[rec.birds] INDOOR: Small Birds/My baby cockatiel too

susans@cfi.COM (susans) (02/08/90)

In article <372.25d01647@desire.wright.edu> sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:

>I also would like to see a rec.birds.aviculture.  I have parakeets and
>canaries and would like to swap info with someone on canaries.  I had
>heard that they are fragile little birds and I have had serious problems
>with two birds that I bought from a breeder.  Any one out there have
>'small' indoor birds?

	Well, I agree that rec.pets.birds is easier to handle that
	..aviculture, but I really am not one to quibble over a name.

	I have a canary.  Canaries, like all caged birds, require careful
	treatment--avoidance of drafts, etc., but canaries are actually
	quite hardy compared to other small birds like budgies.  I have
	read in several canary books that once acclimated, canaries can
	handle temperatures down to freezing!

	My canary is a Yorkshire.  He's a lovely yellow guy with a brown
	mask, hence his name Bandit.  He is typical in that his favorite
	singing time is dusk.  His singing season is about October to
	June--a pretty long one.  His passion is his tiny bathtub (the
	tacky plastic kind with the little mirror on the bottom) and
	spinach.

	Once a week I try to get him to come out of his cage--about once
	a month he takes me up on the offer and flits from cage to to cage
	top visiting my budgies and cockatiels.

	Canaries require less space than some other small birds like
	budgies.  Perhaps the nature of the soft bill (cannot climb like
	a hookbill) is more adaptable to being caged, but he clearly is
	NOT feeling confined since he won't even come out of the cage when
	the door is open.

	On to my new bird, Murphy.  Murphy is a pet for my pet Flipper.
	Both of them are cockatiels.  Murphy, after one day home, was
	sitting on my shoulder and inspecting my glasses.  This is NOT
	a handfed bird either, so I'm impressed.  Sex is not determined
	yet as the bird is too young to tell, but I wanted a female to
	keep Flipper (who is 3) company, but I realize now I don't know
	what sex Flipper is (heavy pied, almost all pale yellow)!  So
	I guess it doesn't matter.

	Sue, tell more about your canaries.  My great aunt used to breed
	them.  Do you play a singing tape for yours?  I do.

	FYI, I can't send e-mail these days or I would have.  Sorry
	bird watchers!  Be patient.

--
                        Susan S. (susans@cfi.com)

                        Another Friend of Bill's