[rec.birds] Do birds experience pain as we do?

dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) (03/19/90)

I just spent nearly an hour ripping some very stubborn bloodfeathers out
of an equally stubborn peregrine falcon.  By the time I was done, it was
difficult to tell which of us was more stressed out.  In fact, I was so
upset by the task that I had to turn the bird over to another person to
clean off the blood when I was done.

Let me interject at this point that a bloodfeather is sort of like an
"ingrown feather", and results when a bird is unable to preen the feather
shafts.  These become very brittle and tend to bleed heavily from the
shaft when broken, creating a potentially dangerous bloodloss situation.

With each pull on the broken feathers, the poor falcon gave what very
strongly resembled a pain response:  that is, she screamed herself hoarse
and flailed wildly about.  My own stress response was caused by the fact
that I was apparently putting this bird through an awful lot of physical
torment which I could not avoid.

My questions are twain:  Do birds feel pain in the same sense that we do,
or is it, as some claim, a much lesser feeling of discomfort that results
more in a fear reaction than in the actual physical agony that humans feel;
secondly, if indeed they do feel pain, is there any form of topical or
local anesthetic that can be used safely upon a bird to help reduce the
stress of an emergency procedure like this?  General anesthesia is
obviously out of the question, especially for a field rescue.

Please respond via email, if you have any answers to either of these
questions, particularly the latter.

--
Sam Conway                             * If you are not listed on the
dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu           * National Registry of Bone Marrow

christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson) (03/20/90)

In article <20693@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) writes:
>I just spent nearly an hour ripping some very stubborn bloodfeathers out
>of an equally stubborn peregrine falcon.  By the time I was done, it was
>difficult to tell which of us was more stressed out.  In fact, I was so
>upset by the task that I had to turn the bird over to another person to
>clean off the blood when I was done.
>
>My questions are twain:  Do birds feel pain in the same sense that we do,
>or is it, as some claim, a much lesser feeling of discomfort that results
>more in a fear reaction than in the actual physical agony that humans feel;
>secondly, if indeed they do feel pain, is there any form of topical or
>local anesthetic that can be used safely upon a bird to help reduce the
>stress of an emergency procedure like this?  General anesthesia is
>obviously out of the question, especially for a field rescue.
>
>Please respond via email, if you have any answers to either of these
>questions, particularly the latter.

Sorry about replying over the net, but my mailer bounced this.  Here goes.
I don't know about the latter question (I don't KNOW the answer to either
but I can give you a line on who you should ask...)  Anyhow, here in
New York there is this great place called the Animal Medical Center.  I'm
sure that in your line of work, you've heard of it.  Why not drop them a
line or give them a call?  I'm sure they'd be more than happy to suggest
something.

Now, the first question, about pain & suffering.  In the upcoming 20th
International Congress in Christchurch (this December) there is a symposium
on pain & stress in birds, under the physiology section.  The conveners
are A. Elzanowski and M. Abs, both from the Federal Republic of Germany.
The titles given in the circular, with authors, are as follows:

	M.J. Gentle (United Kingdom).  Behavioural & physiological       			responses to pain in the chicken.

	C.A. Ristau (USA).  Avian intelligence & suffering.

	J. Mench (USA).  Stress responses in birds.

	J.F. Hurnik (Canada).  Behavioral analyses of pain & suffering
		in domestic birds.

	A. Feduccia (USA).  Stress on birds in zoos.

>Sam Conway                             * If you are not listed on the
>dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu           * National Registry of Bone Marrow
>Chemistry Dept., Dartmouth College, NH * Donors...you should be.
>Vermont Raptor Center (VINS)           * Contact your local Red Cross.

You might try giving anyone of these people a buzz.  What you've asked,
is a lot like asking a bird (or any anumal) whether it feels emotions, or
has opinions on things, or, well, take your pick.  We can't KNOW, because
THEY can't tell us.  Now, before anyone flames me on this, let me add that
I have opinions on the matter, and we probably agree on most of them.  But
I stand by what I said- we can't KNOW until we can communicate.

Chris Thompson

--
"Never count a human dead until you've seen the body.  And even
then you can make a mistake".

mary@dinorah.wustl.edu (Mary E. Leibach) (03/21/90)

christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson) writes:
>You might try giving anyone of these people a buzz.  What you've asked,
>is a lot like asking a bird (or any anumal) whether it feels emotions, or
>has opinions on things, or, well, take your pick.  We can't KNOW, because
>THEY can't tell us.  Now, before anyone flames me on this, let me add that
>I have opinions on the matter, and we probably agree on most of them.  But
>I stand by what I said- we can't KNOW until we can communicate.

