[rec.birds] How to dispel rats from raptor cages...?

dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) (06/03/90)

*SOS*

The cages housing our permanently-disabled hawks and owls are being
besieged by feral rats.  Our birds cannot catch live prey, so they are
fed pre-killed rats and mice.  The wild rats have a field day in the
cages grabbing the food, and the birds are unable to catch them.  There
were eight of the little bastards in the hawk owl cage this morning,
and one of them was brazen enough to bite me on the ankle while I was
trying to shoo him out!

We haven't enough money to fully ratproof the cages, which would involve
burying fine mesh at least a foot under the ground around the perimeter of
each cage (and we have LOTS of cages).  Poisons are out of the question,
for fear of the birds ingesting poisoned rats.  Snap-traps are useful only
outside the cages, and have-a-hearts are absolutely worthless -- the rats
can consistently take the bait without setting off the trap.  That leaves us
with very few possibilities.

A gentleman falconer suggested to me that we find ourselves a ferret and
place it inside a cage near the bird cages; the scent, he says, will drive
the rats away (and probably most of the staff).  Well, we happen to have a
ferret, but she's never been kept outdoors before.  Not only that, but the
director is more terrified of what the ferret might do to the birds if she
got out of her cage.  I have tried taking her favorite sleeping-towel and
hanging it outside in one of our cage complexes (the ferret's, not the
director's); that was just this morning, so there is no word yet on how
effective it might have been.

Does anyone know of ANY way to combat this problem?  We are at the point
now that more of the food placed into the cages is going to the rats than
to the birds, and it is becoming a serious financial burden.  What can be
done, that will not prove detrimental to the birds?

Thanks ever so much in advance!

--
Sam Conway                             * What shape do you usually have?
dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu           * Mickey Mouse shape?  Smarties

J.M.Spencer@newcastle.ac.uk (J.M. Spencer) (06/04/90)

In article <22510@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) writes:
>*SOS*
>
>The cages housing our permanently-disabled hawks and owls are being
>besieged by feral rats.  Our birds cannot catch live prey, so they are
>fed pre-killed rats and mice.
>We haven't enough money to fully ratproof the cages, which would involve
>burying fine mesh at least a foot under the ground around the perimeter of
>each cage (and we have LOTS of cages).

It wouldn't work anyway.  The rats would still get in.  You would only
delay them for a while.

>  Poisons are out of the question,
>for fear of the birds ingesting poisoned rats.  Snap-traps are useful only
>outside the cages, and have-a-hearts are absolutely worthless -- the rats
>can consistently take the bait without setting off the trap.  That leaves us
>with very few possibilities.

Live traps are available in the UK that will catch multiple rats.  It's then
a simple job to drop the trap into a barrel of water to kill the rats.  I
can dig out details if you wish?  I have used these traps: they *do* work.

Alternatives are the Fenn traps (your snap-traps). They must be laid inside
a tunnel into which the rat runs, then snap!  You could build small tunnels
(about a foot long) inside the aviaries, or better still, at the entrances
the rats are using.  Fix the tunnels but do not set the traps until the rats
are using the tunnels daily.  If you place the traps inside the aviary then
lay them inside tunnels which are against a wall.  Rats tend to follow the
"natural" lines.  You'll have much greater success than scatterring traps
"out in the open" so to speak.

>A gentleman falconer suggested to me that we find ourselves a ferret and
>place it inside a cage near the bird cages; the scent, he says, will drive
>the rats away (and probably most of the staff).

It won't work: I've killed rats that were found *underneath* my ferret hutch.

>  Well, we happen to have a
>ferret, but she's never been kept outdoors before.  Not only that, but the
>director is more terrified of what the ferret might do to the birds if she
>got out of her cage.

If the hawks are at all peckish they'll attack the ferret.  If the ferret
gets out and your hawks cannot kill it swiftly (they can't handle rats you
said), then the chances are the ferret will kill the hawks.  Don't risk it.