[rec.birds] HOTLINE : San Antonio 5/25

sandee@fsu.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) (05/31/90)

Date:         Wed, 30 May 90 23:38:00 MST
Sender: National Birding Hotline Cooperative <BIRD_RBA%ARIZVM1@AVM.CC.FSU.EDU>
From: CWILLIAMSON%PIMACC.PIMA.EDU@AVM.CC.FSU.EDU
Subject:      San Antonio Texas 5-25-90
To: Daan Sandee <sandee@VSSERV.SCRI.FSU.EDU>

Note: This transcript is provided as a random event
      by BIRD_RBA in the hope that someone more local
      to San Antonio than Tucson will take over the
      transcription and posting duties of this and
      other Texas tapes! -cw-

This is the San Antonio Audubon Society with our May 25th
recording. (512) 733-8306

Local sightings at Mitchel Lake on the 20th to the 22nd include
WHITE PELICAN, OLIVACEOUS CORMORANT, GREAT EGRET, NORTHERN
PINTAIL, GADWALL, LESSER SCAUP, RUDDY DUCK, 5 FULVOUS WHISTLING-
DUCKS, SORA, a pair of AMERICAN AVOCETS with eggs, SEMIPALMATED,
LEAST, BAIRD'S, PECTORAL, and STILT SANDPIPER, COMMON GALLINULE,
WILSON'S PHALAROPE, BLACK-BELLIED and AMERICAN PLOVER, LESSER
YELLOWLEGS, FRANKLIN'S GULL, 3 BANK SWALLOWS, BLACK TERNS, CARA
CARA with young, and BLUE GROSBEAKS. On the 25th a HUDSONIAN
GODWIT was seen.

At Big Bend National Park on the 17th was a COMMON BLACK-HAWK,
LUCY'S WARBLER, and a THICK-BILLED KINGBIRD were seen at the
Cottonwood Campground and Steve Hawkins reported a ZONE-TAILED
HAWK at Pinnacle Pass at the Chiesos and BLACK-CHINNED SPARROWS
at Lagoona Meadows on the same date.

The Rio Grande Valley tape reports 2 singing YELLOW-GREEN VIREOS,
3 GREEN PARAKEETS, WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS, and HUDSONIAN GODWITS
at Lagoona Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge.

There were several reports of NORTHERN BEARDLESS TYRANNULETS at
Bentsen State Park Site 70 and at 2 locations in Santa Ana
National Wildlife Refuge.

The San Antonio Audubon Society has been a birding and
conservation club since 1954. We meet the first Thursday of each
month at 7:30 PM at the ( Rooobook (???)) Community Center at 419
East Magnolia. Our guest speaker on June 7th will be Stan White,
President of 'Keep San Antonio Beautiful'. He will discuss the
goals of his organization and share with us what's happening with
recycling in San Antonio.

On Saturday May 26th at 8 AM we will have our monthly field trip
to Mitchel Lake. Meet leader Earny Rooney on the entrance to the
left opposite the J and R Party House on (Moorson Blvd (???)).

On Saturday June 2nd, Berney (Ruffy (???)) will lead a trip to
Brackenridge Park and the group will meet at the main parking lot
on North Saint Mary's Street near the miniature train station at
8 AM.

The monthly beginner's bird walk at the Judson Nature Trail in
Alamo Heights will be lead by Georgina Swartz Saturday June 9th
at 7:45 AM.

Our out-of-town field trip for the month of June will be a
Rookery Island tour on Captain Ted's Skimmer out of Rockport
Texas. Reservations are required for this trip and further
information is available by leaving your name and phone number on
this tape.

If you would like further information on any of our activities,
on membership in our group, or just want to ask a question,
please leave your message with your name and phone number after
the beep and someone will contact you shortly.

beeeeeep