No flames here, but I do disagree.  First you might want to check out an
article in Bird Talk Magazine.  There they discussed the research a
certain person is doing with an African Gray.  They have taught him to
talk, and he can identify objects, identify colors, and count.  His
intelligence is estimated to rival that of a chimp's.  He even
distinguishes between cooked corn and hard corn, calling the latter
"rock corn".  "rock corn" is a phrase of his own making.  He was
taught to identify a rock as "rock", and they suppose he associated
the rock's characteristic of hardness with the hard corn.
Unfortunately I don't remember which specific issue this was in.
However, in almost every issue of Bird Talk you will find examples of
parrots associating certain words with their meanings, and I also
remember an excellent article on Amazon body language.  There was also
a story about two larger parrots.  One got out of his cage, but his
friends cage was locked.  The free bird had seen the cage unlocked and
knew where the key was.  He got it, and tried to use it on the lock.
The key fell into the cage.  The caged bird picked up and passed it
out to the free bird.  The free bird succeeded in unlocking the cage,
but the owner who was supposed to be gone and was actually watching
their antics, prevent the escape from proceeding further.  They
presented this as a true story (I do wonder a little), but if it is
true, it shows birds working together and using tools!  I do know my
two largest parrots (cockatiel and conure) can untie knots, unscrew
wingnuts, and disassemble small chains.

Living with 3 parrots and 2 finches has really enriched my life.  I
have also gotten to the point where I can identify their moods and
understand their communication between each other and with me.  Thanks
to Cally's excellent training, if you give me a picture of a cockatiel
I can usually identify the mood of the bird at the time the picture
was took.  There have been a few pictures of cockatiels in Bird Talk,
where the subjects were very upset and about to have a hissy fit.  ;-)
My parrots use body language and calls to communicate with each other,
and body and verbal language, and gestures to communicate with me.
For example, when Cally wants her head preened, she will lean it
against Vila's chest.  If the preening does not come in a (to her)
reasonable amount of time, she will proceed to chew on his toes until
he complies with the request.  When Cally wants out of the cage, she
will sit by the front door.  If she is really adamant, she will go to
a smaller side door, and repeatedly lift it up and drop it with a bang
until she is let out, or looses interest.  She plays peek-a-boo with
me, and SAYS "peek-a-boo".  She says and knows the difference between
"I'll be back" and "I'll be RIGHT back".  Cally also knows her name,
and will recognize it even when it's said on TV.  (All of my birds are
named after characters in Blake's 7.  When Cally first watched it,
every time her name was said, she answered with "Pretty Bird" or a
wolf whistle.)

Blakey rivals Cally's vocabulary if not her intelligence.  The lastest
new thing he has said is "Mary Bird".  I have NEVER said "Mary Bird"
before he said it.  He knows his name, and can say Cally's (I don't
know if he associates the word with her), and seems to know that
"Mary" (or rather "Mary Bird" ;-) is my name, even though I don't say
it ("Mary") much.

Back to the original subject.  Yes, my birds have given me reason to
believe they feel (and aren't particularly fond of) pain.  A few weeks
ago, Cally was having some sort of problem with her new flight
feathers (she's moulting, again, yet, take your pick).  When she
raised or stretched her left wing, she yelped.  She could fly all
right, but moving the wing in a certain way hurt.  It didn't take more
than a day or two to get over it, but I'd say it was clear evidence
for her feeling pain.  There have been other examples of pain, but
this was the best one that did not include a reason to be fearful or
stressed.   Cally and Blakey thrash when they are scared, Vila just
cowers.

	-Mary

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (03/21/90)

That's one that I've often thought about because we've had to pull blood
feathers on birds before.  Unfortunately, there is usually no alternative.
Pull the feather or the bird bleeds to death.

Anyway, my amazon growls when he is being hurt (granted, he growl at other
times too, but the "pain" growl is different and more intense).  My vet has
also told me that she believes that birds feel pain.  She always apologizes
to them and covers their head with a towel before doing anything that might
hurt.

I think it would be far safer to assume that they DO experience pain
so that we never hurt them needlessly.  that goes for outdoor too.
p.s.  How about more falcon/hawk stories?  They are facinating.

Mikki Barry

richman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael Richman) (03/21/90)

In article <1990Mar20.204745.6549@intercon.com> ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:

>I think it would be far safer to assume that they DO experience pain
>so that we never hurt them needlessly.  that goes for outdoor too.
>
>Mikki Barry

Now there's an intelligent thought.  Rather than asking the  ori-
ginal  question from the viewpoint of how a bird might measure up
to man in terms of pain, Mikki turns the table and asks  to  show
how they are different.  This has interesting implications to the
original wild birds being treated.  Hats off to you, Mikki (:-).
=  Mike Richman    smart internet/bitnet/uucp: mrichman@uiuc.edu  =
=  U of Illinois   old bitnet: mrichman%uiuc.edu@uiucvmd          =
=  Water Survey    old uucp: uunet!uiuc.edu!mrichman              =