[rec.birds] A Home for an Owl

pmd@cbnews.ATT.COM (Paul Dubuc) (02/22/90)

A small grey owl has recently taken up residence in my yard.  It's a
North American Screech Owl.  I think it's quite wonderful for me, since
I live in a residential area of the city where owls are not a common
sight.  There's a problem, though.  It has apparently made its home
in a hollow spot in an old and dying silver maple tree.  The trees is by
the street and the city has marked it to be cut down.  I don't know how
long the city will take to get to the tree (could be several more months).

I would like the owl to stay if it's happy here (i.e., it has enough food
and all) but don't know what to do to help it, if anything.  I could call
the city and see if they will spare the tree until the owl moves out.  I
could let them cut down the tree and disrupt the owl's home.  Will, or can,
it find another easily?  Or, would it be possible to buy or build a suitable
house for it in another tree, and hope the owl will move into it?  I have
five other mature and healthy trees in my yard.

Any advice from those who know about owls would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
--
Paul Dubuc   |   The true light that enlightens every one
att!asr1!pmd |   was coming into the world ...

dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) (02/26/90)

In article <14233@cbnews.ATT.COM> pmd@cbnews.ATT.COM (Paul Dubuc) writes:

>A small grey owl has recently taken up residence in my yard.  It's a
>North American Screech Owl.  I think it's quite wonderful for me, since
>I live in a residential area of the city where owls are not a common
>sight.  There's a problem, though.  It has apparently made its home
>in a hollow spot in an old and dying silver maple tree.  The trees is by
>the street and the city has marked it to be cut down.  I don't know how
>long the city will take to get to the tree (could be several more months).
>
>I would like the owl to stay if it's happy here (i.e., it has enough food
>and all) but don't know what to do to help it, if anything.  I could call
>the city and see if they will spare the tree until the owl moves out.  I
>could let them cut down the tree and disrupt the owl's home.  Will, or can,
>it find another easily?  Or, would it be possible to buy or build a suitable
>house for it in another tree, and hope the owl will move into it?  I have
>five other mature and healthy trees in my yard.

I sent an e-mail reply to Mr. Dubuc, but I feel I should mention a few
things publicly as well.  First, a surprisingly little-known fact:
ALL RAPTORS ARE PROTECTED BY FEDERAL LAW!  This includes all hawks and
owls, whether officially "endangered" or not.  If Mr. Dubuc informs the
city that the owl is nesting in this dead tree, the city has a legal
obligation to relocate the owl prior to removing the tree, or refrain
from cutting the tree down entirely.

Should anyone else encounter a similar situation, the first thing to do
is contact the local Fish&Game/Conservation officer (Game Warden, if you
will).  That department usually handles such things.  If, as sometimes
unfortunately happens, this department does not seem to care, then the
local Audubon Society should be the next one to call.

If possible, the presence of the owl should not be broadcast to neighbors
or other town residents.  We have had situations where curious neighbors
have "just wanted to get a look at the owl", and gone climbing around in
the tree and poking their noses into the nesting hole.  Such a thing is
very trying for a little owl, and should be avoided!

--
Sam Conway                               *
dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu             *   Don't mention the war!

dmark@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (02/26/90)

In article <19702@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) writes:
>In article <14233@cbnews.ATT.COM> pmd@cbnews.ATT.COM (Paul Dubuc) writes:
>>
>>A small grey owl has recently taken up residence in my yard.  It's a
>>North American Screech Owl.  ... ...
>>   ... ...     the city has marked it to be cut down.
>>long the city will take to get to the tree (could be several more months).
>>

>                ... ...
>
>ALL RAPTORS ARE PROTECTED BY FEDERAL LAW!  This includes all hawks and
>owls, whether officially "endangered" or not.

  I hate to be a "wet blanket", but I believe that the federal law that
  protects non-endangered raptors, also protects cardinals, robins,
  chickadees, vireo-- basically ALL native birds except game-birds.

>                                               If Mr. Dubuc informs the
>city that the owl is nesting in this dead tree, the city has a legal
>obligation to relocate the owl prior to removing the tree, or refrain
>from cutting the tree down entirely.

  If my claim is true, then I doubt very much if a land-owner or a city or
  whatever has any obligation to 'relocate' the owl, even if it is nesting.
  If the law requires this, then the city or owner would have to 'relocate'
  every little native bird that roosts or nests in any tree that they cut or
  trim!

  Does anyone in net-land actually know whether owls have more legal protection
  that cardinals or catbirds, and whether the protection for native birds
  applies to their home trees?  Seems to me that if this is the case, then
  it could be used to ensure that no tree is ever cut again in this
  country!

  If, however, raptors have special protection compared to other native
  birds, then I will have to admit that I was wrong, again.

