[rec.birds] Help me ID this bird

edm@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Ed Matthews) (07/10/90)

I was stumped by a bird last night -- don't even have a guess.  Maybe
someone can come up with an idea.  Description:

Small passerine, resembling slate junco, only smaller, sleeker, less round;
half the size of nearby female blue grossbeak; finch/sparrow-like gray beak;
dark eye, no eye-ring, moustache, wing bars or identifying characteristics;
charcoal gray all over with underside slightly paler; notched, single color
tail, more notched than slate junco, about like house finch tail; fully-fledged
and probably not juvenal; hopping and flitting from branch to branch in mixed
cedar/pine/shrub thicket at edge of pasture in northern Virginia; song a long
fairly loud series of tcheek calls at 1/2 to 1 second intervals, not unlike
the chip of a cardinal, but different.
--

Ed Matthews                                                edm@verdix.com
Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600

grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) (07/11/90)

>In article <35287@vrdxhq.verdix.com> edm@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Ed Matthews) writes:

>   From: edm@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Ed Matthews)
>   Newsgroups: rec.birds
>   Date: 10 Jul 90 14:12:20 GMT
>
>   I was stumped by a bird last night -- don't even have a guess.  Maybe
>   someone can come up with an idea.  Description:
>
>   Small passerine, resembling slate junco, only smaller, sleeker, less round;
>   half the size of nearby female blue grossbeak; finch/sparrow-like gray beak;
>   dark eye, no eye-ring, moustache, wing bars or identifying characteristics;
>   charcoal gray all over with underside slightly paler; notched, single color
>   tail, more notched than slate junco, about like house finch tail; fully-fledged
>   and probably not juvenal; hopping and flitting from branch to branch in mixed
>   cedar/pine/shrub thicket at edge of pasture in northern Virginia; song a long
>   fairly loud series of tcheek calls at 1/2 to 1 second intervals, not unlike
>   the chip of a cardinal, but different.
>   --
>
>   Ed Matthews                                                edm@verdix.com
>   Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600
>   Chantilly, Virginia

Sounds like a female or immature indigo bunting.  The habitat is correct, as
is the general nondescript nature of the bird.  The color is a bit off, but
that could be a lighting problem.  The bunting is a mousy brown.

Another bird that matches this description, except for size, is a female or
imm. brown-headed cowbird.

--

-Greg Pasquariello	grp@unify.com