[net.unix-wizards] downloading to a pdp-11

obrien@RAND-UNIX@sri-unix (11/18/82)

Date: Sunday, 14 Nov 1982 10:48-PST
Yes, we have downline-loading software for our Arpanet
Front End software, and you can contact "nancy at Rand-Unix" for
info on how to get it (cost about $300 dist. fee, I think).
However, you should be aware that for cross-compiling, we just
put up a skeletal version of a PDP-11 file system under something
like "/usr/pdp11stuff", and use v7run (standard with 4.1, sources
under /usr/src/games/compat) to run the PDP-11 C compiler,
assembler, and loader in compat mode.  That stuff isn't
distributed on our tape (licensing, ya know), we just tell you
how to do it...and I've just told you.  It's ridiculously easy.

	Downline load stuff does have to be written oneself,
though, and we provide that.  Ask Nancy about the "Rand Front End
NCP Distribution".

greep@SU-DSN@sri-unix (11/18/82)

Date: Sunday, 14 Nov 1982 14:19-PST
Cross-compiling from what?  You neglected to say what kind of machine
you want to compile on.  The lsi-11 has the same instruction set as
the regular 11 so you can use the standard Unix pdp-11 compiler if
you have Unix on either an 11 or a Vax, since the latter includes
a pdp-11 compatibility mode, which 4.1bsd supports.  This is how
I compile my NCP, which runs on an lsi-11.  (I have loading software
if you are interested.)

jfw@mit-ccc@sri-unix (11/18/82)

Date: 14 Nov 1982 20:31:51-EST
We here have a PDP 11/10 which runs a graphics terminal system;  we have been
writing C programs on our 45, and compiling them and loading them on the 11/10.

The mechanism we use is quite simple:  we have a modified "cc" which loads the
standalone library and does #include's from a standalone include file directory.
To downline load the resulting binary, we use the console DL on the 11/10 and
a spare DL connected to the 11/45.  The 11/10 boot is about 38 words long,
with a similarly primitive program called "dload" on the 45.  The only clever
part of the whole arrangement is a program I wrote to translate optimized
C assembly output (containing MUL's, DIV's, ASHC's, and other Extended Instruction
Set features) into code the 11/10 with its poor little KE-11 can handle.

If you are interested in this primitive arrangement (which works quite well for
us), I will mail it to you.

John Woods
jfw@mit-ccc@mit-mc

roediger@ANL-MCS@sri-unix (11/22/82)

From: roediger at ANL-MCS (Gary &)
Date: 19 Nov 1982 09:13:38-PST
If you are downloading to a 11/23 there is code that must be written that is
not in the Rand FE NCP Distribution.  I wrote the code which uses the 11/23
ODT for a bootstrap.  Let me know if anyone wants it.
					Gary