David M. Mark
dmark@cs.buffalo.edu

christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson) (02/26/90)

In article <18295@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> dmark@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) writes:
>In article <19702@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) writes:
>>In article <14233@cbnews.ATT.COM> pmd@cbnews.ATT.COM (Paul Dubuc) writes:
>>>
>>>A small grey owl has recently taken up residence in my yard.  It's a
>>>North American Screech Owl.  ... ...
>>>   ... ...     the city has marked it to be cut down.
>>>long the city will take to get to the tree (could be several more months).
>>
>>ALL RAPTORS ARE PROTECTED BY FEDERAL LAW!  This includes all hawks and
>>owls, whether officially "endangered" or not.
>
>  I hate to be a "wet blanket", but I believe that the federal law that
>  protects non-endangered raptors, also protects cardinals, robins,
>  chickadees, vireo-- basically ALL native birds except game-birds.

No, the Bald Eagle Act (which protects all raptors) is different from the
Migratory Bird Treaty.  And it doesn't have the punch it once did, thanks to
Pres. RR.  Witness the debacle with the Spotted Owl in N. Cal., Oregon, etc.

Chris

--

sandra@pyrtech (Sandra Macika) (02/27/90)

In article <18295@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> dmark@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) writes:
>In article <19702@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) writes:
>>In article <14233@cbnews.ATT.COM> pmd@cbnews.ATT.COM (Paul Dubuc) writes:
>>>
>>>A small grey owl has recently taken up residence in my yard.  It's a
>>>North American Screech Owl.  ... ...
>>>   ... ...     the city has marked it to be cut down.
>>>long the city will take to get to the tree (could be several more months).
>>
>>ALL RAPTORS ARE PROTECTED BY FEDERAL LAW!  This includes all hawks and
>>owls, whether officially "endangered" or not.
>
>  I hate to be a "wet blanket", but I believe that the federal law that
>  protects non-endangered raptors, also protects cardinals, robins,
>  chickadees, vireo-- basically ALL native birds except game-birds.
>  If my claim is true, then I doubt very much if a land-owner or a city or
>  whatever has any obligation to 'relocate' the owl, even if it is nesting.
>  If the law requires this, then the city or owner would have to 'relocate'
>  every little native bird that roosts or nests in any tree that they cut or
>  trim!
>
>David M. Mark
>dmark@cs.buffalo.edu

I hope the original poster lets us know how it turned out!

thanks,
Sandra

grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) (02/28/90)

In article <14233@cbnews.ATT.COM> pmd@cbnews.ATT.COM (Paul Dubuc) writes:

>A small grey owl has recently taken up residence in my yard.  It's a
>North American Screech Owl.  I think it's quite wonderful for me, since
>I live in a residential area of the city where owls are not a common
>sight.  There's a problem, though.  It has apparently made its home
>in a hollow spot in an old and dying silver maple tree.  The trees is by
>the street and the city has marked it to be cut down.  I don't know how
>long the city will take to get to the tree (could be several more months).

[ text deleted ]

Try and keep the city away for a while.  This is the beginning of nesting
season, and it won't be long before the owl has a brood.  It may well have
a clutch of eggs already, although it's early.

Owls often use crevices and holes as roosts as well as nest sites, so it
may not be a nest.  But with spring approaching, why take the chance?

BTW: Screech owls are probably much more common in your area than you
think, even if you live in a city.  In residential and suburban areas,
they are typically one of the most common raptors, although you would
never guess it.  I had many screech owls near my home in NJ, and it was
years (15+) before I saw one that I didn't have to go looking for.  Another
owl fairly common in residential areas is the great-horned.  If you have
any red-tailed hawks nearby, you probably also have great-horned owls.

>Any advice from those who know about owls would be very much appreciated.
>Thanks,
>--
>Paul Dubuc   |   The true light that enlightens every one
>att!asr1!pmd |   was coming into the world ...

-Greg

Greg Pasquariello	(916) 920-9092		grp@unify.UUCP
Unify Corporation				...!{csusac, pyramid}!unify!grp

pmd@cbnews.ATT.COM (Paul Dubuc) (03/01/90)

    Sandra Macika suggested that I keep all of you posted on what's happening
with the owl in our yard.  I will do that.  Nothing much has happend yet.
"Hoover" (our name for the owl) is still there in the tree.  Since I
posted the original article, I've received some very good advice from
several people, been in touch with a couple of people from local wildlife
organizations, and done some reading about owls.
    I decided to call the city tree service to see if they will hold
off cutting the tree down for at least a year.  They said they would send
an inspector out.  Once they've marked a tree for cutting (they paint
blue dot on the trunk), they are liable for any hazard posed by the
tree.  The tree is still mostly alive, so I'm hoping right now that they
will agree to put off cutting it down.  I haven't heard from them yet.
    I'd like to put up an owl house in one of my other trees (some people have
sent me dimensions for making one), but I don't hold much hope for this owl
of moving into it.  Maybe for future owls ... but it's more likely to be used
by squirrels than an owl.  A local shop that specializes in bird homes has
some owl houses made of cedar.  Is that a good wood to use?

}
}Owls often use crevices and holes as roosts as well as nest sites, so it
}may not be a nest.  But with spring approaching, why take the chance?

