[rec.birds] Observing threatened/endangered species

rcb33483@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kehaar) (02/03/90)

Netbirders:

     Recently a friend of mine related a story about a group of birders in New
Mexico that chased a Black Rail, literally, down the gullet of a Great Egret.
This represents the unnatural death of a theatened species, and is a classic
case of birder irresponsibility.  I'm not usually a "soapbox" person, but
I feel compelled to show the "Endangered species Litany" in memory of the
rail and for the sake of all threatened birds:

     "Threatened and endangered species usually got that way because of human
      disturbance and/or interference.   It is a birder's responsibility, when
      observing these species, to take great care that they are not disturbed
      in any way that will endanger their survival or breeding success.  They
      are already in trouble because of irresponsible humans, let's not make
      their situations even worse."

Predators will be predators, but which is more important, getting that rarity
or ensuring that it will survive to see another day?

And I hope that rail gave that egret a hellish case of indigestion before
it was asphyxiated!

R. Cody Buchmann                             ^.^
   "Kehaar"

email: rcb33483@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu       "Now I fly for you..." - Watership Down

dmark@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (02/03/90)

In article <1990Feb2.172032.4608@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> rcb33483@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kehaar) writes:

>     Recently a friend of mine related a story about a group of birders in New
>Mexico that chased a Black Rail, literally, down the gullet of a Great Egret.

  I know this is off the main point of the posting but, what was a Black
  Rail doing in New Mexico in the first place?  The Sixth A.O.U. Check-List
  doesn't include New Mexico in its range, not does the old western
  Peterson guide.

  David Mark
  dmark@cs.buffalo.edu

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (02/09/90)

In article <1990Feb2.172032.4608@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, rcb33483@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kehaar) writes:

>      Recently a friend of mine related a story about a group of birders in New
> Mexico that chased a Black Rail, literally, down the gullet of a Great Egret.
> This represents the unnatural death of a theatened species, and is a classic
> case of birder irresponsibility.  I'm not usually a "soapbox" person, but
> I feel compelled to show the "Endangered species Litany" in memory of the
> rail and for the sake of all threatened birds:
>
>    "Threatened and endangered species usually got that way because of human
>     disturbance and/or interference.   It is a birder's responsibility, when
>     observing these species, to take great care that they are not disturbed
>     in any way that will endanger their survival or breeding success.  They
>     are already in trouble because of irresponsible humans, let's not make
>     their situations even worse."

	The law protecting endangered species also makes it illegal to
harrass (chase?) them. Had these birders been chasing an endangered
species, they would have been in violation of federal law (I'm not sure,
but I don't think that the Black Rail is actually listed). But the
point made is quite valid and, from a conservationist or naturalist
point of view,  should be applicable to species as a whole.

	Black Rail watching is a popular event out here at the south
end of San Francisco Bay and, for the most part, takes place without
a great deal of disturbance to the birds. This doesn't mean that they
aren't threatened by Great Egrets or that an occasional human mishap
doesn't occur. At the Palo Alto Baylands, a fairly good situation
exists for observing these rails. As the tide comes in, they are forced
to higher ground; which for the most part is the edge of the paved
entrance road that separates the marsh from the parking lot. They
take refuge in the taller vegetation along this road, while observers
stationed at strategic points can watch them (hopefully) from a
distance of about 5-10 feet.

	A couple of years back there was an incident (I wasn't there
for it) when some people spooked a Black Rail, which fled into the
parking lot and hid under a car. Fortunately, its choice of hiding
place kept it protected from Great Egrets and it eventually made it
back to the marsh. However, Black Rails get preyed upon by egrets
during high tide, whether people have a hand in it or not. Yet, the
presence of people can also help the rails. Certainly, egrets don't
approach the road edge where the rails are if there are a number of
people standing about. Also, the naturalist at the Baylands has a
habit of throwing things at the Great Egrets that come around the
"Black Rail corner" at high tide, to scare them off.

	The Baylands is also an excellent place to see the endangered
California Clapper Rail. One only has to walk out the boardwalk
during high tide about 2/3 of the way to the bay, to a spot where
about 5 or 6 Clappers gather within 10 yards of the boardwalk. They
sit right out in the open and provide excellent opportunities for
photography. Also, they are much too big for egrets to prey upon them.

Mike