[rec.birds] Isla Contoy

rising@utzoo.uucp (Jim Rising) (02/01/90)

I've been to Isla Contoy a couple of times in December, and
strongly recommend it.  The Island is essentially uninhabited,
and very pleasant.  As well there are lots of waterbirds:  frigatebirds
(which nest on the island surely; saw lots with inflated gular pouches),
brown boobies, double-crested and olivaceous cormorants, herons, egrets,
white ibis all abound and can be seen closely.  There is a shallow,
mangrove-lined lagoon that the boats take you through.  The tours stop
at the research station where they cook lunch.  You can hike around
the island.  I'd recommend trying to get to the south end of the island
where there is an area where the frigatebirds apparently breed.  I never
had much luck with land birds there, but who knows.  Could look for
Mangrove Vireo, Tropical Mockingbird, or Cinnamon Hummingbird there.
Also large iguanas are plentyful.
Wintering turnstones will probably hope to share your lunch with you.
If you have the wheels, and like to mix a little archaeology with
your birds, I also strongly recommend a trip to Coba.
Hope you have a nice trip!
--
Name:     Jim Rising
Mail:     Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada    M5S 1A1

gss@edsdrd.eds.com (Gary Schiltz) (02/06/90)

In article <1990Jan31.202928.17103@utzoo.uucp>, rising@utzoo.uucp (Jim Rising) writes:
> I've been to Isla Contoy a couple of times in December, and
> strongly recommend it.  [...]

[Details of strong recommendation deleted ...]

The place sounds wonderful!  However, one very important detail was
omitted:  Where is Isla Contoy?

---

     /\   What cheer,  /\       | Gary Schiltz, EDS R&D, 3551 Hamlin Road |
    / o<    cheer,    <o \      | Auburn Hills, MI  48057, (313) 370-1737 |
\\/ ) /     cheer,     \ ( \//  |          gss@edsdrd.eds.com             |
   \ /      cheer!!!    \ /     |       "Have bird will watch ..."        |

rising@utzoo.uucp (Jim Rising) (02/09/90)

It is pretty easy to get on a boat charter to Contoy either from
Cancun or Isla Mujeres.  We've always gone from Mujeres, and there
have never been more than 6 in the group--the place is not crowded.
Most tourists in the area have different interests.  I don't remember
the costs, but it isn't very expensive.  My wife reminds me that we
also say spoonbills there the first time.  Isla Mujeres, incidentally,
is also a nice spot, but not real good for birds (at least before
the hurricane).  I personally would avoid Cancun, but it is a con-
venient place to fly to.  Hope you can make it!