[rec.birds] going to maine coast, what should I look for?

nora@cbnewsl.att.com (nora.y.mclaughlin) (06/01/90)

I 1.5 weeks, I am going on vacation to Maine.  I'll be by the coast
and thought that surely there must be some good birds to check out.
Any comments on what may be special to look for there. I hear there
are puffins some where up there.

Looking forward to suggestions.
Nora

sandee@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) (06/06/90)

In article <1990May31.170926.3878@cbnewsl.att.com> nora@cbnewsl.att.com (nora.y.mclaughlin) writes:
>In 1.5 weeks, I am going on vacation to Maine.  I'll be by the coast
>and thought that surely there must be some good birds to check out.
>Any comments on what may be special to look for there. I hear there
>are puffins some where up there.
>Nora

Pierson and Pierson, "Birding on the coast of Maine", or some such title.
Available in local bookstores, or call the ABA at 1-800-634-1776. They
accept credit card orders.
The birding attractions in Maine depend on where you come from. For us
Southerners, it is the breeding warblers (Blackburnian, Bay-breasted,
Blue-winged, Canada, Blackpoll) and the sea birds (Common Eider and
Black Guillemot are common). Acadia Nat.Park is a good place.
For the advanced birder, an opportunity to have a shot at Empids. Here we
get them in migration, but they're silent, so unidentified.
Barney Norton runs a birder's boat out to Machias Seal Island, which has the
only Atlantic puffin colony in the U.S. plus Razorbill, Arctic Tern, and Common
Murre. You will need a reservation ; I'll email his phone number
tomorrow (unless somebody on the net has it by the hand?).

Daan Sandee                                           sandee@scri1.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045

horvath@granite.cr.bull.com (John Horvath) (06/06/90)

In article <64@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> sandee@sun13.UUCP (Daan Sandee) writes:
>In article <1990May31.170926.3878@cbnewsl.att.com> nora@cbnewsl.att.com (nora.y.mclaughlin) writes:
>>In 1.5 weeks, I am going on vacation to Maine.  I'll be by the coast
>>Any comments on what may be special to look for there. I hear there
>>are puffins some where up there.
>Barney Norton runs a birder's boat out to Machias Seal Island, which has the
>only Atlantic puffin colony in the U.S. plus Razorbill, Arctic Tern, and Comn
>Murre.

It isn't the only US colony. There is one further south, somewhere
off of Vinalhaven? This other place (that I can't remember the
island's name) is written up alot because a US agency is funding attempts to
restore a breeding population there. Wasn't there an article about
their 10 year results in the past audubon magazine?
Whatever it is named, getting there is more limited than Machias Island.
Although there are frequent opportunities during the summer to get there.

Machias Island is pretty interesting historically and geographically.
Its right at the border of the US and Canada. BB Norton says that its
his island since his father gave it to him and its US soil. Canada
says its in there waters and maintains the lighthouse there. The US
apparently has no comment. When BB takes people there, the
Canadians limit how many and when. This is fine, since it is in the
best interest of the breeding birds.

Lots of tourist trap places claim that they can show you puffins from
their tour boats. Its highly unlikely since the puffins are pretty
much confined to these two areas. Any other sightings usually happen
only by chance or after storms.

The Maine coast is pretty big, at least 300 miles (depending how you
measure it). The best chance to see the good stuff is in the more
isolated nothern coastly end.

There are alot of harbor seals and gray seals are becoming more
frequent. Whales are more dispersed there then they are further south.
The past two years, the osprey population has seemed to explode
everywhere along the coast (IMHO).

Have a good time.

sandee@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) (06/07/90)

In article <64@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> sandee@sun13.UUCP (Daan Sandee) writes:
>Pierson and Pierson, "Birding on the coast of Maine", or some such title.
Actually, "A Birder's Guide for the coast of Maine.", $7.50.
>Barney Norton runs a birder's boat out to Machias Seal Island, which has the
>only Atlantic puffin colony in the U.S. plus Razorbill, Arctic Tern, and Common
>Murre.
Barna has retired. His son John now runs the boat (summer only - Mem thru Labor
Day). John Norton, Jonesport, ME (forty miles E of MtDesertIsland),
207-497-5933. Normally, trip takes 8am-2pm, $50 ($20 when no landing is possible
because of wind and tide ; refund when no puffins are seen).
Wear all the warm clothing you possess, even in June. Also, except in a flat
calm (which doesn't occur on the Maine coast), take a Dramamine pill.