[rec.birds] Snipe and Woodcocks

horvath@granite.cr.bull.com (John Horvath) (03/21/90)

Speaking of confusing migrants, I was also wondering about
Snipes and woodcocks. We get alot of woodcocks in our area and
they are now doing their aerial display flights. I usually
hear them more than see them. I've read that Snipes also
do a similar display, but it wasn't mentioned how similar.
Since snipes are only passing through my area, its possible
that they aren't going to be doing flight displays anyways.
Are they both done only at twilight? Is the snipe as light
dependent?

(If you aren't familiar with the woodcock's flight, take a look
at some detailed description of it. A good description is in
Leopold's Sand County Alamanac. Talk about bizarre compulsive
behavior!)

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (03/22/90)

In article <1990Mar20.231734.11169@granite.cr.bull.com>, horvath@granite.cr.bull.com (John Horvath) writes:
> We get alot of woodcocks in our area and
> they are now doing their aerial display flights. I usually
> hear them more than see them. I've read that Snipes also
> do a similar display, but it wasn't mentioned how similar.
> Since snipes are only passing through my area, its possible
> that they aren't going to be doing flight displays anyways.
> Are they both done only at twilight? Is the snipe as light
> dependent?

	I've never seen woodcock doing their flight display except
on TV, but I've seen snipe doing theirs in the middle of the day.
I believe that the only sound made by snipe during their display is
the fluttering  produced by their tail feathers, while woodcock
vocalize with a "peent" sound and a twittering.

Mike

hansen@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Steve Hansen) (03/22/90)

In article <56998@oliveb.olivetti.com> mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:
>In article <1990Mar20.231734.11169@granite.cr.bull.com>, horvath@granite.cr.bull.com (John Horvath) writes:
>> We get alot of woodcocks in our area and
>> they are now doing their aerial display flights. I usually
>> hear them more than see them. I've read that Snipes also
>> do a similar display, but it wasn't mentioned how similar.
>> Since snipes are only passing through my area, its possible
>> that they aren't going to be doing flight displays anyways.
>> Are they both done only at twilight? Is the snipe as light
>> dependent?
>
>	I've never seen woodcock doing their flight display except
>on TV, but I've seen snipe doing theirs in the middle of the day.
>I believe that the only sound made by snipe during their display is
>the fluttering  produced by their tail feathers, while woodcock
>vocalize with a "peent" sound and a twittering.
>
>Mike

I've seen and heard both birds many times, although it has been a few years
since I last observed them.  The snipe seem to be diurnal in their displays,
and can be heard at any time during the day, but if I remember correctly,
they stop before the woodcock start up (They both displayed in the same area
around by childhood home).  The peent call by the woodcock is done only on
the ground, about 5 seconds apart.  The twittering by the woodcock is done
only in the air.  I have a good tape of the peent calls by running in after
a woodcock took off and placing the tape recorder near the site at which he
last 'peented'.  On moonlit nights, the woodcock call all night, otherwise
they call only in a short window of time near sunset (and presumably sunrise).

Steve Hansen
Manhattan, Kansas (I heard the woodcock and snipe in Minnesota)