[rec.birds] hummingbird rehabilitation/keeping cat away from aviary

GC.SUL@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sullivan) (12/20/89)

Thought this might be of interest to those of you with outdoor
aviaries and/or cat problems.  Last spring I got an aviary from a
local Wildlife Rescue group that rehabilitates hummingbirds.  I grow
over 300 different plants that have nectar accessable for
hummingbirds; have the whole 1/4 acre planted for them, and am in a
good spot to release them.  I don't do the actual rehabilitation-it
takes very specialized care and constant feeding-of babies and
injured adults.  What I do is take the birds that are strong enough
to feed freely, but perhaps not ready to be released, and keep them
in the aviary several weeks.  I put about 5 different flowering
plants in every few days along with the feeding solution (changed
twice a day)  This way, the birds learn how to enter different types
of flowers in the safety of the aviary.  Then, I open the door and
out they go.

When we first set the aviary out, my cat was fascinated, and
crouched outside the aviary.  I was afraid she might knock it over,
or snag a sleeping bird if it was too close to the mesh.  I wanted a
way to convince her to STAY AWAY from the aviary at all times.
Yelling at her or throwing gravel had little affect.  I finally
found a solution that REALLY worked.  Every time she was within 5
feet of the aviary I yelled "get out of there: and lobbed a water
balloon right at her.  I only had to do it 3 times-and never saw her
anywhere near the aviary again!  Since there has been discussion of
how to keep cats away from feeders, etc, I thought it might be a
good idea to share this-it worked, and did not injure the cat. (only
her dignity)

K. Sullivan
Hummingbird Gardens Nursery

denise@dadla.WR.TEK.COM (Denise Caire) (01/06/90)

In article <6599@lindy.Stanford.EDU> GC.SUL@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sullivan) writes:

>I finally
>found a solution that REALLY worked.  Every time she was within 5
>feet of the aviary I yelled "get out of there: and lobbed a water
>balloon right at her.  I only had to do it 3 times-and never saw her
>anywhere near the aviary again!  Since there has been discussion of
>how to keep cats away from feeders, etc, I thought it might be a
>good idea to share this-it worked, and did not injure the cat. (only
>her dignity)
>
>K. Sullivan
>Hummingbird Gardens Nursery

Spraying a cat with water is an excellant way to change its behavior!
The only problem is being around often enough when the unexceptable
behavior is being displayed.  I heard a story from a friend who's Mom
effectively trained a neighbor cat bothering the birds at the feeder
by patiently waiting every morning and then whacking it with a broom.
(My friend also stated that her Mom would normally never hurt anything
but the cat needed to learn to stay out of her yard.)

I have an idea for a device that when placed in proximity of a bird
feeder could detect and spray a cat with water.  It wouldn't take long
for any cat to learn to stay away from a feeder that sprays it!

Is there a mechanical engineer out there with whom I can collaborate
with to develop such an item?  From the amount of controversy on the
net lately (my oponions included), I bet such a mechanism could be
sold commercially.

Denise Caire
denise@dadla.WR.TEK.COM

P.S.
Do humming birds migrate?  If they do, where to?

sandra@pyrtech (Sandra Macika) (01/10/90)

In article <1267@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> denise@dadla.WR.TEK.COM (Denise Caire) writes:

>Do humming birds migrate?  If they do, where to?
>
>Denise Caire

They sure do. I know that they migrate all up and down the Western Coast of
North and South America. I am sure other ares too.

Sandra

dmark@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (01/10/90)

In article <97783@pyramid.pyramid.com> sandra@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Sandra Macika) writes:
>In article <1267@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> denise@dadla.WR.TEK.COM (Denise Caire) writes:
>>
>>Do humming birds migrate?  If they do, where to?
>>
>>Denise Caire
>
>They sure do. I know that they migrate all up and down the Western Coast of
>North and South America. I am sure other ares too.
>
>Sandra

Well, actually, *most* US hummingbirds migrate out of the US, to winter in
Mexico or even further south.  We (US and Canada) have two non-migratory
breeding species: Anna's Hummingbird, very common in much of Cailfornia,
wintering regularly at least as far north as Vancouver, Canada (where in winter
they are feeder-dependent); and Buff-bellied Hummingbird, resident in the Lower
Rio Grande Valley of Texas, and south into Mexico.

Most of the hummingbirds live in the American tropics, and are non-migratory,
but often with seasonal altitudinal movements.  I would expect a few
migratory ones in temperate southern South America.

David Mark

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (01/10/90)

In article <1267@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM>, denise@dadla.WR.TEK.COM (Denise Caire) writes:

> P.S.
> Do humming birds migrate?  If they do, where to?

	Most species of North American hummingbirds do migrate. They
tend to winter in Mexico and Central/South America. Many of the Texas
and Arizona specialties live year-round in Mexico and points south,
but extend their breeding range into small limited areas of these two
states. These would include Lucifer, Broad-Billed, Violet-Crowned,
Blue-Throated, and Magnificent. Some are rare vagrants or breeders in
these two states; such as, Green Violet-Ear, Berylline, White-Eared,
and Plain-Capped Starthroat. Then there are a couple of West Indian
species that rarely make it into south Florida; Cuban Emerald and
Bahama Woodstar. I believe that the Buff-Bellied Hummingbird is a
year-round resident of the Rio Grande Valley.

	The Costa's Hummingbird, although migratory, has a range of
permanent residency that includes Baja and extreme northwestern
Mexico, southeast California, and southwest Arizona; such that this
bird can be found year-round in the U.S.

	The rest of the North American hummers are extremely migratory,
with the exception of one species; Anna's Hummingbird. This bird may
wander somewhat in winter in the southwest but, for all intents and
purposes, is nonmigratory. Its range extends along the entire west
coast of the U.S. as well as south into Baja and north into B.C. Its
original range was supposedly restricted to Baja and southern California,
but has gone through an explosive expansion in recent decades. It is
probably still expanding into Arizona.

	I recently read an interesting article about a Costa's hummer
that was visiting a feeder in Alaska this last fall. Not only was the
bird well out of range, but it was late in the season and the bird
was showing no inclination to migrate. The day before the first snow
fall of the season, the hummer was trapped and flown (free of charge)
to Washington state, where it was released into a meadow full of
flowers that was occupied by numerous hummers.

Mike