[rec.birds] Zebra Finches

sporer@Stardent.COM (Michael Sporer @stardent) (03/15/90)

I am considering getting 2-4 Zebra Finches and hanging the cage
in an atrium about 10' off the floor. I have a 3 1/2 year old and
a 9month old and am concerned about the cleanliness of these
birds. I have never had caged birds but I saw and heard some in
a pet shop a few days ago. Can anyone relate any experiences with
them or give me some advice?

I also have 2 cats (which is why I want to have the cage up in the
air. Any problems I should be aware of?

Thanks...Michael

--
Michael Sporer             uunet!stardent!sporer
Stardent Computer Inc      sporer@stardent.com

tjarc@sleepy.bmd.trw.com (03/16/90)

In article <1990Mar15.143841.7508@Stardent.COM>, sporer@Stardent.COM (Michael Sporer @stardent) writes:
> I am considering getting 2-4 Zebra Finches and hanging the cage
> in an atrium about 10' off the floor. I have a 3 1/2 year old and
> a 9month old and am concerned about the cleanliness of these
> birds. I have never had caged birds but I saw and heard some in
> a pet shop a few days ago. Can anyone relate any experiences with
> them or give me some advice?

I have had parakeets in the past, but my sister has zebra finches now!
My observation is that they make less mess than parakeets and seem
to have more personality.  One thing though, they seem to breed like
rabbits.  My sister is constantly removing eggs from the nest.  I don't
know if this is all that unusual for zebra finches - being soooo
compatible and all.  I think they're cute little birds.  Once the cats
get used to 'em, you shouldn't have any problem.  Cats (I have four), just
like children, need to be trained - read disclipined!

=Tim=

mary@dinorah.wustl.edu (Mary E. Leibach) (03/20/90)

sporer@Stardent.COM (Michael Sporer @stardent) writes:

>I am considering getting 2-4 Zebra Finches

I would get 2, or at least 5 or 6.  3 or 4 will give you pecking order
problems.  Also, be aware that zebras take about the same attitude
toward breeding that rabbits do.  They are hot to trot, and breed till
they drop.  You should be prepared for babies, and for separating the
birds if they overbreed.  They should have no more than three clutches
of eggs a year, or you will risk loosing your female(s) to eggbinding.

>and hanging the cage
>in an atrium about 10' off the floor.

Birds are more secure if they are higher up.  Just be aware that the
cage will have to be serviced and cleaned, and that you will either
have to go up there, or bring them down to you.  I don't know about
you, but I'm not sure I would be all that comfy cleaning a cage 10
feet in the air.

You are aware that finches do need large cages?  Bird Talk recommends
a LENGTH of at least 30" for a pair.  You might need a small aviary if
you want more than a pair.

>I have a 3 1/2 year old and
>a 9month old

I presume you mean the young of the species Homo Sapiens.  From the
context, it could be cats or birds too.  I'm proceeding with the
assumption of human children.

>and am concerned about the cleanliness of these
>birds.

As far as personal hygene goes, zebras LOVE to bathe.  Mine bathe at
least once a day, and splash so much water that they hose down their
cages too.  My female often has half the contents of her water dish on
the floor of the cage by the end of the day.  As long as your children
do not put the birds in their mouths or something, they should be
alright.  However, the area under and around the cage will need
frequent vacuuming due to seed hulls and feathers being scattered all over.

>I have never had caged birds but I saw and heard some in
>a pet shop a few days ago. Can anyone relate any experiences with
>them or give me some advice?

Get the biggest cage you can possibly afford that's made for finches.
Mine live in a 3 foot x 2 foot x 20 inch high galvinized wire cage
made by Safeguard.  You can get the 800 number in Bird Talk magazine.
The cage cost less than $50, but I had to put it together.  It doesn't
hang, though you might be able to build something to hang it from.  It
is only big enough for a pair and young babies.  Also, you should be
aware that finches do not live on seed alone, but need veggies,
fruits, and some form of protein (bugs, dog food, etc.).  You should
find an avian vet before you get the birds.  He can help you with
medical problems.  Bird Talk magazine is also another great resource.

>I also have 2 cats (which is why I want to have the cage up in the
>air. Any problems I should be aware of?

I've never had cats and birds, so I will leave this to someone else.

	-Mary

tjarc@sleepy.bmd.trw.com writes:

>I have had parakeets in the past, but my sister has zebra finches now!
>My observation is that they make less mess than parakeets and seem
>to have more personality.

I beg your pardon!  True, zebras have personality, I wouldn't want to offend
Dayna and Del.  But my parakeet, Blakey, is friendly, semi-tame, and
affectionate.  His vocabulary is quickly exceeding that of even Cally
the Precocious Cockatiel herself!  Granted, he is somewhat confused,
he thinks I am a bird.  How do I know?  He called me "Mary Bird"!  I
have never said "Mary Bird" to him.  Dayna and Del don't even have an
opinion on the subject.

	-Mary