One person I talked to was woman who runs an organization which takes care
of injured wildlife.  She said that screech owls nest in April or May.  (The
great horned owls are nesting now, though).  I've read that screech owls get
very quiet and secretive when nesting and this one is not quiet.  We hear it
almost every night.  Most of the time, I find it sitting in this tree hole
(about 15 feet off the ground), though on a couple of evenings I've heard
it on my large white pine in the back yard.  Neighbors have said that they've
heard it in their yards also.  (It's a pleasant sound, I think; a vibrating
note, not a screech--although I've read that they do make a screeching
sound sometimes.  It seems content to sing like this even while I stand
under the tree watching it.)  It is getting close and I expecially do not
want them cutting the tree down then.  If the city refuses to spare the
tree, she suggested that I insist them cutting it when I'm there so they
don't cut into the nest.  I could possibly move the section of the tree
with the nest into another tree and hope the owl continues to care for the
young.  She didn't sound too hopeful about trying to "fight City Hall" about
saving the tree, but I did get the names of some people to call if it comes
to that.

}BTW: Screech owls are probably much more common in your area than you
}think, even if you live in a city.  In residential and suburban areas,
}they are typically one of the most common raptors, although you would
}never guess it.  I had many screech owls near my home in NJ, and it was
}years (15+) before I saw one that I didn't have to go looking for.

Well I've been living in this part of the city for 8 years and this is
the first I can remember even hearing one at night, but I'm sure you
are right.  I've been hearing this one for several weeks (since early
December, I think) but I didn't actually see it until 2 weeks ago when
a neighbor told us where it was.  During the day, it often sits in the
hole with its head out, eyes almost shut.  It mimics the tree so well
that, even then, it's very hard to see.  I haven't caught it out flying
around yet.  I hear dawn and dusk are the best times for that.

}Another owl fairly common in residential areas is the great-horned.
}If you have any red-tailed hawks nearby, you probably also have
}great-horned owls.

Now that would be really something!  Might cut down on the number of
pesty cats running around the yard. ;-)
--
Paul Dubuc   |   "If a man would live well, let him fetch his last day
att!asr1!pmd |   to him, and make it always his company-keeper."
	     |   				John Bunyan

pmd@cbnews.ATT.COM (Paul Dubuc) (03/01/90)

I think we've resolved the problem with the owl satisfactorily.  The
city tree inspector was out yesterday and said that there would be
no problem holding off cutting the tree down until August or so.  If
the owl(s) aren't out and about by then, I'll call him back.  He seemed
very cooperative, saying that they often postpone cutting trees for
the sake of nesting squirrels, etc.  He just needs to make sure the tree
isn't a hazard to humans which, happily, our's is not.  Now to see if
this roost develops into a nest.  Haven't seen or heard a mate around
yet.

Thanks to all who responded to my problem.  I'm still going to build
that nesting box so maybe we'll get one again after the old tree is gone.

--
Paul Dubuc   |   "For religion all men are equal, as all pennies
att!asr1!pmd |   are equal, because the only value in any of them
	     |   is that they bear the image of the king."
	     |   			G. K. Chesterton

pmd@cbnews.ATT.COM (Paul Dubuc) (03/05/90)

    This latest installment of our owl story is a bit sad, but I'm still
hopeful that it may turn out all right.  Yesterday (Sunday), after church,
I found our owl sitting quietly, with eyes closed, in the street by the curb
under the tree where he's been roosting.  This was about 1:00 PM in bright
daylight.  Even I knew something had to be wrong.  I have no idea how long
he'd been sitting there.  The last I saw him in the tree was Saturday after
noon.  I didn't hear him that night, so he could have been there most of the
evening and I just hadn't noticed.  My neighbor and I picked him up and though
still alive, he didn't struggle.  I couldn't see anything obviously wrong,
but I put him in a a box, covered it with a blanket and brought him to the
Wildlife Rehabilitation and Research Cooperative (WRRC) here in Columbus.
(This is one of the contacts I made while trying to figure out how to save
the owl's tree from being cut down.  I'm sure glad I had their number handy.
I wouldn't have known what to do otherwise.)   The people there really seemed
to know what they were doing.  They examined Hoover (our name for the owl)
and put him into an incubator to keep him warm.  He was in shock with trauma
from some sort of impact on his left side.  They could feel swelling, but
couldn't tell if anything was broken until they do an X-ray.  Most likely
he was hit by a passing car.
    That's were I left our owl (In good hands, at least).  I'm glad I found
him before a neighborhood cat or dog did (or before someone decided to park
their car where he was sitting).  If Hoover recovers well enough to be
released, they said they would bring him back to our yard to do so.  This
surprised me.  I thought he would be better off in a park.  But owls are
territorial birds and I suppose it's better to have him back in a place
that is familiar.  We sure do miss hearing his song in the evening.  My
family has become pretty attached to this little owl, our neighbors are
concerned too.  If he comes back, I plan to build a nesting box for him in
one of our other trees.  This tree, besides being marked for removal by the
city, is not a good place for an owl.  The cavity faces the street and
the only flight path out of it is across the street.  Owls are low flyers,
apparently.  I saw him fly out at dusk on Friday and he was almost hit by
a car then.  It looks like some starlings have taken over his old tree
cavity already, anyway.
    I'll post again here for those who are interested when I get more news.
--
Paul Dubuc   |   "We must know where to doubt, where to feel
att!asr1!pmd |   certain, where to submit.  He who does not