.  Act like it doesn't
>hurt, because what they want to do is see some result of a bite.
...and if a child has a hissy fit when s(he) can't have candy in
your grocer's check out line, ignore that behaviour, and every thing
will be fine... I think that you have to train animals. They have to
be conditioned with positive and negative reinforcement ~= psych 100.
When they're good, praise them. When they're bad, smack them.
and play with them
and love them
and give them a balanced diet
and keep their cage clean!
Good luck,
Joe Heneghan
>Good Luck
>Nora

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (12/20/89)

In this month's issue of Bird World, there is an article by Chris Davis,
a highly qualified and respected bird behaviorist, dealing with training
pet birds.  Her method of choice seems to be bringing the hand with
the bird on it down sharply to knock the bird off balance.  They seem to
hate this.  Another method she uses is immediately after the bird displays
an unacceptable behavior, return it to its cage and cover it for exactly
ten minutes, during which time you do not talk to the bird and have
no other contact with it.

She does not address the "water method" although I have used it and it
has been highly successful for me.  None of the birds I have sprayed have
then disliked bathing.  The key is to set the squirt bottle on stream when
it is a punishment, and spray when you are misting the bird for a bath.
However, she does specifically address physical punishment and condemns it
in all circumstances.  Mostly because a bird is not an animal like a dog
or cat and does not understand being struck.  It will teach him only fear,
not specific corrective behavior.  The combination of taking the bird off
balance when on your hand, and spraying when the bird is doing something
wrong when he isn't on your hand has helped me tame many wild caught imports
and helped me discipline many naughty little domestics who are going through
the "terrible twos".

You may find that many domestic babies go through a testing phase, much like
a human child.  They will keep pushing until they get a response from you.
It is a means of the bird trying to determine its boundaries of acceptable
behavior.  The key to overcoming this seemingly awful period is being totally
predictable and non-arbitrary in your praises and punishments.  EVERY time
the bird displays unacceptable behavior (i.e. biting, chewing on electrical
cords, eating your shoes, etc.) you have to react in a similar manner.
The bird has to know that this behavior is never acceptable.  If you choose
to put the bird back in his cage.  Make sure he is inside and covered for
the full 10 minute period.  More and he will fall asleep, negating the
"lesson".  Less and he won't feel deprived of anything and the punishment
won't work.  And don't let his screaming and yelling make you feel guilty
enough to take him out.

From what I hear, Nandays are among the most stubborn of birds.  It may
take lots of time, but don't give up.

Mikki Barry

nora@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nora.y.mclaughlin) (12/20/89)

I just can't understand why all responses to peoples suggestions
always results in somekind of sarcastic reply.  I know what tamed
my bird and that was gentleness, and my bird is not afraid of my
hand because it had a weapon in it.  And furthermore, as my
keyword line states, "aggression breeds aggression" just read
this net and you can see that.  Proof is in the pudding!  OK
so strike your match.

heneghan@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (joseph.t.heneghan) (12/20/89)

In article <3358@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> nora@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nora.y.mclaughlin) writes:
>I just can't understand why all responses to peoples suggestions
>always results in somekind of sarcastic reply.  I know what tamed
>my bird and that was gentleness, and my bird is not afraid of my
>hand because it had a weapon in it.  And furthermore, as my
>keyword line states, "aggression breeds aggression" just read
>this net and you can see that.  Proof is in the pudding!  OK
>so strike your match.
I suspect that you were responding to my response. I was not trying
to be sarcastic. I just feel that negative reinforcement for bad
behaviour is appropriate for both birds and people. What's wrong with
aggressive behaviour?...it's still communicative. You can allways
read the title of an article and then not read the article because you
really don't care about the subject matter.

Anyway, I try to be gentle with my bird. If he bites, he gets bopped,
not hard, but enough to let him know that his behaviour was unacceptable.
He has done just fine in this environment. In fact he's learning to
talk (from what I've read, wouldn't happen if the bird was unhappy). We're
working on "hello". He'll only say it when prompted, but he's getting
clearer all the time. This is really exciting for me. I've never taught
a bird to talk. I've only taught children (sometimes I wish I had not).
				Merry Christmas,
				Joe heneghan

nora@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nora.y.mclaughlin) (12/21/89)

In article <12287@cbnewsd.ATT.COM>, heneghan@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (joseph.t.heneghan) writes:
> In article <3358@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> nora@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nora.y.mclaughlin) writes:
> I suspect that you were responding to my response. I was not trying
> to be sarcastic. I just feel that negative reinforcement for bad
> behaviour is appropriate for both birds and people. What's wrong with
> aggressive behaviour?...it's still communicative. You can allways
> read the title of an article and then not read the article because you
> really don't care about the subject matter.
>
> Anyway, I try to be gentle with my bird. If he bites, he gets bopped,
> not hard, but enough to let him know that his behaviour was unacceptable.
> He has done just fine in this environment. In fact he's learning to
> talk (from what I've read, wouldn't happen if the bird was unhappy). We're
> working on "hello". He'll only say it when prompted, but he's getting
> clearer all the time. This is really exciting for me. I've never taught
> a bird to talk. I've only taught children (sometimes I wish I had not).
> 				Merry Christmas,
> 				Joe heneghan

Joe, I used to get into hitting my bird, and my dog, and what I found
out was when I began using hand signals with my dog, sometimes, she
would mistake it for me going to hit her.  I just firmly believe that
you don't want your animal afraid of your hand no matter what.  There
are other ways to discipline.  F of correcting a
bird or dog, (I realize I am talking to you about a bird), and in the
case of the bird, also, dropping your hand quickly as I read on an
earlier post, is very effective.  I guess I jumped around alot in this
paragraph, but just want to emphasize that you don't want your animal
no matter what it is to be afraid of your hanHave you ever noticed
put your
hand to your bird and see it kind of just open its beak like he is
going to bite you?  Well maybe not , but if you do, that is the bird
going into self defense mode, waiting for the smack.
This I my opinion and my experience.
Nora