[rec.birds] Birding magazine question

OTTEN@UMCINCOM.BITNET (01/04/90)

My wife has recently become quite interested in bird watching
and has requested a couple of birding magazines for her birthday.
She noticed a recommendation in a Peterson Field Guide for
"American Birds" and "Birding", but it was an old edition so even if
those were the best then, they might not be anymore.  I was wondering
if anyone had suggestions what would be the best magazines to
subscribe to.

Thank you very much for any possible help,

Neil Ottenstein
Internet: otten@cincom.umd.edu
Bitnet: otten@umcincom

grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) (01/04/90)

In article <9001031916.AA06453@jade.berkeley.edu> OTTEN@UMCINCOM.BITNET writes:
>My wife has recently become quite interested in bird watching
>and has requested a couple of birding magazines for her birthday.
>She noticed a recommendation in a Peterson Field Guide for
>"American Birds" and "Birding", but it was an old edition so even if
>those were the best then, they might not be anymore.  I was wondering
>if anyone had suggestions what would be the best magazines to
>subscribe to.
>Neil Ottenstein

American Birds is the quarterly collection of national bird reports by
location.  As such, it is a bit terse, although there are often a couple
of good articles about identification.  I find it a bit hard to read, but
it is good if you want to see what sorts of unusual birds were in an area
6 months ago.  One of my complaints about AB is that it tends to concentrate
on the *unusual* birds from an area;  it is hard to read it and gauge what
birds are common in an area.  I subscribe to it anyway.

Birding is a publication irregularly put out by the American Birding
Association.  They have gone thru some tough times lately, but seem to be
getting on the ball.  The magazine is usually well done, and usually contains
well written articles on identification, distribution, birding lore, etc.
These articles lean a bit heavy on the technical side; i.e. it is surely a
Wispy-tailed flycatcher if the retrices are blunt.  There are however, often
good articles of a general nature, and I get the impression that the magazine
will be providing more of these in the future.

Birdwatcher's Digest is clearly a magazine that promotes "bird-watching"
rather than "birding".  If you are watching birds at your feeder or in your
yard, you are bird-watching;  if you are standing at Sandy Hook in the dead
of winter looking for a straggler from Siberia, you are birding :-).  The
magazine offers well written articles on a wide variety of subjects of
interest to anyone who is interested in birds, but does not generally delve
into the more esoteric aspects of the hobby.

Wild Bird is similar to BWD, but is in a larger format with more glossy color
pictures.  IMO the articles are not as good as those in BWD, but I haven't
seen it in a year or so.
Greg Pasquariello	(916) 920-9092		grp@unify.UUCP
Unify Corporation				...!{csusac, pyramid}!unify!grp

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (01/04/90)

I agree with Greg Pasquariello's excellent thumbnail sketch
of the bird magazines.  He didn't mention that ABA members
also get _Winging_It_, a short monthly newsletter that has
the latest hot sightings along with site updates, news
items, classified ads, and other timely information.

I liked Greg's example of the difference between
birdwatching and birding.  Just one question, Greg: if I
spend two years looking all over New Mexico for Common
Ground-Dove and then get my state bird on my backyard bird
feeder, is that birding or birdwatching?

Here are some rates and addresses; sorry, I don't have any
issues of _BWD_ or _Wild_Bird_ handy.

_American_Birds_: $27.50 to _American_Birds_, 950 Third Ave.,
New York, NY 10022.  Includes the Christmas Bird Count issue.

_Birding_, _Winging_It_: ABA members get both magazines.
Join the ABA by sending $24 (individual) or $30 (family) to
_Birding_, POB 6599, Colorado Springs, CO 80934.  You can
get subscriptions to _Birding_ and _Winging_It_ without
joining the ABA for $28.  ABA members get a discount on bird
books, optics and other supplies from ABA Sales; they can be
reached at 1-800-634-7736, and they stock most any bird book
in print.

Disclaimer: I subscribe to _American_Birds_ and I'm a Life
Member of the ABA, but I have no financial interest or other
connection with either organization.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
USENET: ucbvax!unmvax!nmtsun!john  CSNET: john@nmtsun.nmt.edu

grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) (01/05/90)

In article <3712@nmtsun.nmt.edu> john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:
>I agree with Greg Pasquariello's excellent thumbnail sketch
>of the bird magazines.

Aw, shucks (he swings his foot at the ground)

>I liked Greg's example of the difference between
>birdwatching and birding.  Just one question, Greg: if I
>spend two years looking all over New Mexico for Common
>Ground-Dove and then get my state bird on my backyard bird
>feeder, is that birding or birdwatching?

It depends on whether you saw it while getting your morning coffee, or
heard about it on a Rare Bird Alert! :-)

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (01/05/90)

In article <j9x9udx@unify.uucp>, grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) writes:

> American Birds
>
> Birding
>
> Birdwatcher's Digest
>
> Wild Bird

	Birder's World is yet another magazine devoted to the hobby,
along the same lines as BWD and WB. They probably have the best
photographs, using painstaking reproduction on high-quality paper.
The articles are general in nature, much like the two magazines mentioned
above. Some regular feature examples are: a general natural history
article on a selected North American species (the latest issue is
dedicated to the Black-Crowned Night Heron), birding hot spots (the
latest issue highlights Bosque Del Apache NWR - John Shipman's favored
hangout), photo gallery (reader submitted), attracting birds (tips on
backyard feeders and food), and rare bird report (3 months out of date).

	I subscribe to all the above magazines and, of the three
general-purpose magazines (Birdwatcher's Digest, Wildbird, and Birder's
World), I like Birder's World the best.

Mike

	Birder's World
	Subscription Dept.
	P.O. Box 1347
	Elmhurst, Il. 60126-8347
	(312) 279 0935
	$25 /year (add $3 for outside the U.S. (U.S. currency only))