[rec.birds] INDOOR: Re: Parakeets and Canaries

noonan@cbnews.ATT.COM (D. J. Noonan) (02/21/90)

In article <396.25de4753@desire.wright.edu>, sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:
>little ones.  It should be interesting to see what colors we end up with in the
>babies since the female is blue with white and the male is turquoise with
>yellow.

My wife, who raises lots of budgies, going to try to predict what you
are going to get:

" I'm not entirely sure what the colours of your bird are, but
  if the male is a 'turquoise' bird with a yellow face and black wing markings
  is generally referred to by breeders as a 'yellow face sky (blue) cock'

  If the female has a white face, ocean blue body, and black wing markings,
  it is referred to as a 'Sky blue normal hen'

  When a Yellow face sky is mated with a Sky blue normal typically
  half the chicks will be yellow face sky and the other half will be
  sky blue normal.
  Since Yellow face is not sex-linked, chicks of either sex can be
  can have yellow faces.
  Two blue genes are needed to get blue.
  (Blue is is recessive to green, violet, and grey.)
  Therefore, it is likely that the chicks will be blue.

  If your parents look differently than I described
  (e.g.: white body patches on the female)
  then the results will be different.

  Please let me know what colour the chicks turn out to be.

Beth Anne Noonan

"
Dennis Noonan

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (02/21/90)

>In article <14186@cbnews.ATT.COM>, noonan@cbnews.ATT.COM (D. J. Noonan) writes:
> In article <396.25de4753@desire.wright.edu>, sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:
>>little ones.  It should be interesting to see what colors we end up with in the
>>babies since the female is blue with white and the male is turquoise with
>>yellow.
>
> My wife, who raises lots of budgies, going to try to predict what you
> are going to get:
>

> " I'm not entirely sure what the colours of your bird are, but
>   if the male is a 'turquoise' bird with a yellow face and black wing markings
>   is generally referred to by breeders as a 'yellow face sky (blue) cock'
>
>   If the female has a white face, ocean blue body, and black wing markings,
>   it is referred to as a 'Sky blue normal hen'
>
>   When a Yellow face sky is mated with a Sky blue normal typically
>   half the chicks will be yellow face sky and the other half will be
>   sky blue normal.
>   Since Yellow face is not sex-linked, chicks of either sex can be
>   can have yellow faces.
>   Two blue genes are needed to get blue.
>   (Blue is is recessive to green, violet, and grey.)
>   Therefore, it is likely that the chicks will be blue.
>
>   If your parents look differently than I described
>   (e.g.: white body patches on the female)
>   then the results will be different.
>
>   Please let me know what colour the chicks turn out to be.
>
> Beth Anne Noonan
>
> "
> Dennis Noonan
Thanks for the info.  Your color descriptions sound exactly like my pair.
There are no white patches on either bird.  I have another female that I would
like to breed if I can get my other male interested.  She is a very pale
rainbow color with muted colors of lavender and yellow.  A very pretty bird but
not too smart so I am sort of hesitant about breeding from her.  The male I
want to breed her to is yellow with green patches.  He has been a sole pet for
several years and I am afraid he is imprinted on people because I have their
cages next to each other and he spends all his time calling to everyone who
comes through the room.  He is very tame, rides on my shoulder and talks fairly
well.  Do I have any chance of breeding him?  Should I put him in her cage or
her in his?
The baby parakeets seem to be doing quite well.  The oldest one is about ten
days now and NOISY!