[rec.birds] Signs of spring

pratt@paul.rutgers.edu (Lorien Y. Pratt) (02/09/90)

Is it spring in New Jersey?  Today I heard a tufted titmouse in a duet
with a cardinal in full Song (not the usual winter peeps but the full-throated
spring symphony).  First time!
  --Lorien
L. Y. Pratt                            	   Computer Science Department
pratt@paul.rutgers.edu                     Rutgers University
                                           Hill Center
(201) 932-4634                             New Brunswick, NJ  08903, USA

bob@delphi.uchicago.edu (Robert S. Lewis, Jr.) (02/10/90)

In article <Feb.8.22.59.06.1990.27118@paul.rutgers.edu> pratt@paul.rutgers.edu (Lorien Y. Pratt) writes:
>Is it spring in New Jersey?  Today I heard a tufted titmouse in a duet
>with a cardinal in full Song (not the usual winter peeps but the full-throated
>spring symphony).  First time!

The cardinals here in Chicago are singing too, though not quite the
continuous full songs you will hear in a month or so.  Also I haven't
noticed too many of the variations occurring yet.  Only the loud
wheeet, wheeet, wheeet song, not the what-cheer, what-cheer,
what-cheer song.

Chicakadees have been doing the fee-bee song for a few weeks now.

The weather here has been uncannily mild since mid-December.  It was
60 yesterday:  typical temperatures in late January and early February
are in the teens.  It's pleasant, but disturbing:  is this global
warming or just a fluke?

rcb33483@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kehaar) (02/10/90)

In article <7550@tank.uchicago.edu> bob@delphi.UUCP (Robert S. Lewis, Jr.) writes:

>The cardinals here in Chicago are singing too, though not quite the
>continuous full songs you will hear in a month or so.  Also I haven't
>noticed too many of the variations occurring yet.  Only the loud
>wheeet, wheeet, wheeet song, not the what-cheer, what-cheer,
>what-cheer song.
>
>Chicakadees have been doing the fee-bee song for a few weeks now.

Down here, in Champaign-Urbana, the Cardinals are doing both song-types,
and are also "hanging out" more with one another.  Further, down here,
the Mourning Doves have been duetting with the Cardinals for weeks now.
One of the most convincing messages, though, is that the large Robin
Roosts are beginning to diffuse out--I saw the first campus Robin about
a week ago, and have seen two more since--and heard one in full song.

R. Cody Buchmann                             ^.^
   "Kehaar"

email: rcb33483@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu       "Now I fly for you..." - Watership Down