[rec.birds] Birding on the Keys?

pratt@paul.rutgers.edu (Lorien Y. Pratt) (04/11/90)

Can anybody recommend a good birding spot on the Florida Keys, near
mm 100?  We're going to the everglades before then, but were thinking we
might see some neat species after that as well. Is there a book on this?
Thanks for any suggestions,
  Lorien
L. Y. Pratt                            	   Computer Science Department
pratt@paul.rutgers.edu                     Rutgers University
                                           Hill Center
(201) 932-4634                             New Brunswick, NJ  08903, USA

sandee@loligo (Daan Sandee (SCRI)) (04/12/90)

In article <Apr.10.20.07.47.1990.23487@paul.rutgers.edu> pratt@paul.rutgers.edu (Lorien Y. Pratt) writes:
>Can anybody recommend a good birding spot on the Florida Keys, near
>mm 100?  We're going to the everglades before then, but were thinking we
>might see some neat species after that as well. Is there a book on this?
>Thanks for any suggestions,
>  Lorien
>L. Y. Pratt                            	   Computer Science Department

This should be included in this newsgroup's list of Frequently Asked Questions.
Several people already gave correct answers , I'll summarize:
1. Call ABA at 1-800-634-7736 and order :
      A Birder's Guide To Florida, by Lane & Holt (1989 edition)
      Birds of South Florida, by Connie Toops
 Or you can buy them from the Everglades Nat.Pk. Visitor Center.
2. Visit the Nat Aud Soc in Tavernier, as Annika suggests. (I was there in
  Jan 89, so my info is not any more up to date).
Be sure to pay a visit to the nesting Bahama Swallow in South Miami - Lane's
book has the location.